Author Topic: Soups, Chowders, Stews, and Chili  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
Soups, Chowders, Stews, and Chili
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:37:39 PM »
Please respond to this post to add your recipe to this section

This clam chowder recipe is one of the BEST I've ever had.  It's been in my husband's family for a long time.  It's quite versatile.  I've changed the ingredients to make corn and bacon chowder, cream of broccoli, cream of chicken, creamy potato... anything creamy can be based off of this recipe.  SO GOOD

Clam Chowder

2 cans clams (the tuna can size) either chopped or minced or a mixture of the two
1 cup diced onions
1 cup diced celery
2 cups diced potatoes
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
1 quart milk (4 cups)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
pepper to taste (I love to use white pepper)

Add all veggies to large pot.  Pour clams (and juice) over veggies.  Add enough water to barely cover everything.  Simmer covered at medium heat until potatoes are tender.  (abt 15 minutes)

In the meantime, melt butter, add flour and cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly.  Add milk slowly, stirring to incorporate.  Cook until thickened and creamy.  Pour into veggie/water mixture and stir until blended.  Heat through and add sugar, salt and pepper.

Serve hot!
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
Re: Soups, Chowders, Stews, and Chili
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 12:50:53 PM »
Cream of Carrot Soup

1 Tablespoon butter
1 onion, chopped
2 cups carrots, sliced in chunks or one of those packets of petite carrots
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 cup uncooked rice
1 cup lowfat milk
Sour cream and dill to garnish

Heat butter in your soup pot. Add onions and saute until translucent. Add carrots and salt. Cook, tightly covered, over low heat 20 minutes. Add broth and rice; simmer, covered, 1 hour.

Blend everything until smooth in your blender, with immersion blender or food processor.
Return to soup pot and add milk. Heat and serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of dill, if desired.
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 06:24:19 AM »
Santa Fe Soup

2 lbs. ground beef
1 pkg. ranch dressing mix
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
1 can Rotel
1 can petite diced tomatoes
2 cans white shoepeg corn
1-2 cans water

Brown hamburger and drain grease.  Combine hamburger and all other ingredients in large pot and simmer until hot.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline mom of 2 boys

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 03:59:09 PM »
We had liquid left over from a ham that Rick smoked. Rick and I whipped up a soup using the broth, carrots, celery ( I keep the tops diced and the middle and leaves diced in a gallon bag in the freezer for soup, casseroles etc.) , onion, angel hair pasta and 2 left over steaks I put in the freezer from Rick's Birthday dinner at the  In Laws. So really a free meal :) . And bread and butter on the side.
Maleesa

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 10:59:03 AM »
Crock*Pot Steak Soup
This has become a recent favorite of ours!  I use whatever cut of beef I have in the freezer or is currently on sale.  Also, instead of egg noodles, I use tortellini for an extra bit of flavor.

INGREDIENTS
2.5 lb beef sirloin tip roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
¼ c all-purpose flour
½ t salt
½ t pepper
2 T canola oil
1 oz pkg onion soup mix
4 c beef broth
1 T tomato paste
1 T Worcestershire sauce
2 c uncooked wide egg noodles

INSTRUCTIONS
1) Mix together your flour, salt and pepper in a large plastic zipping bag
2) Add your beef cubes, seal the bag and toss the beef in the flour mixture until well coated
3) In a large, deep skillet, heat your oil over medium-high heat and add your coated beef
4) Saute your beef in your skillet until it is brown (about 6 minutes)
5) Place your browned beef in your crock pot
6) Sprinkle your soup mix evenly over your beef
7) In a bowl, use a whisk to combine your broth, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce
8 ) Once combined well, pour over your beef
9) Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, until beef is tender
10) Add your noodles and cover and cook for 30 more minutes, until the noodles are tender
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 10:59:20 AM by MissMandy »
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥