Challenges and Daily Discussions > Daily Devotional and Ponderings

Contentment

(1/3) > >>

Shelly:
Contentment.  This is a topic that has been heavy on my heart and mind lately.  Everywhere we turn, we see images of beautiful homes, clothing, makeup and all things made to make us feel better about ourselves or to make others feel better about us.  You cannot check out at a grocery store without being bombarded by magazines purporting to make us into super women who can create these lavish meals on perfect dishes set on a perfect table with beautiful floors, walls and window treatments.  Even while checking email, these images find their way into our homes by way of ads thanks to google.  How is one to cope when our surroundings are seemingly less than society tells us they should be?  How does one not fall into the cyclical trap of wanting more and more?   

"Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." Hebrews 13:5  I found this verse recently and it resonated in my heart.  Be content with what you have and the He will never forsake us.  That is a comforting thought.  We will not be forgotten and our needs will be met.  How many times have we felt like there was more month than money?  Or with less food than hunger and yet our needs were met again and again?

"Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate; Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life." 1 Timothy 6: 17 - 19.  I sometimes wonder about those who live the "high life."  How many of them are truly happy?  With the amount of substance abuse, I would guess not many.  Yet we see many people throughout the world whom we would label as "poor" and they have smiles on their faces and are willing to share their meager supplies.  They have found true happiness, I believe.  I think about those people and compare my own way of living.  I have a small home that is on its way to a century and a half old.  My furniture is nearly 100 percent hand me downs, but it is sufficient for our needs.  The Lord has always provided for my family and we have never gone hungry nor been without shelter.  He has not forsaken me and yet I find myself looking at my worn upholstery wishing for something new. I do sometimes find myself daydreaming about a large house with magazine ready furnishings. If I have those things, will I be happy?  Again, my guess is I would not if that is all I work for in this life.   Do I feel that improving one's home and acquiring nice things is wrong?  Absolutely not.  I feel that having a safe and comfortable home is perfectly within the lines of reason.  I only feel that we step outside of those lines when we place less important goals in front of more important goals.  For example, purchasing a new expensive couch instead of paying off the car or buying a new pair of jeans instead of building our food supply.

So, I choose not to look at magazines that make me wish for things that would put my family on a path into debt.  When I feel those covetous thoughts enter my mind, I remind myself that my worn couch is worn because of all of the meaningful discussions my husband and I have had there.  My clothes that may be a few seasons old can remind me of all the places I have been. My needs are met and material things cannot fill the voids I may feel in my heart.  Turning myself towards Christ is the only way to fill those.

Andrea G:
Well said. By a lot of peoples' standards we are poor.  We don't have all the big expensive toys. We have only one vehicle now. We don't go on vacations to exotic places.  We don't eat out very often. Our house is a fixer-upper that we will probably never be done fixing up.  But we have what we need and some of what we want, and that's okay.  The rest really doesn't matter anyway. :)

Shelly:
You sound a lot like us, Andrea.  Our house was built in 1874 and we're constantly rebuilding and fixing.  (currently our bathroom) and we have 1 car and we make do in a lot of places.  You're right.  The extras really don't matter at all, do they?  We have plenty of food and we have clothes and we have enough money to pay our bills and save some away for the future.  When I think of things in this way, my heart feels full and I feel peace.  The trick is keeping the negative images of how we "should" be living out.  :)

Andrea G:
I am glad we are living this way, and it is much less stressful since we are not obsessed with our possessions.  We are working on our upstairs bathroom too, and whenever it gets done then we can do the other one, which has a lot of fun issues to deal with. All in good time. :)

greyhoundgirl:
Thanks, Shelly, I needed this today.  While I'm not into fancy stuff at all, today has been a bit of a down day for me and I was really feeling sorry for myself over the soup I had made for lunch (and disliked).  A silly little thing, but on top of some sadness already in my heart today it was just setting me off, I guess you'd say.  So thanks for the reminder.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version