Author Topic: Forgotten prep items  (Read 3216 times)

Offline sbdriver

Forgotten prep items
« on: January 24, 2016, 01:05:30 PM »
I was just curious if any of you ladies who have just gone through or still are going through the big snow storm had forgotten anything you wish you had? I know a lot of you stocked up and were prepared but what other items might you have gotten now that you went through this?

Thought this might be a good topic to bring up again as I know we all like to be prepared.
Laurie
Many hands make light work

Offline allison5273

Re: Forgotten prep items
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 04:03:02 PM »
I usually am pretty well stocked so I didn't miss anything this snow. One thing I bought for this storm that I wish I would have had for others is a drying rack. We set it up in front of our pellet stove to dry snowy clothes but it would also be great over a floor vent. It was dried things quickly and kept them contained in one place.

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 02:31:22 AM »
I craved Cobb salad. We were only snowed in two days but man I wanted that salad. I had a stomach bug too. So I did t need that salad. I can get out now but guess what?? Don't want that salad anymore. Lol
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 04:26:29 AM »
We were very prepared this storm.  We had plenty of food, but I did buy some snacks and planned meals so I knew we had everything we needed.  Doug put the shovels on the front porch and filled the bucket of salt.  He also filled the gas container for the generator and had that ready if we needed it.  He knew where he would put the generator if we needed it, too.  The only thing I should have gotten, and I need this in general, is a mat to put wet shoes.  I had been meaning to get this but forgot. 

Our one daughter went to a friend's house on Friday with the plan to stay until Sunday and our son did the same with a friend of his.  Our son did not anticipate that his friend's parking lot would not be plowed so Doug had to get him in order for him to get to work on Sunday, but the roads were ok by then.

Denise

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 12:00:46 PM »
We were also well stocked.  Of course, there are still things on our 'someday list' that we will eventually invest in - fixing/replacing the engine in the snowblower, a generator, and possibly a wood stove insert for our fireplace, to be exact - but we were just fine without these items, and would have been even if the power had gone out.  We didn't get propane for the grill (Jean just forgot to take the tank into town with him), but we ended up not losing power, so we didn't need it.  We could always cook in our fireplace if we needed to. 

The big thing for us is that we're on a well, so if we lose power, we also lose water.  We keep a stock of bottled water and big jugs/dispensers of water, plus I fill up gamma seal buckets of water (or sometimes the bathtub) for flushing toilets.
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥