Author Topic: Monday, June 6, 2016  (Read 1072 times)

Offline wrancher

Monday, June 6, 2016
« on: June 06, 2016, 05:57:50 AM »
Good morning

Offline wrancher

Re: Monday, June 6, 2016
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 06:08:54 AM »
Had a nice weekend camping with Ross' family for his moms 75th party.  Now back to reality. Thought I was gonna need to take my suburban in for a service 4 wheel drive light. But headed out at 5am and now it seems to be out of 4 wheel drive and no service light on. That saves me a day at home thank heavens. This is my last week at home before leaving Sunday to take lane to Omaha for a week of appointments. So lots to get finished around here. I need to make a list... I need to make adjustments to my chicken waterer and figure out a different feeder than the one I put in there. My central air unit needs blowed out with air compressor and I need to do that today as it is to get hot this week like 100 by Thrusday. All my plants need watered and need to get some seeds in ground yet.  This week I will be making things for freezer for when I am gone and for when haying starts.  I am fixing to go out and do a drive around cattle and hay ground and check on the crops.  I haven't even started the servants.  Better get going..

Coffee on the run
Janice

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 07:18:56 AM »
Good morning!

Went with the first-posted (by time) thread since there were two.

Supposed to be a hike day for me, but am just not feeling it so am staying home.  Our church's VBS starts tonight so a quiet day prior sounds pleasant.  Wait, who am I kidding?  My four youngest are home so it won't be quiet, lol.  Maddy is in her second week at her camp volunteer job (out of 8).  She would normally be home weekends but stayed to work the weekend as they were short-staffed.  She does her own laundry anyway, of course, being 15, but just did it there so she'd have enough clothes without coming home.

Got the bottle kittens fed.  We are on our 5th litter for the Humane Society, third that had to be bottle fed.  Clara, a mama cat with only two surviving kittens, does feed them some, but they lose weight whenever we try just getting by with that, so we're supplementing at least 4-5 feedings each day which seems to work well.  We had actually gone to the shelter to get TWO kittens we were notified about, just 4-5 days old, but when we got there, two more had been dumped over the lunch break so we brought all four home.  So "Clara's" litter consists of her own two, and four others from two separate litters.  I've wondered what she thought when she suddenly had 6 kittens instead of 2.  According to our vet and our own observation, she only has four functioning nipples so she divides them into groups to feed them.  She'll put two or three up on Morgan's bed and feed them.

Some of you are on fb and know about my recent trip to Virginia, but for those who aren't, I spent 9 days in Virginia with my parents and got home last Monday.  My dad and I hiked parts of the Appalachian Trail and my mom was our "hike support person" (dropping us off at one point and picking us up somewhere else later that day, doing laundry--stinky hiking clothes and socks, etc....).  The hiking was amazing...such beautiful country!  I also toured Monticello, including the amazing gardens, with a friend who now lives in Williamsburg but drove over to meet me.  Such fun times.  I have a good life and don't mean this as a complaint, but the reality is we have a large family and modest income, so "real" vacations are a rarity for now and this was a real treat.

Well, I should get moving on the day.  Need to find some breakfast.  Wanted cranberry orange scones but no one else was interested so I decided not to bake them.  I hope to work on some fall garden planning and should have a Baker Creek order of seeds arriving soon, possibly today.

Janice, your camping trip sounds like fun!

Have a wonderful day!
Catherine

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 08:02:27 AM »
Good Morning Ladies!

Glad to see you this morning.  We had a busy weekend, and it will be good to get back on a "regular" schedule. 

Today I have a low key day for the most part.  I need to run out to the mall to get a gift card from Charming Charlie to send to our son's girlfriend for her birthday.  Maybe I will find a few goodies for myself while I am there as well!  ;)

I was going to get out this morning for a walk, but now it looks like it could rain.  Maybe I will just do my walking at the mall before I shop.  I have set a goal of 100 miles for June.  I am at 20 miles so far, so I feel pretty good about that. 

Catherine: your hike sounds amazing!  Hiking part of the Appalachian Trail is on my bucket list.  How were the trails?  Just wondering if it is a challenging hike, or pretty well traveled and marked.

Other than my mall run, I don't have much to get done.  I kept up on most chores over the weekend, so I am in pretty good shape.  Hubby is out of town for meetings today, so I am on my own for dinner.  Probably cereal or yogurt with fruit will be fine for me!

Have a good day ladies!
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 08:06:21 AM »
Looks like Janice and I posted about the same time so there are two Mondays out there. I don't know how to combine them so we overlapped and maybe some can combine them.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 08:19:36 AM »
Pam, the trails were VERY well-marked.  Amazing!  I am used to here where we hike off-trail a lot but even the trails we have are sometimes not marked or minimally marked due to being in "wilderness" designated land (super strict rules on wilderness areas).  There are lots of fairly steep inclines but it's not hard if you're in decent shape.  The only truly hard part we did was Dragon's Tooth, which had some climbing up pretty steep rocky areas.  We went from Skymeadow State park in VA to where it connects the AT and then into Ashby Gap.  This was the first day we hiked, a Sunday afternoon after church, all in pouring rain, but only about 4.5 miles.  Next day, we did from Gathland State Park in Maryland (AT runs through it) to Harper's Ferry, W. Virginia, a little over 10 miles.  Wide trail for the first five miles, but it was deep mud thanks to all the rain...probably great in drier weather.  The last three miles of this are on the old C and O Canal Towpath...neat history.  Following day, we went from Rattlesnake Point in Shenandoah National Park almost to Compton Gap (cut it a bit short due to my dad having blisters that were bothering him), estimated 9.3 miles.  Wednesday, we drove south 200 miles plus stopped at Monticello.  Thursday, we did the Dragon's Tooth section, a little over 8 miles but challenging.  After that, on Friday and Sunday, we hiked shorter distances in Jefferson National Forest and Prince William Forest Park, not part of the AT.

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 01:56:04 PM »
Holy Wow Catherine!!

That is a lot of hiking!  Thanks for the info.  It will help me prepare iff'n I ever get to experience th AT!

Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25