Author Topic: Be Prepared  (Read 5638 times)

Offline wrancher

Be Prepared
« on: October 07, 2013, 08:49:32 AM »
Ok I thought I was more than prepared for a storm but there were things I need to improve on. I think this should be a good wake up call. I want to put things in one area or tote and make sure of batteries, etc. We have a generator so I always felt secure. It wouldn't start. Lots to work on besides taking care of outside things. Make a list and start organizing and checking to make sure things work. I have flashlights but make sure they are working. They may have been when you put them in there but are they now?  Make sure you have water, food, warmth, radio with batteries, flashlights, etc.

Janice

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Re: Be Prepared
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 09:20:24 AM »
Good points, Janice. I will be praying for your area!

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 09:24:35 AM »
Thanks for the reminder Janice.  I have all my camping "stuff" in one tote in the basement; camp stove, extra propane fuel, Coleman lanterns, extra mantles, etc. but I need to get all of that out and go through it and make sure everything is easily accessible.  There's not many things more aggravating than trying to find a flashlight or matches for a candle in the dark.  ;)

We don't normally get huge winter storms or blizzards in my area and because of that, a small storm can immobilize us due to the fact that we never get them.  Make sense? Lol.

I'm getting all of our woodstove stuff out today and rearranging our front porch for all the wood we store there.  I'll add going thru the winter tote to my list too. 

Beth

Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 11:01:51 AM »
This is an area I need to work on.  Thanks for the timely reminder!  I try to keep things organized but I know there are several areas I could improve.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 11:02:19 AM »
I think you can never be too prepared.  Thank you Janice for the reminder.  For me the big thing I need to address is water.  Being on a well, no power means no water, and with 5 of us plus pets and livestock that is very bad.  We maintain a supply of bottled water but I need to store some for the animals  should the need arise, and also for things like being able to flush the toilet.  I save large containers like 2L soda bottles and such.  I also fill the large buckets that we use in the spring to collect sap.  That would see us through for a little while. With two woodstoves we would be okay for cooking and warmth, but we have no way to run our freezers in a power outage.  But a generator is just not in the budget. :(
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline luv2bmom

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 06:51:29 PM »
I'm sorry to read about your area Janice......thank you for the reminders...

I have 3 of these oil lamps hanging around my house, I work them into my wall arrangements!  I love them and all were bought for less than $5 each at Goodwill the past few years! 

https://www.lehmans.com/p-5030-woodshed-wall-lamp.aspx

I also have my oil lamps all ready, but batteries and a new weather band radio I plan on getting soon.  I'm restocking my pantry every week too....
Pixie, wife to Coby
mother to Megan, Amanda
and to our beloved late son Braden
Baboo to Mont, Ada, Brinly and Brielle
mil to Warren and Marcus

Offline Andrea G

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 08:08:46 PM »
Pixie, those lamps are really nice.   :)

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 04:19:41 AM »
Oooh Pixie.  I really like those lamps.  I bet they would do well with those reflector plates behind them. 

I never find things like that at our thrift stores.   :(

Beth
Beth in western NC
MIL to Bo

Offline luv2bmom

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 09:51:25 AM »
Thanks!!  They are really nice, they burn bright too!  I have a set of nickel color in my living room and a bronze one that I have in my kitchen...sometimes I just light them b/c their pretty burning!!!  :)
Pixie, wife to Coby
mother to Megan, Amanda
mil to Warren and Marcus

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 10:52:10 AM »
I would do the same thing Pixie.  There's something relaxing and comforting about watching a flame flicker. 

Beth
Beth in western NC
MIL to Bo

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »
Pixie, I really like those lamps.  I wish I could find something like that in our thrift stores. 
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline wrancher

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 02:09:35 PM »
Pixie I LOVE your lamps. Funny story about that though... The 1st oil lamp we lit when we were without power started on fire under the base. (Not major just scary, and the oil smell was strong in here) After we got it blowed out we ran it out in the snow. The other one I had needed a wick. I had extra wick I had around here forever... Do you think I could find it no!! Test drive those lamps also as someone who just went through this. ugh  Who would think? I thought I was sooo prepared! ugh

Janice

Offline luv2bmom

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 05:19:03 PM »
Oh goodness Janice!  i've never seen a fire start in a lamp!  I have all my oil and spare wicks in my laundry room, although i'm not the best organized person I do have those together!   Have you ever used Ultra Pure lamp oil?  It doesn't smell when the lamps are burning.  I have 8 bottles stored.  About 10 yrs ago we had a horrible ice storm and was w/o power for 8 days....lamp oil was like liquid gold around here!  take care!
Pixie, wife to Coby
mother to Megan, Amanda
mil to Warren and Marcus

Offline wrancher

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 06:11:30 PM »
After I reread my post I think I mislead you. It wasn't really on fire fire but there were flames coming out under the area where the wick is above and under the rim. Does that make since? Not really. Sorry not sure how to explain it. Mine was Lamplight Medalion lamp oil. It was suppose to be for the lamps.  You will have to light yours to see if it has any odor. Mine wasn't strong just wasn't frebreeze. HA I was pioneering though. It was fine. We were in bed by 7 as by then we were tired of squinting at cards. Played card games.

I am sure yours is great. It is always good to have a test run when you can actually get supplies to fix it was all I was saying. I wish I could find lamps like yours especially the price!! There are still people in my area without power. I feel so quilty!!

Offline Andrea G

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 07:49:08 PM »
That's a very good point Janice. I have two oil lamps that I have never lit, and I have had them for a couple of years.  I have never even bought lamp oil.  They sure won't do me much good, will they?  :P