Author Topic: Favorite lentil and split pea recipes  (Read 2333 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Favorite lentil and split pea recipes
« on: January 19, 2016, 06:34:34 AM »
Looking for ways to use up lots of lentils and split peas.  I have black lentils which cook up pretty well and red ones which tend to turn to mush.  We like them okay mixed with ground beef and seasoned for tacos, and can eat them in a soup recipe, but aren't super crazy about them.  Do you have a recipe that might change our mind?  We aren't huge fans of tomatoey recipes around here---don't avoid tomatoes but don't like tomatoey soups.

And split peas?  I have 25 lbs of yellow ones, argh.  Not terribly excited over this find but I know they could help the grocery budget so I aim to use them over the next few months.  I did not grow up eating split peas in any form though I know many like soups from them.

Thanks!

Offline sbdriver

Re: Favorite lentil and split pea recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 10:07:41 AM »
I don't like any of those so I'm of no help but I wish you good luch using them up. You're right, they'll help with the grocery budget  :)
Laurie
Many hands make light work

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
I'm sorry I'm no help, but the only lentils we use are the red mushy ones, and we use them the ways you've already listed.

I don't believe I've ever had split peas. 
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 01:15:57 PM »
Ha, so I'm not the only who has trouble with these!  In all honesty, I believe I bought the split peas to use as a source of protein when I was mixing my own chicken feed.  But the chickens picked out the green split peas and left them so I never got around to using the bag of yellow ones, though they ARE human grade ones, not animal ones.  So see, even the chickens aren't into split peas...not fit for the birds, haha.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 05:07:47 AM »
I have recipes that use both.  I make a veggie pot pie stew that uses yellow split peas and have several recipes that use lentils.  If you are on Pinterest, look in my Vegetarian and Soup files.  The other recipes I use are from vegan cookbooks.  I will copy them and put them in the mail to you.  I will let you know when I send them.  😊

Denise

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 07:02:15 AM »
I have recipes that use both.  I make a veggie pot pie stew that uses yellow split peas and have several recipes that use lentils.  If you are on Pinterest, look in my Vegetarian and Soup files.  The other recipes I use are from vegan cookbooks.  I will copy them and put them in the mail to you.  I will let you know when I send them.  😊

Denise

Thank you, Denise!

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 11:48:16 AM »
Came across this recipe on Dig for Your Dinner just now.  Thought I'd post in case Denise or anyone else is interested.  I just so happen to have a butternut squash on hand, too.  :) 

http://digforyourdinner.com/slow-cooker-vegetarian-lentil-stew-with-butternut-squash/

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 12:02:42 PM »
How about these Catherine?

I have never bought lentils, but maybe I should!

http://www.thereciperebel.com/no-bake-chocolate-peanut-butter-lentil-cookies/

Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 01:32:17 PM »
How about these Catherine?

I have never bought lentils, but maybe I should!

http://www.thereciperebel.com/no-bake-chocolate-peanut-butter-lentil-cookies/

Pam

Ha!  That's an interesting use of them.  I am allergic to peanuts, but maybe I could pull one over on the kids?  :D  Thanks!

shedrinkzcoffee

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 02:30:39 PM »
We like these 2 recipe for lentils

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/lentilsandrice.htm

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/tacolentilsrice.htm

Her taco lentil recipe you linked to is what I used to make!  Don't think I've tried the other one, though....thank you!

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 03:04:32 PM »
Here is a recipe for Sweet Potato and Lentil Chili.  Even my lentil hater, Molly, likes this.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:05:36 PM by Proudmama »

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 12:13:28 PM »
I am making the Sweet Potato and Lentil Chili today and just realized something.  The recipe calls for steamed lentils.  I just add the lentils dry and cook until they are soft.  I always let my chili cook for a long time so I am not exactly sure how much cooking time this adds. They cook through so you don't need to cook them ahead of time.

Denise