Author Topic: Dyeing clothing  (Read 2042 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Dyeing clothing
« on: May 02, 2016, 08:50:17 AM »
Anyone have experience with this?  Is Rit Dye even still sold in stores?  I have one sort of decent pair of Columbia shorts that I love.  They have a small tear that I can mend, but the brown color has faded in spots, due to sweat while hiking, I believe.  After letting my hair go gray, I've been transitioning my clothes as I get anything new to mostly a palette that matches gray, with a few black items (not a fan of black usually, due to cat hair in my household).  However, I think black would be good for these shorts possibly.  And then they'd go with a lot and hopefully last at least a few more months.  Any input, suggestions?

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Re: Dyeing clothing
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 11:18:32 AM »
I dyed some sheets last summer. I'm not so sure about what's going to happen with them. I followed the instructions exactly and I never could get them rinsed enough to be clear water. It was a sky blue but I dried them and put them in the linen closet and now I don't dare use them in case it bleeds onto the mattress pad or onto the person sleeping in them! I might just toss them.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline allison5273

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:28:05 AM »
I have used RIT in the past. The one thing I remember is that if the thread of the clothing isn't cotton thread it will not take the dye. I am not sure if that is true about the fabric itself because I have only dyed cotton clothing.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 08:32:43 AM »
I have seen RIT in both the grocery store and Target or Walmart.  I have never dyed clothing, but, at the worst it doesn't work.  You won't be any worse off than you are now.

Denise