The Barn and Fields > Gardening

2016 Gardening

<< < (7/7)

Cheryl:
I am interested in hearing the results of your lettuce growing experiment.  I would LOVE to be able to grow lettuce in the warmer months.

We planted some lemon cucumbers and so far we've picked a grand total of 2!  I am so disappointed because I love these, but this year they were a flop. 

Last year I was picking green beans on Halloween, and this year we barely have enough to eat.  I think my tomatoes are already slowing down.  I hope to get enough to make some spaghetti sauce and a couple batches of salsa.  I've made fresh salsa with some already, but I need to can some.

We did great with cantaloupe.  We are giving them away and keeping a few for ourselves.  My peppers aren't doing as well as I'd hoped.  I'm already planning my fall garden in my mind.

greyhoundgirl:

--- Quote from: Cheryl on July 10, 2016, 11:04:50 AM ---I am interested in hearing the results of your lettuce growing experiment.  I would LOVE to be able to grow lettuce in the warmer months.

We planted some lemon cucumbers and so far we've picked a grand total of 2!  I am so disappointed because I love these, but this year they were a flop. 

Last year I was picking green beans on Halloween, and this year we barely have enough to eat.  I think my tomatoes are already slowing down.  I hope to get enough to make some spaghetti sauce and a couple batches of salsa.  I've made fresh salsa with some already, but I need to can some.

We did great with cantaloupe.  We are giving them away and keeping a few for ourselves.  My peppers aren't doing as well as I'd hoped.  I'm already planning my fall garden in my mind.

--- End quote ---

Have you ever tried planting bush beans after your hottest weather is through to harvest in Sept/Oct?  An old-timer here at the farmer's market told me that's what he does.  In fact, the last time I canned a substantial amount of beans they were from him, in October.  I am planning to do that this year as well.

Cheryl:
Several years ago we planted the yellow wax beans.  They seemed to produce a lot.   Have you ever grown pintos?  I think I'd like to try them.

One time I planted yellow squash in September.  We didn't have to worry about those bugs on the plants.  Tomorrow I'm going to plant some peas where we had our squash.  I need to be thinking about what to plant in the space where the cabbage was.  Maybe that's where I'll put more beans.

greyhoundgirl:

--- Quote from: Cheryl on July 10, 2016, 02:24:35 PM ---Several years ago we planted the yellow wax beans.  They seemed to produce a lot.   Have you ever grown pintos?  I think I'd like to try them.

One time I planted yellow squash in September.  We didn't have to worry about those bugs on the plants.  Tomorrow I'm going to plant some peas where we had our squash.  I need to be thinking about what to plant in the space where the cabbage was.  Maybe that's where I'll put more beans.

--- End quote ---

No, haven't tried pintos yet.  Our space is just so limited.   :/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version