Author Topic: Substitute for eggs  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Rooney

Substitute for eggs
« on: October 03, 2013, 11:57:21 AM »
I need to find a substitute for eggs when baking.  Most of us get tummy troubles from them.  Don't want anything with soy either.  I found a few things that suggested using mixtures of other baking ingredients, like yeast, baking soda and oil.  But what do you do if the recipe already has these ingredients in it?  Have one with a birthday Monday and need to bake a cake! ;D

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Substitute for eggs
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 12:13:48 PM »
I have friends who use chia seeds since they're super nutritious:  http://wellnessmama.com/4981/10-uses-for-chia-seeds/

Offline RenKnitter

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 12:15:51 PM »
I read that you can use yogurt in place of eggs - 1/4 cup per egg.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 12:23:15 PM »
I read that you can use yogurt in place of eggs - 1/4 cup per egg.

Really,  it's that easy?  Have you ever tried it?  I've always got yogurt it the house. :)

Offline RenKnitter

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 12:29:10 PM »
I have not tried it, but have seen this tip in multiple places.  I always use soy flour, and that works fine.

I also read that you can use banana, but you will be able to taste it in the finished product.

Offline cmmommie

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 10:25:07 AM »
I have read that you can use the flax "egg" or chia "egg". They say it works but I have not tried it. Also, you will only be able to replace so many eggs I one recipe. I don't remember the amount but after a certain number of eggs replaced it will not come out. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Robin

Offline jrejhkids

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 12:38:03 PM »
I have used this many times in baking when I did not have eggs.  I couldn't tell the difference.

For 1 egg use 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon oil, 1/4 cup liquid (just what you are using in the recipe).

Offline Rooney

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 01:47:36 PM »
I have used this many times in baking when I did not have eggs.  I couldn't tell the difference.

For 1 egg use 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon oil, 1/4 cup liquid (just what you are using in the recipe).

I saw this mixture and wondered if it would work in things that already contain those ingredients since you are just adding a little more of them by using this mixture.  This would be better than the yogurt if it works because all these things are shelf stable and I can keep them in bulk amounts.  I will try this out this weekend on some brownies or something. Thanks for the info.

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 07:43:59 AM »
Have you tried quail eggs?  I have heard that a lot of people who are allergic to chicken eggs are able to eat quail eggs with no problems. If I am not mistaken, I think Deanne (Country Wife) is one of them.  Plus, quail eggs are actually more nutritious than chicken eggs.  Might be worth trying.
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline Rooney

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 08:42:32 PM »
What has actually been working and I think tastes better than the finished product with eggs is applesauce.  1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce per 1 egg.  I actually think cakes and pancakes taste way better this way.

Andrea, I would try quail eggs, but I wouldn't begin to know where to get any around here.