Author Topic: kids using too much soap  (Read 4530 times)

Offline Rooney

kids using too much soap
« on: September 26, 2013, 02:29:33 PM »
I need to figure out a way to keep my kids from going through so much hand soap.  They have to wash their hands but the amount they are using,  the handsoap has gotten its own category in the budget.  They fill their hands full every time they wash them.  I wish they made soap packets the same way they make ketchup packets.  It is getting where it is bottles and bottles of it.  Literally throwing money down the drain.  Any ideas other than me standing there dispensing soap throughout the day?

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
Re: kids using too much soap
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 02:39:28 PM »
Bar soap? 

I know it's a little messier but for the time being, it may be worth it financially.  ;)

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 02:57:22 PM »
Beth,
The bar soaps didn't work either.  I have a lot of young ones.  The bar soaps end up in strange places broken up in little pieces.  Like down the shower drain (which it clogged), under the vanity, in their clothing drawers.  ???  Tried that route already.

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 03:01:26 PM »
Is their anyway to wrap a rubber band or something around the pump "tube" where it goes into the top of the bottle?  If so that may keep them from getting the full amount of soap in their hands. 

Still thinking    8)

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 04:01:52 PM »
Dilute it with a little water.  Would that work?
 :-\
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Rooney

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 04:22:45 PM »
Dilute it with a little water.  Would that work?
 :-\
Cheryl,
This I have not tried.  I will be getting another bottle for the soap and water mixture (very little soap, a lot of water) and keep it filled and on the bathroom sink.  Thank you because this might actually work for us.  We'll see though, they seem to be able to make it disappear (like a bottle every other day) no matter what I do. :D

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 04:31:08 PM »
Lindsay, I hope it works for you! :)  I started doing this because my daughter would pump way too much into her hands.  Now someone please help me figure out how to keep people from using so much toilet paper! ;) ;D
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Leahsgarden

• doTERRA Essential Oils
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 04:34:52 PM »
What about buying Dr. Bonner's liquid Castile soap? I think Azure sells gallon jugs. I buy plain scent soap, use one of those foaming pump bottles (mine is an old Bath & Body Works foaming hand soap bottle). I put about half an inch of soap, a couple drops of essential oil and then fill it up with water. One or two pumps "fill" the hand, so it LOOKS like a lot.

Cheryl - squish the roll so it can't "roll" and then they have to unwrap each piece. Tiring, and you end up wanting to do a few unwraps as possible. :)
...Leah
wife to Chris
Mommy to Caleb, Logan, & Josie

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 04:45:55 PM »
Leah - Thanks, I'll give that a try! :D
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Rooney

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 04:49:46 PM »
Cheryl,
Toliet paper, a whole other issue.  I always say our septic system has got to be about ready to give up.  If you figure out a way to curb this usage too I would love to hear it.  They go through 36 double rolls a month or more.

Leah,
I will be trying that soap in the gallon size on next months order.  I doubt I'll add the oils though.  I have to have everything fragrance free anymore.  Can't stand perfume scents of any kind.  Something to do with pregnancies I believe.

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 10:46:47 PM »
Using too much of either does not bother me. It is when they don't use enough that I am disturbed. :P

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 03:13:03 PM »
We also use the foaming style pump in the kids' bathroom.  I don't like the typical soaps that come in them (except Method, which Target carries now that we finally have a Target) so I buy one and refill with something safer.  They feel like they get a lot of soap but it doesn't use a whole lot.

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 09:27:12 AM »
Using too much of either does not bother me. It is when they don't use enough that I am disturbed. :P

A very good point!   ;D
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline Noora

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 08:43:17 PM »
My 3yo seems to think it's fun to unscrew the top of the soap bottle and dump it all out. Now THAT makes me angry! >:( Mostly, it's not very much, but still...!