Author Topic: my cat  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
my cat
« on: September 24, 2013, 08:23:56 AM »
I am wondering if anyone has an answer for me on this problem.

My indoor cat really doesn't have outdoor privileges but she does try to sneak out when the door is open so she has been outside on a limited basis. My other cat is an outdoor cat but with indoor privileges. When we moved to our house the bathroom window had no screen in it so it was just open to the garage. The indoor cat decided to begin moaning during the night and meow really strangely. Finally, we got sick of it and put her in the garage but she found the open window and let herself in the house. Now she thinks going in and out is just fine but we have since placed a screen in the window. She continues to moan and meow every single night which is really scary to hear. We close the bathroom doors so she has no access to the window. Do you think it is a desire to go out to the garage or is there a night critter (mouse) out there that she wants. I don't get what all the moaning is all about.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Leahsgarden

• doTERRA Essential Oils
Re: my cat
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 09:04:42 AM »
Is your cat spayed? I'm wondering if she's trying to call for a mate. My friend wasn't planning to fix his cat, but every night for 3 weeks she kept yowling. Once she was spayed, that put an end to it.
...Leah
wife to Chris
Mommy to Caleb, Logan, & Josie

Offline Alice

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 09:11:22 AM »
Yes, she's spayed. I should add she's a torti and they are notorious for being unhappy cats, and even mean.  But we've had her for about 6 years already and she's never done the moaning before. She has a ball of yarn that she's carries around like she's captured something and throws it around making all kinds of noise as if she was on this great hunt and got her prey. We hide that in the closet now because all this hunting goes on at night but now it's at the bathroom window where she moans. She is just possessed!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 09:17:45 AM »
My cats moan when they want something.  They sound like this cat here at about 1:26 into this video, but more drawn out and a little bit of a deeper sound, like they're mouth is held slightly more open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gQFB_Utuf0

All my cats are fixed, so they're not in heat or anything, but they still make that sound.  Usually they do it at night in the hall outside our room.  Quigon will sometimes do it in front of the door to outside when he wants out.  They're all indoor cats only, but they do sneak out on occasion. 

How long did she have access to the open window and how long has it been since you closed it off?  My cat Oreo used to yowl when he wanted the bathtub water turned on for a drink.  It used to leak and he could drink when he wanted.  When we fixed it, he got mad and would yowl.  It took about 2 months before he would stop. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:21:35 AM by Shelly »
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 09:55:28 AM »
Alice, you just moved, right?  Maybe she is having a hard time adjusting. If so, she may settle down over time.  That night time moaning has to be frustrating though.
 :(
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 10:35:03 AM »
Sounds to me like she is just unhappy because she is not getting her way. My Callie is usually very quiet, but if there is something she wants and I don't let her have it/do it, she yowls the walls down. Cats kind of have a one track mind, so it will take a while before she gives up on this. It will drive you crazy in the mean time. I believe that is her plan.  :o  ;)

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 11:12:08 AM »
I have a tortie too and I had to laugh at your description of yours!  Yes, they are known to be a little cantankerous.  Mine bites the vet and everybody except me.  I'm her 'person' and she acts like she hates everybody else.  My cat carries a stuffed duck around like it's her kitten and even bathes it.  Maybe yours misses her yarn? :-\  I mean, mine seriously acts like this duck is her kitten. 

But I agree with Winona.  It sounds like she's probably mad because she's not getting her way.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Alice

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 11:17:31 AM »
I think she has adjusted well to the new home. In fact, even the outdoors cats was inside for two weeks at the new home and then we let her out little by little and SHE HAS STUCK AROUND THE HOME SINCE THEN! I think they both love it there.

I'm thinking about another thing that might be her problem. The two older kids went off to college--one is in Peru for a semester study abroad so she has been gone for almost two months already and obviously hasn't been home. The other one has been gone since the end of August and has only been home once very early on. He was the kitty lover of our tortie and I'll bet anything she misses those two kids!  She now only has the one remaining kid at home and she was always her least favorite human. But now that she's the only kid, she is trying to be her best friend and also acting out. That might be it.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 11:21:18 AM »
What's your tortie's name?  Mine is Tiki.  She is 10 years old and she cannot stand my 9 year old daughter.  I think it's because Emily replaced her as being my baby. ;D
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Alice

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 11:26:54 AM »
Her name is Ella and we also call her Ellie. My other cat is Missy and she is white with orange spots.
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 11:36:13 AM »
Oh my goodness!  Your cat looks so much like mine!  As soon as I can, I'll post a picture of Tiki.  It's amazing how much alike they look! :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 11:45:36 AM »
Oh my goodness, many, many years ago, I had a cat that looked just like Ellie. Her name was Mercy, but I called her Merciful Heavens.  ;D She was such a brat, but I loved her so much. When Cathryn and Jeremy first got married, Cath got a cat who looked just like this as well. She called and asked it I minded if she named her cat Mercy. LOL She also called hers Merciful Heavens. That was the meanest cat I have ever known. She once latched on with all four feet to Jonny's face. Jeremy and Cat had to pry her off. Fortunately she didn't really hurt him. They lost her just this summer. Brings back memories to see this picture.

Good luck with your baby.  ;D

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 12:23:09 PM »
My tortie also does this (giant long-furred girlie whom we think is part Maine Coone based on size and appearance).  She started out carrying balls around the house while making this loud sound.  Then progressed to pencils over a few months.  And the last several months it is now slippers.  She primarily does this at night as well.  Sometimes we will come home from church or someplace during the day and she will have stacked 3 or 4 different slippers in a pile somewhere.  Gotta love their individual purr-sonalities.  :)