The Kitchen Table Visiting Corner > Anything Goes!

DVDs, movies, etc.

(1/3) > >>

Alice:
It's done. We have officially cuth the cord on the tv and put up an antenna that only gets local network.  We didn't keep the Roku and have our DVD player and a laptop to hookup movies on youtube or something similar. Those are our only choices.

So, here's the question...I need a list of good movies to watch as we enter into fall/winter/spring. Make me a good list but nothing like a series, I don't think (unless they're really good). I would even have the option of Netflix (my kids say they have an account). I have a lot of DVDs that I don't mind watching either. We watched Evan Almighty last week when the kids were still home and they even settled in to watch and there was a lot of laughter. I have the Waltons on DVD and I watch those all the time also. Same with Gilligan's Island, Brady Bunch and a few other classics. I may even scour the $5 bin at Meijer.

When the kids were little, I made a big deal out of Friday Night Fun where I would pick a movie and it would be a big secret then make something yummy to eat and know one would know until it was showtime. I might still do that for hubby since we both like a little suspense in our life.

Losing Uverse is like losing a friend, flipping through channels day and night, but I have to find other, cheaper ways for entertainment. I'd love to hear your ideas!

Alice

greyhoundgirl:
We have Netflix and Amazon Prime and I pay for Passport on OETA (our PBS station) which allows us to watch shows online that aren't available yet on pbs.org.

Shows we have enjoyed on Netflix (we are bigtime BBC fans) are:  Broadchurch, Wallander, Rosemary and Thyme, The Bletchley Circle, Longmire, Hinterland, The Paradise, Land Girls, Midsomer Murders, Call the Midwife, Foyle's War.

PBS shows we like that can be watched online after they air:  Poldark, Home Fires, The Great British Baking Show, The Tunnel.

Currently watching Inspector Lewis on Amazon Prime.

Rooney:
Alice, if you are one who really enjoys the Little House on the Prairie, you might enjoy a series called Emily of New Moon because it is very, very similar.  I really enjoyed it, especially the later seasons, but it is best if you watch it from season 1 on.  Not sure where you could find it other than Amazon and I think the complete series on dvd is on sale for a little over $20 or so. You can probably get it on Amazon Instant Video as well, not sure of price. 

We have been watching lots of stuff on youtube since getting rid of Netflix (though I will be renewing that in November just to be able to see the reunion show of Gilmore Girls-yep I love Gilmore Girls that much!lol) 

Over the last months we have watched (on Amazon Video) Alaska the Last Frontier (super good if you like this type thing), Mountain Men (love this!) and The Edge of Alaska (pretty good too).

Movies- don't watch many of these, but hey, It's gettin' close to time for Christmas movies again.  Did I just say that?!

RenKnitter:
You might try your local library. I get lots of things there from public TV and British drama.  Right now I am watching the Poldark series from the 1970's Masterpiece Theater, but they have lots of TV series.  I can request things from their online catalog, also.  People are always saying that they did not know they had all of the Poirot, Miss Marple, NOVA, Little House, Downton Abbey, etc. when I mention checking things out.

Alice:
You're so right! I never thought of going to the library but when I did, I saw row upon row of DVDs! That is a good place for me to start since the library is only a mile away from my house!

Alice

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version