Author Topic: Early Start  (Read 11216 times)

Offline sbdriver

Early Start
« on: January 04, 2016, 12:04:40 PM »
Ok first I can't believe no one was in here since August lol.

I want to start picking some items up for next Christmas starting this month. Really would like to make the 3 kids some lap quilts but know I need to start those early too.

I'm also hoping to use a chart I printed off where I put so much money in a jar/envelope each week until next Christmas. How great to have all my money ready to go and if I see something during the coming months money will be in there to use.

Anyone else trying to get started early?
Laurie
Many hands make light work

shedrinkzcoffee

Re: Early Start
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 12:52:39 PM »
I'm still putting stuff away for Christmas 2015, lolol.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 01:47:21 PM »
LET'S DO THIS!!!!!

The first thing I need to do is think about/pick a theme for Jean's 12 Days gifts, since those are often a mix of price points and can be picked up easily throughout the year.

Next Christmas we will set up our tree again since our basement living area will be finished, so I want to really think about our ornaments and decorations as a whole.  I have some ornaments from my childhood (keeps!), some country decor that my parents were getting rid of a few years ago (meeeehhhh...could let it go), and plenty of ornaments that I have picked up in my adulthood and since we've been married.  I need to just pull everything down from the attic early next year, reevaluate what I want to keep, and donate what I can let go.

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline sbdriver

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 06:00:20 PM »
I won't have problems finding things for my girls it's Zachary that never knows and is hard to buy for. Don't mind if it's just his left next Dec lol.

I have a lot of the country style ornaments but last year and this xmas I went through all xmas stuff and donated what I no longer put out or just doesn't do it for me anymore lol.

We CAN DO THIS!!!!

So the theme is different each year Mandy and all the gifts relate to said them then?
Laurie

Offline Rooney

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 09:02:23 PM »
Reading this thread on Jan. 4 gives me the tummyache. :D

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 09:47:43 PM »

haha, me too

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 04:08:32 AM »

haha, me too

Count me in with the tummy ache club!

Denise

P.S.  My tree is still up as are the rest of my decorations.  😳😁

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 09:52:46 AM »

So the theme is different each year Mandy and all the gifts relate to said them then?

The theme is different every year.  The first year was outdoor/camping/survival, and included items as small as waterproof matches one day, an oil lantern, and an annual pass to the nearby national park.

Year two was entertainment: movie gift card, DVDs of a favorite TV show, etc.

Three was 'man stuff': a Wolfhound tie, tie tack, sock with tools on them, a little truck made out of chocolate, etc.

This year was fitness: weight lifting wrist straps (I still don't know what these are, but they were on his wish list ;D), running headband, a tech shirt from our running club, a CrossFit book.

I'm thinking this next year might be bar items.  We are getting into the 'fun' stages of finishing our basement, and Jean is doing all of the work. We started with concrete walls (no studs, no drywall), concrete floors, and a couple of bare overhead bulbs.  We've designed everything out and he's gotten all of the electrical and studding in, plumbed out the space to add a half bathroom, and most of the drywall.  We're at the point now where we're picking out flooring (he brought it all home last night, all 42 boxes :o!), paint, and cabinets, and one of the 'fun' things that we're putting in is a wet bar.  I think it would be fun to buy items for the bar, and something that would offer me a wide array of choices at multiple price points.

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Cathie

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 04:16:18 PM »
Mandy -

Bar items is an awesome idea!
Perhaps some items that make it look like an Irish pub? Drink book? Pub food cook book? Irish alcohol?

Offline Cathie

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 04:18:16 PM »
I love this!

I need to get started early on everyone who doesn't live in my house.  Less stress on me.
The people in my house will get done in November and December

I'd love ideas for people who have Everything.  They drive me crazy.

Offline sbdriver

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 06:34:20 PM »
Oh Cathie I knew you'd find us here  ;D  ;D

I second Cathie, I think the bar theme is an awesome idea!! Your basement sounds like it's going to be amazing Mandy  :)

So Cathie how old are these people who have everything? What are their interests etc.? I'm sure if we ladies put our heads together we could come up with some ideas.

I just KNOW these other ladies will jump on board when they see how much fun we are having  ;)
Laurie

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 09:48:40 AM »
Mandy -

Bar items is an awesome idea!
Perhaps some items that make it look like an Irish pub? Drink book? Pub food cook book? Irish alcohol?

The whole basement is designed after an irish cottage - dark woods, stone, earth tones, fireplace, lots of books...very cozy all around :)

And yes, I decided to go with bar items, and I bought the first one today!  Woohoo!  I was browsing around Target and they had a bunch of bar gifts on clearance, so I bought one of those ice molds that makes the big, round ice balls for whiskey.  It's Sharper Image brand, and makes two of the ice balls (2.5" diameter each) for less than $7.  I'll take it!

Mandy

Offline sbdriver

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 12:08:49 PM »
Oh I'd love to see pics, that sounds so nice!!!

Yahooooooo on the gift today  ;D  ;D We're on a roll now  ;)
Laurie

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 02:43:27 PM »

Right now it's just 1150 square feet of tools, drywall dust, and mess!  I'll share some pics once we're done, though.  Or better yet, maybe you should all come over for a basement-warming party! ;D ;D ;D

Mandy

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 04:25:47 PM »

Right now it's just 1150 square feet of tools, drywall dust, and mess!  I'll share some pics once we're done, though.  Or better yet, maybe you should all come over for a basement-warming party! ;D ;D ;D

Mandy

Sounds great!  8)