Author Topic: Roku questions  (Read 2567 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Roku questions
« on: August 12, 2016, 02:30:23 PM »
We recently got our Uverse triple bundle bill and apparently our "special" has ended and now we pay the high price. The biggest price increase of the three (phone, internet, tv) was the tv and that is one we use the least. I watch probably 6 channels and not very often.

So we bought a Roku but now I can't seem to get any local channels for news and weather. We got the antennae so we could switch to "TV" and then it finds the local channels. Is that how it is supposed to work? It is quite spotty with interference and the antennae is right by the window.

I would like some suggestions on whether we're setting this up correctly. I can't even get news close to my hometown.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

shedrinkzcoffee

Re: Roku questions
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 03:16:06 PM »
The Roku has nothing to do with your local channels. 

Do you have an indoor or outdoor antenna attached to the TV?

Offline Alice

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 03:18:32 PM »
we bought an indoor tv antennae but the tv shows interference. I will try later since we are having a stormy afternoon and that I'm sure will cause interference.

SAlice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 03:23:13 PM »
we had indoor antennas on the TV's before and they needed to have a signal booster added to them to get a good signal.  They are not expensive to get.

We not have an outdoor antenna that works beautifully.  We got it for $20 on Amazon and hooked it in through the wiring that was used for the satellite that the previous home owners had.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 08:25:14 AM »
We have a Roku and an antenna as well.  While our antenna is an outdoor one, Doug hooked it up in our attic because it was too close to our electrical lines outside.

Our only issue is that our local Fox station is in one direction and all of the other channels are in another.  Since football is on Fox, this is not ok with Doug.  He is going to spend a lot of time going up and down the ladder to our attic soon.  Keep in mind that our attic has no flooring, only joists, about 50 feet deep of insulation and is about a thousand degrees.  Seriously - if we need insulation somewhere, Doug just grabs some from the attic!  He is currently researching other ideas to solve the antenna problem.

As far as the Roku, as Erica said, you do not use it to get local channels.  We have Netflix, Sling TV and Hulu.  We probably use Sling the most as you can watch HGTV and The Food Network on it.

Denise

Offline Alice

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 08:47:55 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input.

We tried the Roku and we decided that really is something to use if you are looking to watch something special. I was looking for something to flip through channels and then stop when something interested me. Kind of like flipping through channels on a regular tv. We returned it since we aren't really interested in watching a lot of movies. Hubby bought and installed a roof antenna and we get most local tv channels and that is really all we need. We were hoping to find some kind of digital recording device but they are too expensive so we'll just settle with local network channels. We watch so little tv that dish or uverse bundle just doesn't do much for us.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats