Author Topic: 2016 Reading Challenge  (Read 15652 times)

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
2016 Reading Challenge
« on: January 06, 2016, 10:08:54 AM »
I need a challenge, not so much to read more, but to break out of reading the same book and same genres over and over. 

The original challenge is:

- [ ] A book published this year
- [ ] A book you can finish in a day
- [ ] A book you've been meaning to read
- [ ] A librarian/bookseller recommended book
- [ ] A book you should have read in school
- [ ] A book chosen by your spouse, partner, BFF, child, etc
- [ ] A book published before you were born
- [ ] A book banned at some point
- [ ] A book you've previously abandoned
- [ ] A book you own but haven't read
- [ ] A book that intimidates you
- [ ] A book you've read at least once

And in addition, I've added to my own list:

- [ ] A Pulitzer-prize winning book
- [ ] A book more than 100 years old
- [ ] A book with an author who shares my initials
- [ ] A book that came out the year I was born
- [ ] A book set somewhere I would like to visit

I'm excited to see what everyone's book choices and recommendations are, as well as what my own books end up being but he end of the year!

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
Re: 2016 Reading Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 10:11:03 AM »
Right now I am re-reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (book three of the series).  Me, rereading something?  Me, doing something HP related?  I know, SHOCKER! ;D  Anyway, this will count as my book I've read at least once.

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline sbdriver

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 12:07:23 PM »
Good job Mandy  :)
Laurie
Many hands make light work

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 05:43:30 PM »
Thanks for starting the thread!

Denise

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 05:49:35 PM »
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing here.  Do we pick from the list? 

I'm all over the place with my reading.  Right now I'm reading When Secrets Strike by Marta Perry.  I guess this could count as my book I can finish in a day.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 10:31:15 PM »
I'm currently reading For the Love by Jen Hatmaker.  I'm going to make an adaptation and instead of it being a book that a librarian or bookseller recommends, I'll say one that a friend recommended and put it in that category.  I don't go to the library often enough and hey, I like to bend the "rules"  ;)

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 02:41:45 PM »
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing here.  Do we pick from the list? 

I'm all over the place with my reading.  Right now I'm reading When Secrets Strike by Marta Perry.  I guess this could count as my book I can finish in a day.

I think of this list as suggestions for reading items that break me out of my same old choices.  I just thought we might want to list what we're currently reading and which category it fits into from the list.  No pressure, whatsoever, though! 

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 04:38:49 PM »
I am currently reading a book called "Hunters in the Dark" by Lawrence Osborne.  It is a book I received through an early reviewers program.  After I read the book, I am supposed to review it on a website.  So far, I am not sure it fits any of the categories, but I am reading.  😊

Denise

Edited to add:  I think I am going to use it as my "Librarian/Bookseller recommended" book because I doubt I will get a recommendation from either of those and it does kind of fit that description.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 04:40:29 PM by Proudmama »

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 05:54:55 PM »
I am currently reading a book called "Hunters in the Dark" by Lawrence Osborne.  It is a book I received through an early reviewers program.  After I read the book, I am supposed to review it on a website.  So far, I am not sure it fits any of the categories, but I am reading.  😊

Denise

Edited to add: I think I am going to use it as my "Librarian/Bookseller recommended" book because I doubt I will get a recommendation from either of those and it does kind of fit that description.

I changed that one too.   ;)

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 10:22:18 AM »
I only added that one because I have two friends who are librarians, so I figured I would email and ask them what their recommendations were ;D.

Mandy

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 11:34:10 AM »
I have not read my book in days.. I better carve out some time this evening. Seems like when I get a chance to read.. I end up playing Candy Crush.  Not sure how that happens...  ;)

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 12:58:38 PM »
I have not read my book in days.. I better carve out some time this evening. Seems like when I get a chance to read.. I end up playing Candy Crush.  Not sure how that happens...  ;)

Oh my gosh, ME TOO!!!!!  I am such a CC addict.  Sadly, when we upgraded our phones just before the new year I lost ALL of my progress (I was on level 600-something) because I didn't have it tied to Facebook.  Now I'm back on level 61.  Oh well :)

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 01:18:34 PM »
I'm currently reading For the Love by Jen Hatmaker.  I'm going to make an adaptation and instead of it being a book that a librarian or bookseller recommends, I'll say one that a friend recommended and put it in that category.  I don't go to the library often enough and hey, I like to bend the "rules"  ;)

I've got this out from the library right now but haven't started it.

Just finished Brush Back from Sara Peretsky and it was pretty good.  Before that, I was on a roll with Linda Castillo for the month of December or thereabouts--her Kate Burkholder series, not the romances--haven't tried any of those.  They are murder/suspense type stories set in Amish country, but nothing like Beverly Lewis.

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 04:36:21 PM »
Catherine - I am loving the book.  I loved the first chapter so much that I bought it because I knew it was a keeper.  Its a very fun book!  Jen is hilarious!

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 02:43:47 AM »
I am now also reading "Girls Like Us" by Rachel Lloyd which is about human trafficking in this country.  Molly read it for school and asked if I wanted to read it.  It is a difficult read because it is nonfiction but I am enjoying it if that is the right word.  It can count for my recommendation by my child.

Oh, Mandy - the librarian recommended book is a good category.  I have had recommendations from librarians in the past.  I just don't go as often as I used to go.  If I took a picture of the books in this house, you would know why.  😊

Denise