The Barn and Fields > Preparing for Winter and Disasters

filling a pantry VS Stockpiling -- what's the difference?

<< < (2/3) > >>

greyhoundgirl:
I was thinking about this more yesterday.  I shop to fill the pantry.  If we use something up and don't already have a backup, that goes on the list to purchase.  I know some make a list of what they want to cook, then shop accordingly.  Once in a awhile, I do that as well, maybe for a holiday meal or occasional special request from my family.  But overwhelmingly, I shop to keep certain items onhand.  Things that will definitely be used and I like to know they are there because then I can make pretty much anything I would normally cook.  Green chiles, for instance, and canned salmon. Beef and whole chickens in the freezer.  Certain staples.  I always keep sour cream onhand, not just for use in certain meals but also because I know I can easily whip up ranch dressing (which I never buy but my kids love so I make it).

So then as I mentioned in my earlier post, if one of those ingredients is on sale, I buy extra to stock up at the best possible price.  Right now peanut butter is .10 cheaper than the normal cheap at Aldi.  So I have been buying an extra each time I shop to stock up, knowing it is always a fallback for kids' lunches.  As Cheryl mentioned, this has really helped at those times when things are extraordinarily tight.  Having a few weeks like that now.  I need to buy the minimum the next couple of weeks.  But there is food here.  Some needs more cooking (dry beans), but it is here.  :)

Cheryl:
Catherine, that is how I shop too.  I don't make a list of meals we'd like to eat and buy ingredients to prepare those meals.  I see what I have on hand and build my meals around that.  I buy extras of things I know we use a lot, staples like you said.  This works for us.

greyhoundgirl:
The timing of this post by the Prudent Homemaker was perfect, this morning.  :)  http://theprudenthomemaker.com/blog/entry/september-s-shopping-plans-and-thoughts-on-stocking-a-pantry

pamgonzo:
I pretty much do the same as Catherine and Cheryl.

I made a veggie scramble for us Sunday, and hubby said "you might want to get some more cans of mushrooms, this was the only one I could find" (when I sent him downstairs to my pantry shelves). I picked up 4 cans this afternoon when I ran to the store.

I am in the process of reevaluating how many of things I need to have on hand now that it is just him and me here.

I do go down and do a once over every few months to see if I have over bought, or am low on anything that I need to watch for sales on.  Seems like I always have an overabundance of tomato paste or tomato sauce! (until I need it for something - those are the times I seem to be out!!)  LOL!

We all have to figure out what works for each of our families. What works for some might not make a bit of sense for others! It seems like so much of this is a constant learning process!

Here's to another day in school!!  ;)
Pam

wrancher:
Pam how did you make the veggie scramble? Sounds good

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version