Author Topic: October Food Frugal Accomplishments  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
October Food Frugal Accomplishments
« on: October 04, 2016, 07:28:07 AM »
This is going to be a challenge for the rest of year and into next year.

First, I've gained some tummy fat and I don't know what that is all about. My wasteline just seemed to explode this summer. Food related? I'm not sure. I've heard people say to eat only organic to control belly fat.  Not happening in my household because I have to count on what my budget allows.

Second, the family dynamics have changed and kids are gone most of the year and only come home in the summer and often there not even there to eat.

So, the challenge is to work through the freezer trying to create healthy and nutritious meals. Of course, I will need to buy fresh things like yogurt, milk, eggs, fresh veggies but most should come from the freezer or pantry. This should help reduce my spending and I'll be careful what I eat.  We've always been creative with meals so this isn't really new.  But I'm still on the "large family" mindset always buying in bulk, having a good selection in the freezer (meats, etc.) and in the pantry. But that just isn't necessary anymore. Bulk doesn't help me anymore. We also rarely bought packaged meals or frozen packaged meals so I don't have any of those. It is more like whole chickens, chicken pieces, pork roasts, pork steaks, frozen cabbage, frozen green beans, frozen carrots, frozen beets, frozen pickles, bags of flour, homemade jams, homemade eggrolls, frozen homemade breakfast burritos, and other things that help in making our meals.

I'll be working through it all making things like pork stir fry, chicken potpies, roasted chicken with mashed potatoes, homemade pizza, homemade bread, and so on. It will take me all of the entire next year or more to work through it since I'll cook for only the two of us and maybe kids on the weekend. We also have MIL over every Sunday and so we could have 5 of us on Sundays.

This should be fun and I'm looking forward to this already.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Cheryl

Re: October Food Frugal Accomplishments
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 08:06:32 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing the meals you create.  It sounds like our freezers have about the same things in them.  Most everything I cook is from ingredients in my freezer and/or pantry.  Convenience items are rare around here.  For financial reasons, I'll be using a lot of freezer items this month and not stocking it.  I have plenty in there, but getting creative with what's on hand is a challenge to me.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Re: October Food Frugal Accomplishments
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 08:27:37 AM »
Tonight will be leftover beef roast and turmeric rice but the beef will be chopped up and sauteed in a skillet with taco seasoning. I'll mix the rice and serve it on corn tortillas for a tostado. Fresh homemade applesauce and pickled beets.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats