Author Topic: Christmas Menu  (Read 6592 times)

Offline Proudmama

Re: Christmas Menu
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 04:09:36 AM »
We go to my SIL's house on Christmas Eve.  We have snack foods along with a deli tray, cole slaw and potato salad.  There is usually various types of candy and cookies so there is no formal dessert.

On Christmas morning, after we open presents at home, we are going to my aunt's for breakfast.  Then we go back to my SIL's for present opening and dinner.  We don't do a formal Christmas dinner. We normally just have leftovers from Christmas Eve. This year, my SIL has leftovers from her Christmas party that she put in the freezer, so, along with the leftovers from Christmas Eve, we will be having crab cakes, baked ziti, chicken Marsala and potatoes au gratin.  I am not sure what we will have for dessert.  There will probably be more than enough candy and cookies around that we won't really need one. 😊

Denise

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 06:40:49 AM »
I've finally settled on Swedish Meatballs for Christmas dinner...my mom's recipe though I'm subbing homemade Cream of Mushroom soup as the gravy (she always used canned).  Served with mashed potatoes, probably green beans, and I'd like to make some special salad ahead of time but am still thinking on that.  Saw a recipe for a healthier version of the strawberry/cream cheese/pretzel-based one online.  Then a cheesecake for dessert, probably with a strawberry puree topping or I may do a cherry one out of frozen tart cherries.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 11:51:06 AM »
Happy Birthday to Grimmauld!!!!

Well, thanks!  :D
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 07:49:50 PM »
We do Christmas eve at my parents with appetizers and gift exchange. Then Christmas day there as well. Ham, turkey, dressing....all the fixins. And for new years eve I'm making a turkey dinner and the in-laws will be over to ring in the new year.
Happy birthday Grimm. My sister thinks I'm crazy for buying my dogs (kids) Christmas gifts. Lol maybe it's time to have them parties as well.I love that idea!
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 09:04:46 PM »
We're having ham this year. I found a good price and bought two so I could freeze some leftovers for other recipes. We're also having vegetables, sweet potatoes, and a pumpkin pie that I have in the freezer from Thanksgiving. I am looking forward to the time together!

Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 09:06:25 PM »
We do Christmas eve at my parents with appetizers and gift exchange. Then Christmas day there as well. Ham, turkey, dressing....all the fixins. And for new years eve I'm making a turkey dinner and the in-laws will be over to ring in the new year.
Happy birthday Grimm. My sister thinks I'm crazy for buying my dogs (kids) Christmas gifts. Lol maybe it's time to have them parties as well.I love that idea!

Bobbie, we've always bought small Christmas gifts for our pets. They are part of our family!  :)

Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 10:45:03 PM »
our dogs have gifts and stockings too!   8)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 06:19:06 AM »
We used to buy our cats gifts also! We still have the cats but now since no one gets presents, they don't either.

I had my son help me freezer-dive last night looking for a ham I thought I still had in there (probably from last year after Christmas sale, but maybe it was after Easter sale). It took a while but we found it and we found about 6 whole chickens! Yeah for us! I found two beef roasts and a few chicken legs/thighs. We found eggrolls I made this past summer and he was just delighted at all the goodies in there. That's the reason we have a freezer. To find goodies when you least expect them. Not much in the form of sweets but lots of meal making things in there. We shouldn't need food for a while.

We're hosting my parents on Christmas and since one of my kids is vacationing in Mexico we will only have two kids home so just the 6 of us. No presents just presence!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2015, 06:35:34 AM »
We very much love our pets and used to get them gifts as well.  I guess now we've just gotten to the point where the food/litter/vet costs for them is such a high regular amount that we don't--we don't love them less but with so many we just occasionally buy toys throughout the year and their healthy (not the cheapest) diet is their main gift these days. 

Happy Birthday to Grimm!  I had forgotten we share a b-day if I'm understanding correctly that his is the 24th?

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 06:48:47 AM »
I used to buy presents for our pets, but this past year has been a very expensive one.  Last December one cat had emergency surgery to the tune of nearly $700 and this year it seems we are at the vet's every time I turn around.  I bought my cats a water fountain and pheromone diffuser to hopefully calm them down, and Emily got them a new scratching post and catnip.  That will have to be their Christmas.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Rooney

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 07:51:19 AM »
We very much love our pets and used to get them gifts as well.  I guess now we've just gotten to the point where the food/litter/vet costs for them is such a high regular amount that we don't--we don't love them less but with so many we just occasionally buy toys throughout the year and their healthy (not the cheapest) diet is their main gift these days. 

Happy Birthday to Grimm!  I had forgotten we share a b-day if I'm understanding correctly that his is the 24th?

Catherine, just in case I don't have the chance to get on here until late in the day tomorrow, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2015, 07:58:12 AM »
Sounds like there are more birthdays coming up so HAPPY BIRTHDAY to all who are having one this week and next!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 09:33:23 AM »
I've finally settled on Swedish Meatballs for Christmas dinner...my mom's recipe though I'm subbing homemade Cream of Mushroom soup as the gravy (she always used canned).

Do you make your homemade cream of mushroom at the time you are using it or can it be made and stored somehow?  Could you share your recipe?

Denise

Offline Cathie

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2015, 10:37:41 AM »
Happy Birthday Grimmer ❤️

We have Christmas Fettucine. So Fettucine Alfredo, Black Forest ham, Caesar salad and garlic toast.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 11:35:11 AM »
Happy Birthday Grimmer ❤️

We have Christmas Fettucine. So Fettucine Alfredo, Black Forest ham, Caesar salad and garlic toast.

This sounds so good!!!  Save me a plate! ;D
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn