Author Topic: 2016 Gardening  (Read 9282 times)

Offline Cheryl

Re: 2016 Gardening
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2016, 11:04:50 AM »
I am interested in hearing the results of your lettuce growing experiment.  I would LOVE to be able to grow lettuce in the warmer months.

We planted some lemon cucumbers and so far we've picked a grand total of 2!  I am so disappointed because I love these, but this year they were a flop. 

Last year I was picking green beans on Halloween, and this year we barely have enough to eat.  I think my tomatoes are already slowing down.  I hope to get enough to make some spaghetti sauce and a couple batches of salsa.  I've made fresh salsa with some already, but I need to can some.

We did great with cantaloupe.  We are giving them away and keeping a few for ourselves.  My peppers aren't doing as well as I'd hoped.  I'm already planning my fall garden in my mind.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2016, 02:12:36 PM »
I am interested in hearing the results of your lettuce growing experiment.  I would LOVE to be able to grow lettuce in the warmer months.

We planted some lemon cucumbers and so far we've picked a grand total of 2!  I am so disappointed because I love these, but this year they were a flop. 

Last year I was picking green beans on Halloween, and this year we barely have enough to eat.  I think my tomatoes are already slowing down.  I hope to get enough to make some spaghetti sauce and a couple batches of salsa.  I've made fresh salsa with some already, but I need to can some.

We did great with cantaloupe.  We are giving them away and keeping a few for ourselves.  My peppers aren't doing as well as I'd hoped.  I'm already planning my fall garden in my mind.

Have you ever tried planting bush beans after your hottest weather is through to harvest in Sept/Oct?  An old-timer here at the farmer's market told me that's what he does.  In fact, the last time I canned a substantial amount of beans they were from him, in October.  I am planning to do that this year as well.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2016, 02:24:35 PM »
Several years ago we planted the yellow wax beans.  They seemed to produce a lot.   Have you ever grown pintos?  I think I'd like to try them.

One time I planted yellow squash in September.  We didn't have to worry about those bugs on the plants.  Tomorrow I'm going to plant some peas where we had our squash.  I need to be thinking about what to plant in the space where the cabbage was.  Maybe that's where I'll put more beans.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2016, 05:46:44 PM »
Several years ago we planted the yellow wax beans.  They seemed to produce a lot.   Have you ever grown pintos?  I think I'd like to try them.

One time I planted yellow squash in September.  We didn't have to worry about those bugs on the plants.  Tomorrow I'm going to plant some peas where we had our squash.  I need to be thinking about what to plant in the space where the cabbage was.  Maybe that's where I'll put more beans.

No, haven't tried pintos yet.  Our space is just so limited.   :/