Author Topic: Quick and Easy meals  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Quick and Easy meals
« on: December 29, 2015, 09:23:07 AM »
I'm hearing from many ladies that freezer/crockpot meals are on the agenda in the month of January. Me too. 

Last night between power outages I made Pioneer Woman's Thai Beef with peppers. It was really good and I used two sizzle steaks, some roasted red peppers that I had frozen, a frozen jalapeno pepper, onions, red curry powder instead of chili sauce since I didn't have that and it was really easy to make and good. I did have abox of the Thai noodles and I just ate some leftover for lunch. I'm going to look for a lot more stovetop skillet meals too since they are quick and easy most of the time.

I used to like chili a lot and all of a sudden I'm not liking that at all. Not sure what's going on with that. But other soups will be on my menu more often.  I had roasted a chicken Christmas day that should have been roasted the day before but with the power outage it just didn't happen. So I had a chicken that I really didn't know what to do with so I made some BBQ sauce that I doctored up with store bought, crushed garlic and a lot of honey warmed up together and that was a really good skillet BBQ chicken that we ate on Sunday with leftover scalloped potatoes. Just doctoring up a jar of BBQ sauce can really make a difference in the taste of the jarred stuff.

I know we can do this so if anyone has some good ideas please forward those especially skillet meals.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

shedrinkzcoffee

Re: Quick and Easy meals
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 10:17:38 AM »
I have the cookbook "Dining on a Dime".  It by the lady that has the Living on a Dime website.  It has some good meals that are very easy and inexpensive. 

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 11:57:34 AM »
We had scrambled eggs with diced ham this morning, which I made in the electric skillet.

I have a skillet lasagna recipe that is good, which is similar to this:
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/skillet-lasagna/9ffa61f3-36e8-4c7f-af2a-eefb4576417f

I use my electric skillet or my large teflon-coated dutch oven for making stir fry, which we have at least once per week.

Those are a few of my quick, go-to recipes.

Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 10:31:46 PM »
I have the cookbook "Dining on a Dime".  It by the lady that has the Living on a Dime website.  It has some good meals that are very easy and inexpensive. 
Hey, that is a good site!  Just added to my favorites. :)  She has her recipes in printable form on the site.

Alice, I tried something new tonight.  Something I just made up.  We have lots of green peppers and tomatoes in greenhouse right now, so I diced both of those up and added in some cubed chicken breasts and whole green beens.  Then I sautéed it in a tiny bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and a tomato/basil soup base.  Served it over regular spaghetti noodles, just because it is what we had.  It was a hit!  Guess I got lucky with that one.  They all liked it so much I think I'm gonna try something similar in a taco form tomorrow.  It only took about 30 minutes start to finish. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:32:45 PM by Rooney »