Author Topic: filling a pantry VS Stockpiling -- what's the difference?  (Read 4843 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
filling a pantry VS Stockpiling -- what's the difference?
« on: September 01, 2015, 07:03:36 AM »
I've been thinking about this a long time and I just don't know what the difference is?

I fill my pantry when I see deals so I have an extra or two of something so I don't have to run out when we're on the last spoonful of something. I have enough oats to last a couple of months and a case of peanut butter and things like that in my pantry. I also have pasta, ketchup, soups, potatoes, rice, case of tomatoes etc. just so I don't have to go shopping for these items every week. I have a freezer full of veggies from the garden too. I don't love shopping and love to reach into a pantry for something to make for dinner. I have three extra rolls of paper towels and a case of TP as well as three extra tubes of toothpaste just for when we run out, I don't have to run to the store.

Is this stockpiling or just keeping a pantry and cupboard filled with necessities?

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: filling a pantry VS Stockpiling -- what's the difference?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 07:15:59 AM »
I am guessing this is very open to personal interpretation, lol.

For me, stockpiling is buying enough of something at the best price to get me through till when I expect it to be at that price again.  For example, sale on PB.  Buying maybe three months' worth to get through till I get that on sale again.  I know some people aim for more than 3 months, but that is my personal goal.

Offline Anne Ofalamo

• ~never lose your JOY
    • anne of alamo blog
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 09:16:59 AM »
I have turned into an insane deal buyer! I see something we use on sale and I go crazed buying all I can afford. I am vowing to slow down, and think, "really? do I need 10 family size jars of peanut butter?" nope.
I just cleaned out both fridges...what? yes, two fridges, and one is empty. I am going to see how long I can go without it and then sell it. It uses lots of electricity and room. I moved it to our back patio. Perhaps I can fill with waters, and such?? but I am hoping to declutter it!
anyways, I babble.
I think it is a personal thought to the difference. How many boxes of something does one need? I think they probably go on sale more often than we think.
married 25 years
7kids
boys; 19(married), 17, 10, 8, and 7
twin girls 16
2 dogs
blogging our life here

Offline Alice

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 09:33:30 AM »
Anne,

I'm thinking the same way.  How much does one really need to store away?

My life now is that we moved to a smaller home with 3 young adult kids so we are 5 adults in the home. I used to always have a full storage of TP, paper towels, canned goods, etc. but now the 3 kids are all away at college or working- one who just graduated college and is a teacher but living at home with us. We used to have two freezers and two refrigerators but when we moved, we sold one freezer and left the old second refrigerator with the home. I really don't miss either one.  I used to buy 6 gallons of milk at a time but now it's just one or two depending on how many people are home. All summer, when the kids were all home, we drank only two gallons of milk in about a 10 day time frame.

We realistically don't need the large quantities of anything anymore. We also moved from a large country home with a lot of space to a small city (outskirts of the city) home. My nearest grocery store is less than 2 miles away and if I need anything, it is easy to go get it. Now with only one kid home this school year, I suspect we'll need a whole lot less groceries and stockpiling isn't all that necessary for us. A filled pantry is always good for those nights we get home and put together a simple meal from the pantry without having to go out and get an item or two. What's also really nice is that my 22 YO daughter can help me put together a simple meal. She shoots out some ideas and together we put it together. It helps her learn how to put a meal together and cook instead of running out to get something so that's a plus.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 05:44:30 PM »
During the winter of 2007 we went through some really lean times.  Money was tight, Tony was working in construction, and it was a really bad time for us.  The next year work picked up and we were in a better place financially.  I started taking a set amount of money each paycheck and built a nice little stockpile.  That was the year I really started building my pantry.

We moved to this house in January 2010 and it's a lot smaller than our other house.  I don't have the space to store a huge amount like I used to, and to be honest, I don't want to.  Don't get me wrong, I still want a cushion in case something happens, but I've been working on downsizing everything and having a lot of food just gives me anxiety. :-\  I garden and can and freeze a good bit of vegetables so we have that in our pantry.  I also like to have extra items that can be used to make lots of things.

I don't consider what I have to be a stockpile.  I just think of it as a well-filled pantry.

Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 06:14:43 AM »
I was thinking about this more yesterday.  I shop to fill the pantry.  If we use something up and don't already have a backup, that goes on the list to purchase.  I know some make a list of what they want to cook, then shop accordingly.  Once in a awhile, I do that as well, maybe for a holiday meal or occasional special request from my family.  But overwhelmingly, I shop to keep certain items onhand.  Things that will definitely be used and I like to know they are there because then I can make pretty much anything I would normally cook.  Green chiles, for instance, and canned salmon. Beef and whole chickens in the freezer.  Certain staples.  I always keep sour cream onhand, not just for use in certain meals but also because I know I can easily whip up ranch dressing (which I never buy but my kids love so I make it).

So then as I mentioned in my earlier post, if one of those ingredients is on sale, I buy extra to stock up at the best possible price.  Right now peanut butter is .10 cheaper than the normal cheap at Aldi.  So I have been buying an extra each time I shop to stock up, knowing it is always a fallback for kids' lunches.  As Cheryl mentioned, this has really helped at those times when things are extraordinarily tight.  Having a few weeks like that now.  I need to buy the minimum the next couple of weeks.  But there is food here.  Some needs more cooking (dry beans), but it is here.  :)

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 06:28:14 AM »
Catherine, that is how I shop too.  I don't make a list of meals we'd like to eat and buy ingredients to prepare those meals.  I see what I have on hand and build my meals around that.  I buy extras of things I know we use a lot, staples like you said.  This works for us.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 06:47:30 AM »
The timing of this post by the Prudent Homemaker was perfect, this morning.  :)  http://theprudenthomemaker.com/blog/entry/september-s-shopping-plans-and-thoughts-on-stocking-a-pantry

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 12:32:17 PM »
I pretty much do the same as Catherine and Cheryl.

I made a veggie scramble for us Sunday, and hubby said "you might want to get some more cans of mushrooms, this was the only one I could find" (when I sent him downstairs to my pantry shelves). I picked up 4 cans this afternoon when I ran to the store.

I am in the process of reevaluating how many of things I need to have on hand now that it is just him and me here.

I do go down and do a once over every few months to see if I have over bought, or am low on anything that I need to watch for sales on.  Seems like I always have an overabundance of tomato paste or tomato sauce! (until I need it for something - those are the times I seem to be out!!)  LOL!

We all have to figure out what works for each of our families. What works for some might not make a bit of sense for others! It seems like so much of this is a constant learning process!

Here's to another day in school!!  ;)
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline wrancher

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 06:35:29 AM »
Pam how did you make the veggie scramble? Sounds good

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 09:22:44 AM »
Janice:
I just took some chopped onion, chopped colored peppers, a can of mushrooms, and some spinach in a skillet sprayed with cooking spray.
Once they were soft, I added 6 eggs that I whisked with a little bit of water.
Cooked it up and added some seasonings (mrs. dash type).
Done, and done!
You could add cheese if you wanted to, but it was good without it too.
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline Alice

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 09:24:12 AM »
Kind of like an inside out omelet! My kids make these all the time but they just have to have cheese!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 05:09:10 AM »
Here is something some might be interested in reading.

http://preparednessmama.com/3-month-food-supply/
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn