Author Topic: Instant Pot recipes  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Instant Pot recipes
« on: October 15, 2016, 01:35:13 PM »
I was hoping we could start Instant Pot recipes.  I broke down and bought one and now I would love some tried and true recipes. I did buy a recipe book but I think there is more recipes from people who have tried recipes. I have done chicken thighs and today I'm doing pork with peppers and onions.

How about soups and casserole type foods. Would love to have a few of those. Seasonings and sauces for the meats and how you incorporate them would be good. 

I'm trying to teach my husband how easy it is to use so I hope he will start to use it too.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

shedrinkzcoffee

Re: Instant Pot recipes
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 05:05:36 PM »
Which book did you get?

I can post some links to my favorite recipes if that works for you.

Offline Alice

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 07:19:04 PM »
I got The Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Laurel Randolph. I just wanted a book to give me hints on amounts of food, good seasoning, what can be cooked together, how long things should cook, what can and what cannot be cooked and how to make foods we like but now changed up for use in the pressure cooker.

My husband really like the pork we had tonight. He used a piece of pork this week in the skillet but it came out really hard and difficult to chew so he was very happy with how tender this came out. It was the same piece of pork that he cut a chunk off from earlier this week by the way.

The cooker is very quiet, cooks quickly and cleans up so well.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 10:34:04 PM »

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 07:46:26 AM »
I too have the Great Food Fast book by Bob Warden and like it.

It has a lot of great information.

Thanks for those links Erica. I had seen one of those, but the other two were new to me.

Hope you can find some recipes that work for you Alice.  I think that the more you use your pressure cooker, the more you will feel comfortable with it.

Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline Alice

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 07:56:21 AM »
I am getting the feel for it. I have forced myself to try something every day. I did hard boiled eggs yesterday and that turned out very well.  I'm going to do a lentil soup or a lentil chicken soup tonight.

What I really like is how quiet this is. It does it's thing and you don't even know it's working away.

Quick question--to use the slow cooker function, do I need the separate lid instead of the locking lid? I also want to use the timer function since I am at work all day. Is it really safe to not be home while it works? I was thinking of getting groceries sometime while it does it's thing.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 05:30:53 PM »
I am getting the feel for it. I have forced myself to try something every day. I did hard boiled eggs yesterday and that turned out very well.  I'm going to do a lentil soup or a lentil chicken soup tonight.

What I really like is how quiet this is. It does it's thing and you don't even know it's working away.

Quick question--to use the slow cooker function, do I need the separate lid instead of the locking lid? I also want to use the timer function since I am at work all day. Is it really safe to not be home while it works? I was thinking of getting groceries sometime while it does it's thing.

Alice

If you have a glass lid that fits, you can use it while its slow cooking just use the lid but maybe don't turn it closed.  It doesn't come up to pressure but I have heard that some people don't like the slow cooker function on it.  Doesn't cooks as well as a ceramic crock pot.

I leave when its on and its fine :)

Offline Alice

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 07:07:29 AM »
I made a chicken/lentil soup last night and hubby commented on how good it was. He has made it himself on the stovetop before and commented on how long it took to cook.  I told him my recipe last night was 30 minutes not including the time to come up to pressure and I used the "soup" setting. The chicken was frozen but I zapped in the microwave for a couple of minutes and then just threw everything and it 30 minutes we had an awesome lentil stew/soup. It was a chicken/lentil recipe from Skinnytaste. 

I am getting to like this pressure cooker a lot. I'm not one to use recipe books a lot so my biggest thing is getting the timing right on things. I want to do baked potatoes so I will need a guide as to how long and what setting. That will be my biggest need right now.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 08:50:44 AM »
Here is an option for baked potatoes in the pressure cooker.

http://healthyfamilycookin.blogspot.com/2011/03/pressure-cooked-baked-potatoes.html

Hope you keep having great success!
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline Alice

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 09:45:04 AM »
Here's my update from this past week using my instant pot.  I have used it every single day because I love it.

A few things to know is that there is a pattern and that is always use a minimum of 1 cup water/liquid. You don't always need a recipe. Yogurt is excellent but online instructions aren't clear so looking at two different sets of instructions makes things clear. Also, yogurt counts UP whereas everything else counts DOWN. The first set of instructions didn't say that but another online recipe did say that. There are a LOT of recipes online so I won't need to purchase another cookbook. I use saute almost every time. I use MANUAL almost every time also.

Hubby and I also talked about the timer function. We weren't really sure if that would be useful since cooking in the IP is so quick already when would I need it set to the timer. I guess I'm not sure about the slow cook function since it seems that everything can easily be done using the pressure in less time than the slow cooker so why slow cook?

I think this cooker has really earned a place in my kitchen even though I was hesitant at first, I'm glad I bought it.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats