Author Topic: Chicken prices  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Cheryl

Chicken prices
« on: May 17, 2016, 06:48:01 PM »
If you had a choice between boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.99/lb or bone-in breasts for 99˘/lb which would you choose?

I like the convenience of the boneless, skinless, but I like the price of the bone-in.  I always wonder what's the best deal. 
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Proudmama

Re: Chicken prices
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 04:12:16 AM »
I am never good at figuring out this type of thing.  When you buy bone-in breasts, you are paying for the bone and I know that figures in the calculations.  Of course, you can use it to make chicken stock so you don't completely waste your money.  I hope someone else knows the answer because I am curious now, too.

Denise

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 04:21:04 AM »
I googled it and found some really complicated. Answers.  😄😄 I forgot about the skin and additional fat on the bone-in chicken which contributes to the cost and is most likely waste.  One site used this calculation to determine which was cheaper.

Multiply the lbs. of your boneless skinless package by .58. Then divide the purchase price of the package by your first answer. This is the price you’ll pay per cooked lb. Divide the lbs. of your split chicken breast package by 2. Then divide the purchase price of the package by your first answer. This is the price you’ll pay per cooked lb. Multiply the lbs. of the whole chicken by .38. Then divide the purchase price of the package by your first answer. This is the price you’ll pay per cooked lb.

I hope this helps.  Personally, I would buy whichever one you know you will definitely use.  If the bone-in ones are only cheaper if you make stock and you don't, they are no longer the better buy.

Denise

Offline allison5273

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 05:15:43 AM »
My husband is a chef and he always said you could figure about 30% waste on bones. So if you paid for 3lbs you would only have about  2 lbs of meat. So using the same calculation. 3# of bone in equals 2# of meat and brings the price up to about 1.50 per # of meat, Still less than $1.99 but not half the price. Hope this helps.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 06:03:26 AM »
Thanks ladies.

It's all so confusing.   ???
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Cathie

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 12:23:06 PM »
I tend to go boneless skinless, my preference though is boneless skinless chicken thighs.
I like the flavour of that one.

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 06:04:51 AM »
We like dark meat most of the time. We also don't mind the skin and bones because I think it cooks up moister than boneless, skinless breast meat. I do buy the cheapest price always. My local store had boneless skinless breast meat really cheap so I have a bunch of those for grilling or quick meals. I buy a lot of the quarters for baking and whole chickens are often good prices so we freeze a bunch of those. I haven't seen really good chicken prices lately though and I am totally out of chicken (except for the boneless, skinless breast).

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats