Author Topic: Hello dear friends!  (Read 3285 times)

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Hello dear friends!
« on: January 14, 2016, 09:28:25 AM »
    I hope to be back now. I get involved in things when I am off and just plain forget to check in here. Now that is a pitiful excuse, I know. Sorry. I have had a horrible cold. I am on day 11, so hopefully it will soon be gone. LOL A med-tech I work with says it takes 14 days to get rid of this, so I am close.  ;D
    I still enjoy my job, but our census is down so low that everyone's hours have been cut. I have been working 2 days and then 3 days off. I am mostly on the early morning shift, but that is ok, because it means I get more hours. I do still work the evening shift once in a while, but mostly just to fill in for someone. I would be off till next Thurs, except one of the young ones asked me to work for her on Sat. evening. I figured I might as well.  ;) The coworker that I used to be at odds with and now am friends with asked me to trade weekends off with her. Since I had no plans, I did. Her son is playing basketball and she wanted to be there. I don't blame her. So I am off for a week, then work for about 7 days straight.
    The past year was a rough one for our residents. We lost 12 or 13 dear residents in 2015. Many of these were long time residents. They ranged in age from 80 to 100. Losing these dear people is the hardest part of my job. Many of these were ladies, who I fed their last meal to them. Now we have 2 gentlemen who recently went on hospice. Hospice doesn't mean they are ready to die, but it does mean that they are so seriously ill that only the hospice meds can keep them comfortable. I sat with one of these gentlemen yesterday. He has Alzheimer's and is known for hitting. My charge nurse told me to sit by him but stay on my toes and be ready to duck. She said if he declined his high protein shake, to leave him alone. Well, I sat beside him, rubbed his arm and talked softly to him. He drank his whole shake, 2 glasses of ice water, a glass of orange juice, and a glass of grape juice.  :o My charge nurse could not believe it. No one had been able to get him to eat or drink in days. His wife was so appreciative to me. That man drank over 925cc of liquid plus his power shake. He even smiled at me, so I know God was helping me with him. It is moments like this that make me love this job and know that I am where I am supposed to be.
   Sorry to ramble on and on about my job, but any more, that is kind of my life. My life has taken a direction that I never could have ever expected. I never dreamed that I would some day be working while Kevin keeps things at home going, But you know what, I know God has had a hand in this, because everything is working so great. I have done no quilting in over a year. Just have lost my quilting mojo. Maybe some day I will get it back. I have another niece getting married in August, but I guess she will get cash since no way I have time to make her a quilt like I did her sister. Hayley (my niece that got married a couple of  years ago) is expecting her first baby in May. It is a little girl. I think I will crochet her an afghan for the little one. I do a bit of crocheting now and then, but not much knitting. I just enjoy crocheting more. LOL  8)
   I am so looking forward to spring. Last year was a total bust on the garden. We didn't get anything out of it, but a few potatoes. We did have our kids come and dig the potatoes. We gave them several bags full to feed their families. So I hope to have a very small but good garden this year. I have to get it in my head that garden work has to be done on days off. LOL Last year, I worked so many days that when I had time off I just wanted to chill, or I had to get groceries, etc.
   My chickens are laying up a storm. (Thanks Cathy!) I saved 2 roosters, but something got both of them and the light colored pullet this fall. This all happened in one afternoon while I was at work. So I have 6 hens and no rooster to protect them. I also still have 5 ducks which I know is going to be a mess this spring. Three of them are drakes.  ::) Anyway, I enjoy my poultry. Buddy has gotten too fat this winter, so in spring, he and I are going to do lots if walking and playing outside. Callie and Aeris are still the queens around the place. I would love another small dog or a kitten, but Kevin says we have enough. LOL I know he is right. We may decide to get a large dog to kind of protect the place, but not sure I want to train another puppy right now. LOL I am thinking a chocolate lab, but still no decision on that yet. Kevin would be on board with another dog for protection. We'll see. I still miss old Midget. I will never find another one like him.
   Well, it seems that I have written a book, so I guess I will end this. I have missed the board, but I see so many of you on FB that I guess I was slacking.  :-[ I hope you are all doing well with your families. Have a great day.

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Re: Hello dear friends!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 11:01:58 AM »
Dear Winona.

Glad to see you back. What a full life you have. I will share that I too, work outside the home while hubby does very minimal and only part time work outside the home. It isn't easy and he doesn't like it but that is how it is for now. I have worked outside the home most of my life even with young kids but 3 years ago, hubby took an early retirement because he has a bad hip and he knew he couldn't do many more years anymore. Next week he goes to the surgeon for a pre-op consultation for the hip replacement.  When that is done, he hopes to find more permanent full time work but the problem now is that he is old(er) and potential employers can see that on resumes and often stay away. I'm OK with bringing in the income and am thankful that I even have a job. I'm glad you love yours also. Stay strong!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 11:09:35 AM »
Winona, I am so glad to see you back!  It sounds as if you're very busy, but I am happy for your update.   :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Linda G.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 12:03:53 PM »
Winona,  love you so much Dear Lady.....glad things are working out....and your story about the little gentleman drinking all his stuff brought tears to my eyes...hope he continues to do this for you each time you are there...

Offline Rooney

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 12:18:08 PM »
THERE is that sweet lady! ;D  Have missed you!  Sounds like you are doing wonderfully and that you are TRULY a gift to those you are helping each day.  Guess the Lord knew exactly where you need to be. :) Then again, doesn't he always? ;)  So glad to hear that things are going well with your life and that you and Kevin are healthy and happy!  Stop by and see us over here on this little board more often, friend. ;) 

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 12:47:24 PM »
Welcome Back Winona!!  We have missed you!

What a blessing you are to all you work with! Both residents and fellow employees.

So happy you have adjusted to this season of your life, and look forward to seeing more of you around here!

Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline sbdriver

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 12:21:36 AM »
Nice to catch up with you Winona and glad you came back to check in with us.

I love that a bunch of us are back on here again!
Laurie
Many hands make light work

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 07:15:25 PM »
So nice to see you, Winona, and read all that you've been up to. What a blessing you are to those around you. I've thought of your post often today, and your example of how we can be content in our circumstances and make a positive impact in others' lives. Thank you for sharing and being an encouragement to us!

Blessings,
Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 01:32:04 PM »
Glad to see you, Winona!
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)