Author Topic: Instant Pot question  (Read 4540 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Instant Pot question
« on: February 18, 2016, 05:40:01 AM »
I think I read of few of you ladies have purchased and used Instant Pot. What is the best model to get? I'm seriously thinking about getting one.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

shedrinkzcoffee

Re: Instant Pot question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 12:02:45 PM »
I just got this one and I absolutely LOVE it!

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Programmable-Stainless/dp/B00FLYWNYQ

It arrived late on Monday.  Tuesday morning, I did the water test to make sure it was working and that also cleans it of any box debris.  Then I made chicken stock for the freezer.. perfect and gelatinous and wonderful.  Took 2 hours to cook under pressure and it is the best that I have ever made! Tuesday night we had pork chops with potatoes and carrots.. again perfect!  Wednesday morning, I made apple pie oatmeal (3 minutes under pressure) and I made chili in it last night.. super easy recipe and it was really good.  This morning, I made hard boiled eggs in it and I am getting ready to made "refried" beans in it for dinner.  Making them early since we all have places to be this evening.

If you don't care about the yogurt function you could get the 6 in 1 but I plan on making yogurt so I wanted the 7 in 1.  You can also proof bread with the yogurt function so I think that will be a nice feature too.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 06:01:39 AM »
Erica, did you get any special cookbooks, or are you just tweaking your regular recipes?  I just ordered a 6-in-1 this morning (don't think I will use it for yogurt, so it saved a lot) but am wondering if I should have gotten a cookbook to get me started.  I had mentioned it to Earl and he encouraged me to go for it.  Hoping it will be helpful on those nights when I am out of time and might normally pick up takeout or something.  This is what I got:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073GIN08/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=wellnessmama-20&linkId=d174b814f3fb3a5626b3a03a0aa39e3f

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 09:08:34 AM »
Wow that thing looks great! Hmmmm my birthday is coming up....
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 01:12:12 PM »
Erica, did you get any special cookbooks, or are you just tweaking your regular recipes?  I just ordered a 6-in-1 this morning (don't think I will use it for yogurt, so it saved a lot) but am wondering if I should have gotten a cookbook to get me started.  I had mentioned it to Earl and he encouraged me to go for it.  Hoping it will be helpful on those nights when I am out of time and might normally pick up takeout or something.  This is what I got:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073GIN08/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=wellnessmama-20&linkId=d174b814f3fb3a5626b3a03a0aa39e3f

Catherine - I bought Great Food Fast by Bob Warden and The Great Big Pressure Cooker Cookbook.  They both seem to cater to the instant Pot.  I am on a few Facebook groups for them and I get recipes there and online.  I can  post links to good sites if you want me to.

I didn't think I would make yogurt in mine but I tried it and OMG, its amazing!  I made a cheesecake in it a couple days ago and it was a BIG hit.  I am planning a Mississippi Roast in it tonight but may put that off until tomorrow.  I may actually use the stove tonight, lolol.

Offline Alice

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 01:22:44 PM »
I'm really, really up in the air about this one--should I or shouldn't I get one. I think you almost need a recipe book but I rarely use recipes when cooking meals though I always use them for cookies and cakes.

I have a slow cooker and regular pans and I'm trying to justify buying this.

Convince me, ladies!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 01:58:03 PM »
I am probably going to put my crockpot away since the IP has a crockpot function.  I'll keep it to take to potlucks though.  It will go in the garage.  I'm getting rid of the yogurt maker since I make in in the IP now.  It makes rice and I could get rid of the rice cooker but I seem to use them at the same time so the rice cooker stays.  The cookbooks were cheap (about 12 bucks each) and full of fun recipes and there is always the internet for recipes.  You can still use your own recipes and make things up.. just gotta figure out the cook time on it.  I love cookbooks though.  And its fast and blends the flavors SO well!

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 02:19:47 PM »
I am probably going to put my crockpot away since the IP has a crockpot function.  I'll keep it to take to potlucks though.  It will go in the garage.  I'm getting rid of the yogurt maker since I make in in the IP now.  It makes rice and I could get rid of the rice cooker but I seem to use them at the same time so the rice cooker stays.  The cookbooks were cheap (about 12 bucks each) and full of fun recipes and there is always the internet for recipes.  You can still use your own recipes and make things up.. just gotta figure out the cook time on it.  I love cookbooks though.  And its fast and blends the flavors SO well!

Thanks for sharing!  I used to have a pressure cooker years ago and it did cook things quickly and well.  But our family outgrew it.  My kids don't care for homemade yogurt and I only eat Greek so I'm quite sure I didn't need that feature here, but it sounds like it works well for you.  I've never had a rice cooker but I do use a veggie steamer--for me, that would be like your rice cooker, might need it while the IP is in use so I'll wait a bit to get rid of it.  I will probably keep the slow cooker for broth.  Two years ago, both crockpots died close together and I only got one 7 qt. replacement.  I think the 6 qt IP will be a tad small but okay for things where we don't need much left over. 

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 09:11:03 AM »
Well, I ordered one. It'll be here thursday. I'm excited!
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Alice

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 09:21:00 AM »
Sadly, I've decided against it. It sounds like I need to learn how to cook all over again just for the pot and then I would need cookbooks at least until I figured out the ratios and I just can't spend that right now. It probably would make life easier but I can't justify the cost.

Maybe at a later date I can reconsider.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 10:52:59 AM »
Well, I ordered one. It'll be here thursday. I'm excited!

You will LOVE it!  I made the best ribs in the history of ribs for dinner last night!  :)

Which one did you get?  The 7 in 1 Duo?

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 08:55:11 AM »
I got the same one you did

Offline Alice

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 08:49:13 AM »
I've got to ask a few more questions about the Instant pot as a canner. Can I use this as a canner? If so, how many quarts or pints can go in at once? I have a large stove top pressure canner but if this is a counter top canner as well as a cooker I still might want to buy one. I don't need to do 8 quarts at a time but probably would like to do a few at a time for my almost new small family.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 06:47:38 PM »
Instant Pot says you can do water bath canning but not pressure canning.  Wouldn't hold a lot, though.  Jam jars or the 12 oz taller ones might work well.  http://instantpot.com/?s=canning