Author Topic: DVDs, movies, etc.  (Read 4154 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
DVDs, movies, etc.
« on: September 01, 2016, 11:37:25 AM »
It's done. We have officially cuth the cord on the tv and put up an antenna that only gets local network.  We didn't keep the Roku and have our DVD player and a laptop to hookup movies on youtube or something similar. Those are our only choices.

So, here's the question...I need a list of good movies to watch as we enter into fall/winter/spring. Make me a good list but nothing like a series, I don't think (unless they're really good). I would even have the option of Netflix (my kids say they have an account). I have a lot of DVDs that I don't mind watching either. We watched Evan Almighty last week when the kids were still home and they even settled in to watch and there was a lot of laughter. I have the Waltons on DVD and I watch those all the time also. Same with Gilligan's Island, Brady Bunch and a few other classics. I may even scour the $5 bin at Meijer.

When the kids were little, I made a big deal out of Friday Night Fun where I would pick a movie and it would be a big secret then make something yummy to eat and know one would know until it was showtime. I might still do that for hubby since we both like a little suspense in our life.

Losing Uverse is like losing a friend, flipping through channels day and night, but I have to find other, cheaper ways for entertainment. I'd love to hear your ideas!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: DVDs, movies, etc.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 08:27:30 AM »
We have Netflix and Amazon Prime and I pay for Passport on OETA (our PBS station) which allows us to watch shows online that aren't available yet on pbs.org.

Shows we have enjoyed on Netflix (we are bigtime BBC fans) are:  Broadchurch, Wallander, Rosemary and Thyme, The Bletchley Circle, Longmire, Hinterland, The Paradise, Land Girls, Midsomer Murders, Call the Midwife, Foyle's War.

PBS shows we like that can be watched online after they air:  Poldark, Home Fires, The Great British Baking Show, The Tunnel.

Currently watching Inspector Lewis on Amazon Prime.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 01:54:34 PM »
Alice, if you are one who really enjoys the Little House on the Prairie, you might enjoy a series called Emily of New Moon because it is very, very similar.  I really enjoyed it, especially the later seasons, but it is best if you watch it from season 1 on.  Not sure where you could find it other than Amazon and I think the complete series on dvd is on sale for a little over $20 or so. You can probably get it on Amazon Instant Video as well, not sure of price. 

We have been watching lots of stuff on youtube since getting rid of Netflix (though I will be renewing that in November just to be able to see the reunion show of Gilmore Girls-yep I love Gilmore Girls that much!lol) 

Over the last months we have watched (on Amazon Video) Alaska the Last Frontier (super good if you like this type thing), Mountain Men (love this!) and The Edge of Alaska (pretty good too).

Movies- don't watch many of these, but hey, It's gettin' close to time for Christmas movies again.  Did I just say that?!

Offline RenKnitter

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 07:14:32 AM »
You might try your local library. I get lots of things there from public TV and British drama.  Right now I am watching the Poldark series from the 1970's Masterpiece Theater, but they have lots of TV series.  I can request things from their online catalog, also.  People are always saying that they did not know they had all of the Poirot, Miss Marple, NOVA, Little House, Downton Abbey, etc. when I mention checking things out.

Offline Alice

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 07:19:10 AM »
You're so right! I never thought of going to the library but when I did, I saw row upon row of DVDs! That is a good place for me to start since the library is only a mile away from my house!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 09:52:50 AM »
I would second much of what's already been written!

Gilmore Girls & Little House on the Prairie being all-time favorites, I also enjoy(ed):

Call the Midwife
Downton Abbey
Good Eats
various shows and videos on YouTube (with beauty and lifestyle channels and BBC weight-loss documentaries being my current faves)

Mandy :)
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline wrancher

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 05:57:58 AM »
We used to watch any of the shows we wanted online. Like abc.com , history channel, etc. You could always run a hdmi cable to tv from computer but we just watched on laptop.

Then once we got into a series you could go back and see any episode you wanted. ususally

Janice

Offline Alice

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 07:20:32 AM »
It took this long but we found the answer to watching tv, finally!

Since we cut the cord to Uverse Tv in August, I'm the one who got the bad end of the deal because I would love watching cooking channels and HGTV. I still miss that but PBS often has a cooking show here and there. We also found "greed" or "snapped" on one of the channel 15 channels. Then we borrowed a DVD from the library and it was a disaster. It was so full of scratches that it kept F***R***E***E***Z***I***N***G on us and it was unwatchable. Our oldest daughter, who now lives in Honduras, was chatting with us on Saturday night and she said "I have a netflix account and I can add you as a user". She told us how to login and we were shocked to see all the movies there for viewing. She said it is worth the monthly fee which she pays anyway because she uses kids videos in the classroom for special things or lunch times and her own viewing pleasure. She promised there was nothing wrong sharing this with us. We couldn't find the movie we were trying to view that we got at the library but found another one that we wanted to see. No scratches and no freezing! I'm not sure how it works but do they rotate movies in and out? How long does it take a "new" movie to make it to Netflix? We really like it.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Rooney

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 07:54:43 AM »
Alice, we have only been using Netflix for a year and a half or so and like it as well.  Your daughter probably just added a device on her monthly plan (I think it is like a dollar or two extra per device on her monthly bill) so as long as she pays for her device and your tv at home, you should be good. ;)

We use it mostly for the kids side of it, but yeah they do have a lot to choose from.  Seems to me they constantly rotate a little bit, because there always seems to be new stuff showing up and older stuff disappearing.  I think it might also have a lot to do with what is being viewed most, by how long they keep it.  Right now the kids are liking Sophia the First and they will be disappointed when that disappears.  Watched Hotel Transylvania 2 with them the other day.  That is one of those cartoon shows that is so funny that adults like it as well as the kids. :)

As for brand "new" stuff... umm, I don't know because I really don't keep up with new releases like I used to.

Personally, I am seriously waiting for November 25th when the four part Gilmore Girls Reunion movies are airing.  Matter of fact, I would have renewed Netflix, just to see that! :)

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 05:41:24 PM »
We have had Netflix since we got our first Roku box in 2008 and we still absolutely love it!

They rotate a lot in and out but most things are there for quite a long time.  Sometimes movies that are pretty new are on there.  I know that new movies like Minions (2015), Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015), Zootopia (2016), and London Has Fallen (2016) are available now.  It really just depends on who they have contracts with on how soon they can put them up.

Television shows are great too and they are only about a season behind so you can stay pretty up to date.

Hope you continue to enjoy it.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 12:38:06 PM »
We love Netflix!  I've had it since it was just DVDs through the mail (boy was THAT tedious!).  I'm also looking forward to the Gilmore Girls reboot later this month.  I'm even participating in a themed mystery knit-a-long for it!

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Rooney

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 01:05:06 PM »
We love Netflix!  I've had it since it was just DVDs through the mail (boy was THAT tedious!).  I'm also looking forward to the Gilmore Girls reboot later this month.  I'm even participating in a themed mystery knit-a-long for it!

Mandy

I looked this up and saw it was an etsy thing.  Being nosy here --what is the mystery part of it?  Is it making one the characters articles of clothing or what?  I always LOVED Loralei's winter snow hats --wondering what it would be for Sookie?  Would love to hear more about how this works and what you are making. :)

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 01:50:43 PM »
So you can buy the kit, which includes the pattern* and yarn, or just the pattern (and use your own yarn).

*The mystery part is that while you purchase the 'pattern' up front, but really, you don't get a pattern until day 1. Then, each day (week, month, however long the particular knit along is specified to last) a new section of the pattern is sent to you.  So, you have the yarn, and you have an idea of the end result, but you basically just knit along as the pieces of pattern are sent to you, without knowing what the end product will be.  I believe that this one will be some sort of cowl or scarf.  Can't wait!

Mandy

Offline Rooney

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 03:00:13 PM »
That is so neat!  Keep us posted on what each one of your patterns ends up being. :)  Maybe a picture?? :)  Would love to be about to knit.