Author Topic: Non-stick skillets or frying pans  (Read 3667 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Re: Non-stick skillets or frying pans
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 05:35:07 AM »
I had a flat top electric stove when we moved to our house and after using gas for such a long time, I did not like it at all.  Thankfully, the oven heating element caught on fire one day and we stubbed in for gas and bought a four burner gas stove/oven but the grates on top  cover the entire top of the stovetop so I can pull pans across the entire grate without lifting them to move them. I love it. I did have a problem a few weeks ago when I warmed up a pot of soup, turned off the burner but the clicker from the electric ignition kept clicking and the spark would spark and the knob was in the off position. I could not find any store that was open to help me figure out what to do. I pulled the range away from the wall pulled the electric and turned the gas off. We googled it and they suggested turning the oven to heat for 20 minutes to dry up any MOISTURE that might be in the oven or cooktop. So I turned everything back on including the power and sure enough within 10 minutes the clicking stopped. There must have been moisture somewhere.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Alice

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 06:50:55 AM »
Hubby told me this morning that for my birthday we are going out to look for skillets. So I guess I'm getting that which is OK by me since I dislike frivolous gifts.  I'd rather have one that gets a lot of use or nothing at all.

He also broke the apple corer/slicer this morning so we'll add that to our list to buy also.

I was hoping to have a low-key, no-spend January but it seems like when you use something for a long, long time they are bound to break and need replacing sometime. So the skillets are the first, corer/slicer second, socks and underwear, elbows in long sleeved shirts are wearing thin and getting holes. What do I expect that these things should last forever? I've had all these things probably for over 10 years and more like 15 or 16 years. They are plain worn out. Kind of bad that they all are needing replacing at the same time. Not fun.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 10:20:59 AM »
I have used my cast iron on this stove top, I just find it so cumbersome in addition to needing to be so careful, so I usually opt for the lighter pans.  Maybe someday we'll run gas to the house, but until then, my cast iron doesn't get loved as much as I'd like!

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 11:27:55 AM »
I never used the cast iron on this glass top.  Its a rental house and my luck, I would crack the top of the stove so I waited.  Hopefully, the cast iron will be back in use over the holiday weekend.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 01:24:02 PM »
I use cast iron on my smooth top all the time.  The book that came with it okayed it (this is a Whirlpool), though I've heard some older models didn't.  My two I use most are a 16" skillet, which we are outgrowing, sadly, and a 7 quart Le Creuset enameled cast iron French oven.  We do usually keep one non-stick skillet for scrambled eggs, and last time we bought the "green" ceramic type which didn't stay non-stick for very long.  Because of outgrowing our stove (occasional meals don't work out when I need to use more than two largish pans at the same time), I asked for a 16" electric skillet for Christmas, and received it from my mom (foldable type).  It's non-stick coating, which I don't love (for health reasons---I love it for cleanup), but seems to work nicely, and the bonus was we could use it with our generator when we lost power to make some warm foods.

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2016, 11:01:18 AM »
I purchased a Tfal set a few years ago and the outside started peeling off. They were a pretty red. Then the inside started doing the same. I called them and complained. They told me with nonstick pans not to turn your heat past 4-5. When I'm in a hurry I go to about 8. So I got a new Paula Deen set last year and I only cook on four or five and so far so good. I had a cast iron pan I tried to use and it did not like me. I tried so hard to get along with it. I seasoned it several times. And the food would just stick like nobody's business. My grams had cast iron she would only cook in and I wish she were here to tell me what I done wrong. I gave the pans away.
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline Alice

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 09:51:31 AM »
This morning my birthday gift was a new skillet--a Zwilling skillet. It has some very good reviews and though it is Zwilling® Motion Nonstick Hard Anodized it seems to be a good skillet. We'll see.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Linda G.

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 10:35:55 PM »
Alice enjoy that skillet and Happy Birthday.