Author Topic: Best Canners to Purchase  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Rooney

Best Canners to Purchase
« on: September 27, 2013, 09:39:52 PM »
We are getting ready to have to purchase a canner.  This is all new to us and I have actually never canned anything before.  The canner we are considering is the All-American.  Does anybody know if this is a good one or would you recommend something else?  Want to get it right because this is a kind of pricey item that will be used a lot.

Offline Sandlappersue

Re: Best Canners to Purchase
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
All American is indeed the best. No doubt. ;)

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 06:20:44 AM »
All-American is a great brand.  It'll last a lifetime, so it's a good investment.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 10:44:25 AM »
Thanks girls.  I just needed some reassurance from some expert canners that this was the right pick.  This is the one we will go with.  Now for the canning itself, I have seen it done many times growing up, but I am a little nervous about having to do it myself.  Dh has said that we will learn together and he will help because that always makes trying something new easier. ;)  Love that guy. :)

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 05:47:58 AM »
Aw, that's awesome he's so supportive.  I was scared of pressure canners at first, but as long as you follow the directions, they're perfectly safe.  Have fun! 
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 07:38:51 AM »
I was nervous the first time too, but it really is easy.  Just follow the directions and you will not have any problems.  I have a Presto, which I really like.  But I have always heard good things about the All-American and if I ever buy another one I would probably try and find one.  I have never seen them here in Canada but having an American SIL comes in really handy for stuff like that.  ;D
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 08:05:01 AM »
I also have a presto that I like and have never had any problems.  All American does seem like a good brand after reading reviews.
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 08:40:02 AM »
I grew up watching my mom use a pressure cooker, so wasn't really scared to use mine when I first got it, I think mine is also Presto, but I have had it for about 30 years and never had a problem with it. I couldn't even begin to count the number of jars I have canned. One of the first things I learned when canning, once the pressure is up, do not leave the room. Stay with it and check regularly. I have a tendency to lose track of time when I go into another room. Can't do that with a canner going. So I either am working on the next canner load, or have a book or handwork already in place when I start canning. It is not hard and you will do great. Just follow directions. 

I will also just throw this out, because I have read of ladies that tried to cool their canners down too fast. Let it cool down naturally so the pressure comes down slowly. Never open the lid till all the pressure has come down. Probably advice that you didn't need to hear because you knew this anyway, but I thought I'd throw my many years of experience out there.  ;)

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 10:59:12 AM »
I also have a Presto.  It has the weights and no dial gauge.  I was a little nervous when I replaced my old canner which has the gauge with this one, but I think I like it better since I can listen to it "jiggling" and know it's keeping the pressure.

My mother has the All-American and I've borrowed it a couple of times.  I'd love to have one of those someday.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 12:02:44 PM »
, but I think I like it better since I can listen to it "jiggling" and know it's keeping the pressure.

I like the "jiggle" feature too.  It's easy to know when it's got the pressure up and I like to hear it "keeping" the pressure.  :)

Offline Rooney

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 12:43:01 PM »
I remember hearing that noise as a kid when my mom canned.  But as noisy as our house gets, I better not rely on what it sounds like. ;D  And Winona, don't worry because I am so anxious about trying this that I will definitely not be leaving the stovetop while the canner is pressurized. ;)  What about the size though?  How do you figure out what quart size canner you need to buy?  I was looking at 30 quart, but was just guessing really.