Author Topic: 2016 Reading Challenge  (Read 15649 times)

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
Re: 2016 Reading Challenge
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2016, 04:13:21 PM »
LOVE To Kill a Mockingbird!  It's one of the only books-turned-movie that I've see where I thought the film was just as good as the book.

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2016, 04:15:24 PM »
I am currently reading We Are Not Ourselves, and it's...hmmm...not sad...scary? Scary that the lives of the characters could be our lives one day?  Without giving too much away, the father is diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's, and you follow the progression through the eyes of his wife and child.  I've almost finished it, and I really have no idea how it will turn out or how I will feel at the end.

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2016, 04:22:27 AM »
Mandy, I agree with you on To Kill a Mockingbird.  It is also one of my favorite movies.  I am currently reading Go Set a Watchman which is the sequel or whatever they called it.  Let's just say, it is not going to hold the same place in my heart as the original.  😕

I finished Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult yesterday.  It was fabulous!  Last Christmas, I bought it for Madelyn and she bought it for me, too!  I am putting this in my "Recommended by a family member" category.

Denise

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2016, 06:10:57 PM »
Can I have a do over on this thread?  I'm apparently not doing well at it.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2016, 09:08:37 AM »
Can I have a do over on this thread?  I'm apparently not doing well at it.

I'm not either, and I started the dang thread (I think)!  ;D

Mandy

Offline Rooney

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2016, 03:12:49 PM »
Is anyone still doing this?  I don't have much time to just read recreationally, but I am making an amazon order today and was thinking of adding in a couple of books for myself...for good behavior. lol ;)  Has anyone read The Girl on the Train or The Woman in Cabin 10 or What Alice Forgot?  I have heard good reviews on them all.  Anyone read any of them?

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2016, 03:16:28 PM »
I've read The Girl on the Train, but don't remember much about it.  Sorry, not much help, am I?  ;)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2016, 03:20:32 PM »
I started this thread, and even I'm no longer following it! :-[  I tried for a good while, but there were so many other things that I wanted to read that didn't 'fit'.  Oh well, at least I'm still reading a bunch!

I did read The Girl on the Train, and I enjoyed it.  I'm not usually much of a thriller or mystery fan, but this one was clever and held my interest.

Mandy

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2016, 03:24:57 PM »
Mandy, I try to read some every night, but usually end up falling asleep.  I check out so many books from the library that after a while they all sort of run together and I forget what they're about.  (Of course that's probably because I'm getting older!)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Rooney

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2016, 05:42:53 PM »
I started this thread, and even I'm no longer following it! :-[  I tried for a good while, but there were so many other things that I wanted to read that didn't 'fit'.  Oh well, at least I'm still reading a bunch!

I did read The Girl on the Train, and I enjoyed it.  I'm not usually much of a thriller or mystery fan, but this one was clever and held my interest.

Mandy

Oh, good!  That is the one that seemed to have nothing but good reviews.  Ya know, I was thinking about it and I believe this may be my first fiction read since college. Yikes :o!  Too many things to learn over the years that I just ended up reading all nonfiction and reference to keep learning.  May be good to try something different.

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2016, 07:37:02 AM »
I have been reading a lot of books lately by Diane Chamberlain. What I don't love are a few (very few) sex scenes but that is part of what makes the story so I get over it. "The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes", "The Silent Sister", "Pretending to Dance", "Necessary Lies" are all very interesting and I often cannot put the book down. I'm also reading a lot of WWII love stories that are fiction but based on true life experiences. I've also read "The Girl on the Train" which was not my favorite but it was OK.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2016, 09:08:41 AM »
I have not been following this thread, but have read 31 books so far this year.  The Girl on the Train was one of them and I enjoyed it very much.

Denise

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2016, 10:11:34 AM »
I enjoyed The Girl on the TrainThe Woman in Cabin 10 is on reserve at the library and I am finally next in line. 

I tried a couple of Gillian Flynn books the past couple of weeks.  Whoa!  I like the plot turns but think they are a bit too dark for my taste. 

I'm still reading, actually quite a lot, just haven't been posting much.  Once in a while, I update on goodreads, but don't always bother.  Just started another AT trail hiking memoir--those are bittersweet.  Love the stories, but want to be out hiking it, not just reading about it so they leave me a little depressed.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2016, 10:31:59 AM »
I enjoyed The Girl on the TrainThe Woman in Cabin 10 is on reserve at the library and I am finally next in line. 

I tried a couple of Gillian Flynn books the past couple of weeks.  Whoa!  I like the plot turns but think they are a bit too dark for my taste. 

I will have to look into The Woman in Cabin 10 - I have seen several recommendations for it recently.

I really enjoy Gillian Flynn - I guess I am a little dark and twisty.  😂😂

Denise

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2016, 05:59:18 PM »

I will have to look into The Woman in Cabin 10 - I have seen several recommendations for it recently.

I really enjoy Gillian Flynn - I guess I am a little dark and twisty.  😂😂

Denise

Haha!  I read Gone Girl followed by Dark Places.  Both hard to put down.  I guess I just can't read too much dark stuff back to back, and I had just read In the Woods by Tana French (I think) the week before and have the second book in the series in on e-book from the library to read next--also dark twisty books.

Today, I stopped by the library to look for some audio books to listen to while I work on an afghan I'm crocheting for a Christmas gift.  And what do you know?!?  The Woman in Cabin 10 was in for me.  So I have that, the second Dublin Murder Squad book, and my AT book I'm currently reading.