Author Topic: Crocheted Rugs  (Read 2966 times)

Offline Sandlappersue

Crocheted Rugs
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:43:08 AM »
I want to crochet a rug and possibly more. I love crocheted and braided rugs from scraps. Does anyone have any advice to get me started? U want some country rugs that will last but without the sticker shock. If all went easily, I could see making a good dozen for our house alone over time. What size crochet needle would be needed? I have experience in crocheting however I am not great at it. I get bored crocheting blankets but could see rugs as being rewarding. I don't know if it is a southern thing but most people around here have a closet full of afghans so I also feel making more is senseless anyway. I want some country rugs!

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
Re: Crocheted Rugs
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »
I would use a size P or Q hook.  When I made mine, I just ripped my fabric strips after snipping the beginning of the rip about 1.5 or so inches wide.  I didn't measure, just estimated. It makes the crocheting go faster if you cut/rip your strips and wind them into a ball, like yarn first. 
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 12:12:22 PM »
Thank you so much, Shelly! I can't wait to get started as soon as I get a hook. I am gathering materials meantime. I bought a big hot pad for the kitchen that someone had crocheted with scraps. It's nothing fancy but it's crafty, country and inspiration to try this myself. I am so excited!

Offline RenKnitter

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 06:14:21 AM »
You will need to keep in mind that you will have to purchase a rug backer to place underneath the rug, as it will be very slippery.  I crocheted a rug in yarn years ago and found a backer at Wal Mart.

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 08:18:21 AM »
You will need to keep in mind that you will have to purchase a rug backer to place underneath the rug, as it will be very slippery.  I crocheted a rug in yarn years ago and found a backer at Wal Mart.
Thanks! I have a lot of rubber backing. You are right.