Author Topic: Non-stick skillets or frying pans  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Non-stick skillets or frying pans
« on: January 06, 2016, 06:27:18 AM »
I'm having so much trouble with non-stick skillets lately. We bought one to replace an old one and after about 3 months EVERYTHING is just now beginning to stick. It has the white interior (supposedly non-stick) and my husband said it's going into the trash!

Does anyone have a good, long-lasting skillet suggestion? We might buy a set of two. One just for a fried egg and others for stir frying sliced beef or chicken, add a few veggies, and maybe a liquid like soy. So the larger pan should be able to contain oil, meat veggies and liquid.

I also could use a new electric frying pan (also non-stick). Not terribly large but maybe a 12 x 12 square or slightly larger size.

I'm so ready for some ideas!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline fishermanwife

Re: Non-stick skillets or frying pans
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 07:15:20 AM »
I'm following this too bc we bought an expensive green life set that is non stick and it's going in the trash also. Hubby can get it to work if he cooks everything on low heat 3 but I don't have time for that lol. I have went back to our cheap stuff.
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 07:34:07 AM »
I trashed all of mine several years ago and now the only skillets I use are my cast iron.  Do you have any of those?  If they're seasoned it'll be like a non-stick pan.  I have a small one I use for cornbread and scrambling an egg or two, and I have larger ones for everything else.  My oldest one is over 100 years old and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 09:43:06 AM »
We purchased a non-stick Cuisinart set when we got married (2010), and in the last year or so some of the coating has started to come off.  Oddly enough, we have one pan that we use almost daily that is perfectly fine, but a few of the pots and pans that we don't use as often are much, much worse.  I guess it might depend on what you're cooking in them, what heat level, etc.  Anyway, we are looking to replace individual pieces with some stainless in the next little while.

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 10:30:27 AM »
Mandy--
Is stainless a good option for non-stick?

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Rooney

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 02:00:59 PM »
Alice, I ONLY use stainless steel.   If the non-stick is disappearing, I would be concerned that it is coming off into the food.  The brand WearEver has stainless steel frying pans in various sizes that have a very "smooth" interior.  It is not overly cheap, but definitely not one of the more expensive brands either.  I have tried many other brands and it is the only one that I have used that stuff doesn't stick to. You DO have to spray some olive oil in the bottom before cooking and it becomes almost like a non-stick pan.  I have been making stir-frys and scrambling eggs in these for many years.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 03:24:07 PM »
I trashed all of mine several years ago and now the only skillets I use are my cast iron.  Do you have any of those?  If they're seasoned it'll be like a non-stick pan.  I have a small one I use for cornbread and scrambling an egg or two, and I have larger ones for everything else.  My oldest one is over 100 years old and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Cheryl, could you explain how to season one correctly?  I have never really gotten how it is done?

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 05:25:49 PM »
Lindsay, here's a link telling how to season one.  Hope this helps.

http://www.southernliving.com/food/how-to/how-t0-season-a-cast-iron-skillet
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Rooney

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 07:00:16 PM »
Thank you. :)

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 08:12:41 PM »
You are welcome.  :)

Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 10:06:44 PM »
I have some non-stick pans that are hard anodized aluminum that are not supposed to peel and they are. They are going in the trash.. in fact, a couple already have been thrown out.  Our new home has a gas stove and I am going back to cast iron!  I am SO excited to get them out and season them again.. just another couple weeks!

I may be a worrier but I worry about aluminum in my food.  My grandmother had alzheimers and I think that aluminum may play a part in the disease (among many things, this is just one that I am eliminating for this reason)

Offline Rooney

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 12:49:10 PM »
I have some non-stick pans that are hard anodized aluminum that are not supposed to peel and they are. They are going in the trash.. in fact, a couple already have been thrown out.  Our new home has a gas stove and I am going back to cast iron!  I am SO excited to get them out and season them again.. just another couple weeks!

I may be a worrier but I worry about aluminum in my food.  My grandmother had alzheimers and I think that aluminum may play a part in the disease (among many things, this is just one that I am eliminating for this reason)

Nope.  This is the EXACT reason I use the stainless steel ones I have.  They are the only ones I found without the even-heating aluminum bottom.  Also the reason I head to the frozen food aisle when buying veggies instead of the canned goods aisle. ;)  Guess we could just both be worriers though.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 02:38:44 PM »
^ This is my same reasoning for wanting stainless steel.  We have a glass, flat top stove (Ahhhh!  I miss my gas stove!).

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 02:48:49 PM »
I use my cast iron on my glass top stove.  I'm very careful not to move them while cooking.  So far, so good.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline sbdriver

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 04:58:15 PM »
I use only cast iron as well.

Mandy that is the new stove we got, flattop and I hate them. They had big issues so just got our new replacements yesterday and again flattop uuuugggggg. I do however use my cast iron on them as well. I'm just really careful not to drag them but lift which is a tall order on my big one since it's so heavy  :o
Laurie
Many hands make light work