Author Topic: Needing encouragement, reading suggestions, etc...  (Read 1805 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Needing encouragement, reading suggestions, etc...
« on: October 03, 2013, 08:30:39 AM »
Trying to keep on top of not wasting anything in the kitchen and feel like I'm failing miserably at times.  When I got one gallon of milk per week, for example, we were always running out, but now that we're getting two (it's half the price of the old place), I'm always struggling to get it used.  This week the chickens got some old milk from two weeks ago because I didn't get it done.  Anyway, that's just one instance.  Planning to make some pudding today and maybe some waffles, but I'm rather limited by lack of eggs (chickens aren't keeping up right now).

I've tried keeping a list of what I need to use up but forget to update it.  :P  Any blogs or methods you'd suggest?  Another aspect of this right now is simply being home to DO what needs done.  It doesn't seem like we have many outside activities (just homeschool co-op and soccer aside from church stuff) but we've had an extra lot of eye appointments and orthodontic visits lately and they really infringe on the day.

TIA for any help.
Catherine

Offline jrejhkids

Re: Needing encouragement, reading suggestions, etc...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 09:32:32 AM »
Catherine,

You can freeze milk.  We froze several gallons the end of May when my husband got laid off.  We are still using it now and it tastes just fine.  We also have a small whiteboard on our fridge.  When we put leftovers in the fridge, we put the date and what was put in the fridge.  That way I can keep track of what we have and then use up the leftovers.

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 09:50:08 AM »
I was going to suggest freezing milk too. We freeze both 1% for adults and whole for the kids.  I pour off about a cup's worth into a jar and freeze the rest of the gallon.  It takes about 1.5 - 2 days in the fridge to thaw.  Tastes the same and haven't had any problems.  I buy 8 gallons at a time so i have to go to the store less.

I need work in the "use it up" category, but one thing I've started doing this past spring and has helped quite a bit is I put all leftovers in the same area of the fridge, so I know to go looking there first.  When veggies and fruits are getting close to being over ripe, I move them to the leftovers spot even though they aren't technically left over.  This has reduced the amount I throw away by quite a bit.

I'd be interested in some blogs or tips too as I could use some improvement myself. 
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 09:58:21 AM »
The raw milk gets clumpy, for lack of a better word, if you freeze and thaw it, since it's not homogenized.  I'm sure it would still be okay in some recipes, though, if I had the freezer space.  I froze some whipping cream a couple weeks ago (we use it in our coffee normally and buy it through Azure by the case to save money) and it did the same thing when I thawed it.

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 10:00:40 AM »
ah, yeah that would pretty gross for drinking. 
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline wrancher

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 11:30:08 AM »
Catherine

It seems like you buy the milk from the farm? I suppose they don't do 1/2 gallons? Otherwise what about French toast, bread pudding, tapioca pudding,..? Sometimes that is what I will make or potato soup or something like a cream based soup?? I will think about this...

Janice

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 12:12:31 PM »
I guess my original post was maybe not very clear.  The milk is just one example but I am looking for more general ideas on how not to let things go to waste in all areas.  Like some way of keeping track?

Thanks for the milk ideas, though...that's why I planned pudding and waffle batter.  :)