Author Topic: September 6, 2013 Challenge  (Read 3428 times)

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
September 6, 2013 Challenge
« on: September 06, 2013, 12:53:50 AM »
My challenge for myself today is to find 5 items in my home that I no longer find useful and take them to a donation center where they can bless someone else.  Feel free to join me in today's challenge or come up with one of your own.
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Cheryl

Re: September 6, 2013 Challenge
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 07:41:27 AM »
Today I'd like to unload all the items I have gathered for donation and have stashed in my car.  Every time I go to town I mean to do this but haven't yet. ;D  I will also see if I can find more unwanted items to donate.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Trudy in TN

• Loving Home
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:43:55 AM »
I think I can find 5 items that I no longer need and donate them.  It would be a blessing if I did this every week until the end of the year.  Dh would sure be pleased.  :)
Wife of 29 years to David
Mom to Ian (26) and Rachel (24)
Mom in love to Brooke
www.lovinghome-trudy@blogspot.com

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 07:56:15 AM »
Mine isn't exactly a September challenge but when we moved in July we knew already in June that it was going to happen so we did a major purge. We had a family room that we used as the "study". There were four desks in that room with a treadmill, a fireplace, a rocking chair, shelves full of reference books, encyclopedias, printers, etc.

As part of the move we realized the kids were no longer using that room anymore since they all had laptops and were only using the printers to print things.  We sold/gave away all but one of the desks and recycled one old computer.  We took only only one small desk with us and the desktop computers (2).  We went through all the linens and shelves throughout the entire house and purged so much stuff so that the rest could fit in our new-to-us smaller but older home. It was a hard purge but necessary and even kind of cleansing to do this.

I really don't have any more things to purge but I'm not going to buy anything new either. We vowed to one another we would be careful that we don't become attached to possessions like we seemed to be in our country home.  There were so many unnecessary things that were hoarded because we had the space to hoard them!  We even felt like we were irresponsible to God in that we didn't honor Him in the things He gave us.  It really gives us a new mindset as we move forward.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline calicogirl

• Buddy
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 08:13:31 AM »
For the past couple of weeks, I have been sorting through clothing we no longer need, and the grandkids toys/books that are no longer being used. I have several bags ready to donate to our favorite thrift store.

Teresa
Teresa in North AL
Married to Greg
Mom to Brandon,Heather,John,Amy,Melanie,Trey and Joel
Step Mom to Peggy
Nana to Elizabeth,Brianna,Joshua, Raylan and Olivia
Fur-mama to 2 dogs and 2 cats
Feather-mama to 2 parrots and 27 chickens

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 10:11:05 AM »
This challenge is an awesome idea!  I can easily find 5 things here.  The danger is that when I take it to the thrift store I might come home with more!  :o
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:28:03 AM »
I'm sure I can find 5 things as well.  Probably more.  Actually, I have a big box in my bedroom with some items in it already.  Our church has a clothes closet and also accepts household items and opens it up twice a month.

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 11:40:34 AM »
I have been purging and organizing for awhile now.  I keep a box in the pantry that is for Goodwill donations and I have been pretty ruthless with my kitchen cabinets.  I have really tall cabinets and the top 2 shelves are bare!!  I realized that once things made it to the top 2 shelves, I no longer used them mainly because I couldn't reach them and it was a hassle to drag a stool or chair over to climb up on.  I donated all the dishes, doo-dads and junk and haven't missed one thing or regretted it.

Next is our bedroom  :o

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 09:55:51 PM »
So how'd we do?  I did manage to find 5 things for my challenge.  They were: a set of glass pudding cups that we will never use, a set of baby foot rattles, an old decorative bird cage, and 2 painting knives.

Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)