Author Topic: Hen with prolapse...try to treat or cull?  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Cheryl

Hen with prolapse...try to treat or cull?
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:20:26 AM »
Yesterday while gathering eggs, I noticed blood on the nesting boxes.  One of the hens had a prolapse.  I cleaned her up as best as I could and gently pushed it back into place.  I had to do this twice.  The second time it stayed but she's dripping a bloody liquid.  I put her in a small crate and brought her into the laundry room last night so I could keep an eye on her. 

I fed her earlier this morning and she won't eat.  She's just standing in a corner.  I don't know what to do with her.  I would like to save her if possible but to be honest, she's never been a great layer.  She's more like my daughter's pet.  She's always had a problem with laying soft shelled eggs and I've read that those and prolapse go hand in hand.  I'm afraid that even if I could get her over the immediate problem that this would be something I'm always going to have to watch out for with her.

What would you do? :-\
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Re: Hen with prolapse...try to treat or cull?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 11:10:43 AM »
Sorry to say it, but I would cull her. Doesn't sound like she is doing well anyway. I think once this happens to a hen, it is much more likely to keep happening. It is not easy to raise livestock sometimes. I would think she would be suffering.  :( I wish you the best in this situation.
Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 01:46:56 PM »
I would probably cull too. 

How is your daughter handling it?

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 04:05:20 PM »
I've explained to Emily that Sarah will probably die and she accepts it.  It's hard, but she's been raised around animals and knows that sometimes these things happen. :(

I took the hen out to the coop this morning and she walked out of the cage and stood at the gate looking at the others.  She walked around a little and ate some grass.  The blood has stopped but I can tell she isn't feeling well.  I know what needs to be done but it's hard to do.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn