Author Topic: 2016 Reading Challenge  (Read 15670 times)

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
Re: 2016 Reading Challenge
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 10:51:43 AM »

I just don't go as often as I used to go.  If I took a picture of the books in this house, you would know why.  😊

I'm the same way.  Books are one thing I will always prefer to buy, and will never put a limit on how many we have ;)

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 04:12:25 AM »
Mandy - Me, too!  There are books in nearly every room and even more in the basement waiting ever so patiently to make their way upstairs.  One of our local libraries has a sale to raise money for the library twice a year.  It lasts for three days.  The last day is $5 a bag.  Whatever you can fit into a plastic grocery bag is only $5. It doesn't matter how many books I have, I go every single time.  How could I not?  😊

Denise

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 09:20:51 AM »
Whoa, Denise.  That sounds like heaven!!  I am fortunate that we have a book fair (http://www.gobookfair.com) about an hour away from us.  They only run for a few weeks at a time, then they close for a while, then restock and reopen for a few more weeks, closing for good mid-December through March.  Hopefully the 2016 schedule will come out soon (or maybe I just haven't seen it yet?).  I usually spend between $50-$75, but I walk out with BAGS of books, all only about $3-$7 each.  Love it!

Mandy

Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline sbdriver

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 10:50:42 AM »
I love books too and prefer to read one that's physically in my hands. I especially love the ones that are so good I can't put them down although that wrecks havoc on my sleep when I have to go to work the next morning  ;D  ;D
Laurie
Many hands make light work

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 01:56:41 PM »
I'm reading a book I've read before. 

It's A Wilder Rose by Susan Wittig Albert.  I am really enjoying this book.  It's a novel based on Rose Wilder Lane' s diaries and letters.  Very interesting.  If you're a fan of the Little House books, I think you'd enjoy this one, especially as it focuses a lot on how the books were written and how much of a part Rose had in writing them.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 01:37:59 PM »
I just finished my 'Book I've Already Read' (Harry Potter 3: Prisoner of Azkaban).  I sat down with my challenge list and searched a few book lists on Goodreads to try to figure out what I want to read for each of the categories I've chosen.  Here's what I have so far:

- [ ] A book published this year
       Bookishly Ever After

- [ ] A book you can finish in a day
       ?

- [ ] A book you've been meaning to read
       Death By Cashmere (Seaside Knitters Book #1)

- [ ] A librarian/bookseller recommended book
       Ready Player One

- [ ] A book you should have read in school
       Count of Monte Cristo

- [ ] A book chosen by your spouse, partner, BFF, child, etc
       Secret Garden

- [ ] A book published before you were born
       Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret

- [ ] A book banned at some point
       Bridge to Terabithia

- [ ] A book you've previously abandoned
       ?

- [ ] A book you own but haven't read
       ?

- [ ] A book that intimidates you
       ?

- [X] A book you've read at least once
       Harry Potter 3: Prisoner of Azkaban

- [ ] A Pulitzer-prize winning book
       All the Light We Cannot See

- [ ] A book more than 100 years old
       Pride and Prejudice

- [ ] A book with an author who shares my initials
       ? (need to just go browse the library for this one!)

- [ ] A book that came out the year I was born
       The Stand

- [ ] A book set somewhere I would like to visit
       The Witches
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 01:38:41 PM by MissMandy »

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 01:52:35 PM »
I am not doing well in this.  I need to sit down and read and sadly, I have not had time and when I do have a little time, I just want to sit and do something completely mindless.  I'll hop on this and be better about it soon.  Just gotta get a little more organized here and then I can actually think.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 01:57:24 PM »

I am not doing well in this.  I need to sit down and read and sadly, I have not had time and when I do have a little time, I just want to sit and do something completely mindless.

Not like you've been busy with anything else lately  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 04:13:12 PM »
just a wee bit

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 01:31:20 PM »
I love this idea! I used to read all the time, but the last couple years, I just watch tv cause I feel too tired to do anything else.  I'd like to break that habit and read every other night and knit on my tv nights.

I think my first book will be Catcher in the Rye which is under the category of a book that should have been read in high school. It wasn't a required book, but I feel like it should have been.

The original challenge is:

- [ ] A book published this year
- [ ] A book you can finish in a day
- [ ] A book you should have read in school (starting Catcher in the Rye)
- [ ] A book chosen by your spouse, partner, BFF, child, etc
- [ ] A book you've read at least once

And in addition, I've added to my own list:

Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 05:04:10 AM »
Awesome, Shelly!  Catcher in the Rye was required when I was in school, and I LOVED it.  Enjoy :)

I've just started The Secret Garden, which is my 'recommended by my spouse' category.  I even found Jean's old copy in the basement, and it has sweet little drawings and additions that he made to the illustrations at the beginning of each chapter.

Mandy

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 09:33:29 AM »
Cather in the Rye is one that I want to read too. My oldest read it and loved it so much that he bought it for his collection.

I did sit down and read a couple chapters of For the Love yesterday.. after halfway through, I realized that I had read those chapters already, lol.  The bookmark had fallen out and got put back in at the wrong place.  Oh well, I enjoyed the chapters again and plan to read some more today.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 09:46:08 AM »
Tried to read Outlander and finally gave up.  Just not my genre, I guess.  Yesterday, got a notice from the library that the ebook of After the Storm by Linda Castillo was available so I downloaded that and have read 80% already, putting it ahead of several other books I have checked out or downloaded. 

I don't have the excuse of moving, but have also been in a reading slump till that book yesterday.  By the time I have the free time to read, I'm ready to watch something instead.  But am now running out of the things I'm interested in watching. 

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 06:49:10 AM »
I haven't posted here in a long time, but I have been reading.  I have read 12 books so far this year, but they don't all fit the categories we have chosen.  Here is what I have so far:

- [ ] A book published this year - Dodgers by Bill Beverly

- [ ] A book you can finish in a day - The Messenger by Lois Lowry

- [ ] A book you should have read in school - To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - this wasn't required when I was in school, but should have been.  I have read this before as well.  It is, probably, my favorite book.

- [ ] A book chosen by your spouse, partner, BFF, child, etc - Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult

- [ ] A book you've read at least once - Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Denise