The Barn and Fields > Gardening

2016 Gardening

<< < (2/7) > >>

Cathie:
We planted 45 vines last night, 15 more to go. These are Cabernet Vine grapes.   We will plant the rest by this weekend

I want to plant sunflowers - I'm pretty sure I have the seeds

I will buy a tomato plant, herbs

I bought 20 strawberry plants - they need to go in

I have bought 2 fig trees - they need to go in

I need to buy rose bushes to plant by the grape vines

greyhoundgirl:
Go Cathie!  You should be eating (and drinking) well before long!  I mean, I'm sure you do already but from your own crops.

It's been 2 or 3 weeks, but we planted out the three blackberry bushes.  Also, about 44 of the 50 strawberry plants I'd ordered.  Earl built me a planter out of pallets inspired by one I'd seen online.  Looks like a manger to me, but with strawberries growing from the sides and top.  The bare root plants have greened up and are doing well. 

Got my beans planted last week before the rain.  A few are poking up and more should be shortly.  I did a small area of bush beans, then we did a pole bean teepee and also an archway made from a 16 foot cattle panel.

Still harvesting kale and spinach.  The first of the Romaine is about ready.  Sugar snaps had to be pulled due to powdery mildew after all the rain, but I planted out a few tomatoes in that spot. 

Planted out some storebought pepper starts last Saturday, too.  I have some homegrown ones but they are still small, so will wait a bit on those.

My biggest garden chore this week has been pulling the weeds from all the "helicopter" seed pods from a tree.  There are thousands of them sprouting up.  I spent a long time yesterday working on them with plenty more to do today.  :(  We're supposed to climb into the 80's this weekend, though, and I don't want those to continue growing.

Oh, fun thing!  Next to my little apple tree, some other plant was coming up.  At first I thought the apple tree had sprouted another plant from the roots, but on closer inspection, the leaves were different.  So I pulled it up, only to find it was a little pecan tree growing from a pecan either a kid or squirrel had put in the bed.  So with roots intact, Earl planted it elsewhere for me.  Hoping it flourishes!

sbdriver:
We can't plant anything here till after the long weekend in May lol. Never fails when people plant their flowers cause it's so hot out we get snow  :o As tempting as it is I always wait. I say that as our temps here this week have been as high as 27 which is hot trust me lol

shedrinkzcoffee:
I have some seeds sprouting in the garden.  About 7 of the corn seeds have started, a zucchini is up, I think a watermelon plant is poking through, I see lots of carrots starting, a few tomato plants are coming up and a couple pea plants.  Right now its hard to tell what is a plant and what may be a weed since I started all the seeds in the ground, LOL.  It should become more clear soon.   Everything is in rows but with the rain and some watering, I wonder if some of the seeds shifted and its hard to tell whats what when they are just poking up so thats why I am waiting to pull anything.  This is my experimental year so we'll see what happens this year and go from there for next year.

I do have the Meyer lemon seeds that have sprouted so I am going to get them in pots soon.  I have 5 or 6 seeds that I will plant.  If they all come up and do well, I will plant a couple and give a couple to my inlaws and a couple to friends.

Today, I bought a couple tomatillo plants at Home Depot and put them in the ground. We got a thornless raspberry bush and I'm deciding where to put it.  Not sure if I should plant it or put it in a large pot.  It will get to be about 3x3. 

My blueberry bush has quite a few berries on it.  Its a VERY small plant but there is a good amount on it and I am hoping that it grows more now that its in the ground and as room to expand.

Cheryl:
If the rain holds off we will be planting some today.  We have tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, and peppers ready to go in the ground.  We will plant the pole beans, peas, and okra too.

I've got cabbage, 3 varieties of lettuce, onions, and garlic planted.  Last fall we planted cabbage, broccoli, and collards.  They did great all winter.  The broccoli kept producing after I cut it and we were able to get quite a bit more from it.  My cabbages made smaller heads after being cut, so we got 2 crops of those.  The collards lasted all winter.  We finally mowed them down because they were beginning to bolt.

We've added 2 plum trees, gooseberry, a goji berry, and more raspberries to the fruits we already have.  I need another cherry tree but am having trouble finding one.  My peach trees are loaded with little peaches and my strawberries are coming along.  The thornless blackberries are spreading.  I have a grape vine that is doing well and have 2 different muscadines.  I'm hoping to get a lot of blueberries this year too.

Herbs - I replaced my sage that I had for a long time.  I have a few chives, but they're not looking so great.  I've bought basil, oregano, parsley, and dill.  I also grow lemon balm, lemon thyme, mint, catnip, yarrow, and tansy. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version