Author Topic: Fall gardens  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Cheryl

Fall gardens
« on: August 17, 2016, 04:19:47 PM »
This summer was brutal on our garden.  We have been weeks without any measurable amount of rainfall, and even with us watering we still haven't been able to make much of a difference.  I'm now thinking ahead to fall gardening.

We have October beans planted.  They are just beginning to bloom.  I hope they make it.  I know we're going to plant turnips, broccoli, cabbage, and lettuce when the worst of the heat is over.  I'm not sure what else, maybe some chard and collards.  I'm going to start some squash seeds soon.  We seem to have good luck with them if we plant them in September.  The bugs don't bother them as much then.

If you are planting a fall garden I'd like to hear what you plan on growing.  I know I'm probably forgetting a few things and could use some ideas.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Fall gardens
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 06:16:46 PM »
I've got cabbage (purple and green), broccoli, Romanesco, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, and a couple types of lettuce started in flats from about 4 weeks ago.  Need to get another flat started ASAP.  I planted some winter squashes, Chinese noodle beans, burgundy okra, and more summer squash about a month ago as well, outdoors in a new bed.  That bed also has loads of chard coming up in it where my old plants reseeded themselves.  I planted out more bush beans a little over a week ago, and they're up.  We're in the same boat with lack of rain--nothing much since early June.  :/  I water some, mostly where I have stuff newly planted, but only once or twice a week.

Still to plant:

More lettuces
beets
onions (from sets I bought on clearance)
spinach
kale
cherry tomato plants grown from rooted cuttings--saw this on a blog and they are rooting nicely--won't last all winter but should produce till late fall here
maybe mustard greens
leeks
carrots
radishes

Offline Cheryl

Re: Fall gardens
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 07:01:23 PM »
I knew I was forgetting some things! Seeing your list reminded me that I'm planting radishes, spinach, and carrots in addition to the vegetables I mentioned in my first post.  I'd like to add more garlic too.

We cut the suckers off tomato plants and root them in a cup of water.  They're big enough to set out in no time.

Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn