Author Topic: Tuesday, September 5, 2017  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Tuesday, September 5, 2017
« on: September 05, 2017, 05:44:44 AM »
It our anniversary today! 31 years!

But I decided to go to work and not stay home. Nothing to do at home today anyway.

On Thursday, we will have landscapers come in to begin work on the back yard. It's expensive but we are not able to move the lava rock out on our own. It is so deep. I might take the afternoon off on Thurs. and Frid. depending on if they want a homeowner home.

We had a very nice weekend. Saturday we did a lot of cleaning around the house, along with a lot of organizing. Sunday we rested and Monday was slow since we had done most of the work on Saturday. MIL took us our for dinner last night for our anniversary. That was really nice and the food was delicious.

Today is kind of wet outside since it must have rained overnight. But it looks like a nice day today. Not terribly warm though. Only in the high 60s.

I'm making chicken legs and squash/stuffing casserole tonight for dinner. Easy and delicious.

How is your day forming?
Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline pamgonzo

Re: Tuesday, September 5, 2017
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 08:39:05 AM »
Good Morning Alice, and any others who might pop in.

We had a nice weekend.  Pretty laid back as well.  I really don't know what we actually did.  I do know that we watched football/sports all day Saturday.  I was not feeling well, I couldn't figure out why, but Sunday - after a 2 month absence, my monthly decided to return.  I am guessing that is what had me off. 

Sunday we did a few small project around the house.  We made 2 dozen burritos for my college son to take back with him to school yesterday.  I felt like all I did all weekend, was cook, clean up, and load and unload the dishwasher!  I was proud of us for eating at home all weekend though.  It is so easy to just run grab something from somewhere since it is just the two of us.  I also made 2 batches of scotcharoos for son to take too.  I usually make two batches, because we don't really eat rice krispies, and a box is enough to do two.  Otherwise, I would end up throwing the rest of the cereal away. 

Monday we did a local 5 mile bridge walk.  We have done this walk for about the last 6 or 7 years.  They didn't have it last year, but we did it anyway on our own.  This year, they were starting at 10 am instead of 8.  But that was late for us, so we did it at 8.  In the past, even starting at 8, it can be quite warm and humid by the time you finish, so starting at 10 didn't sound like a good idea.  Plus, then you aren't done until noon, and your whole morning is gone, as well as time to get home, etc.  We just decided to go on our own, and there were a couple other groups there doing the same, so we had company!

Saw college son for a few minutes last night.  He is back at school today.  Baseball practice starts today for him as well. 

I will work on laundry today, and I need to clean out the refrigerator.  I think there are a few condiments that we don't really use, and need to go.  It can use a good wiping out as well. 

Hope all of you had a nice weekend, and are off to a good start to your shortened week ahead!
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline Rooney

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 12:01:27 PM »
Hi friends! :)

Sounds like both of you had a good long weekend.

I guess we had an OK one as well.  Just we ended up fixing things and gathering items to fix things all weekend.  Not my idea of fun, but what needed to be done.

Lets see, Saturday morning hubby and older boys went to start re-carpeting an open rental so it can be back up and have tenants again ASAP.  Saturday afternoon we ran errands and got groceries.  Sunday, the kids clogged the shower in their bathroom so badly it required hubby taking it apart (pipe-wise) to drain it and then fix it.  We did work with the horses Sunday evening early as well. 

Monday morning hubby went to get my oven replacement.  Monday afternoon we worked with the horses again.  This time finally making progress.  The horse I am riding is used to being right beside his other "buddies" out in the field all day.  So when I am working with him he thinks he needs to go in their direction.  So I guess his "buddies" will have to start remaining in another field while we ride that one, because yesterday they walked into one of the back fields and I was able to get him to do exactly what I wanted.  Kids are improving with learning to ride as well. 

Let's see....late Monday afternoon I walked up to our neighbors with several of the kids to take them some of the cheap books I had gotten the other day.  While we were up there she pulled up a huge basil plant and some rosemary and gave to me.  Alice, don't you do something with herbs?  What is the best way to dry and put them away for easy use later?  Then last night hubby got the new oven hooked up.

Today is a normal school day and I need to do some straightening.  Still waiting on some of the new curriculum books to show up today and maybe tomorrow so I can get everything labeled with their names and put into their own homeschool plastic drawer thing.  If hubby gets home early enough we may ride horses again in the early evening before dark.  I am thinking after that we might start cleaning out the beds in the greenhouse and getting the start area ready for starts next week. 

That is all for me.

Pam, those scotcharoos sound really good.  May have to look up a recipe for those.

Lindsay

Offline Alice

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 12:18:11 PM »
Hi Lindsay,

Basil and Rosemary are my favorite herbs! The best way is to harvest them them lay them on a cookie sheet (separately, of course) and let them dry. I put them on the top of my cupboard and just forget about them for a long time. When they are dry I take the rosemary off the stems and put them in a jar. When I want to use them I rub them in my palms to break them up and then sprinkle it on whatever food I'm preparing (chicken, baked french fries, etc.). For the basil, once they are dry, I put them in a coffee grinder or a small food processor and process until they are almost powdery. Stop grinding just before they become powder. Put in a jar and use how you would use basil in a recipe. One sniff of either one of those is amazing compared to anything purchased in a store. It is so fresh! Hubby wants to put an open jar of rosemary in every room just to smell it all day long!

My rosemary and basil are almost done BUT I moved them to a different location and I'm trying to revive them for another harvest! Wish me luck.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 01:09:35 PM »
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, ALICE!!!!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Alice

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 01:20:07 PM »
Thanks Cheryl!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Rooney

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 02:00:31 PM »
Yes Alice, Happy Anniversary!  31 years! Wow! ;D  One of the kids saw your avatar while I was reading your post and it says you are married to Henry.  They said is she married to Horrid Henry (the cartoon character who is always doing horrible things)/   The characters mom always says, "Henry why are you so horrid?" lol  Well, I guess your Henry is NOT if he's been around for 31 years! ;D

Oh.... and those herbs DO smell great! :)  I just picked the leaves off and laid them on a plate.  I think I may put them in the oven for a couple of hours to dry because I am afraid if I put them somewhere to dry and forget about them, that is exactly what I will do....forget about them. Ha  I tried growing herbs a couple of years ago, but they didn't take.  My neighbor said she has some of her seeds still and will bring me some to try.  Glad I saved all my empty glass pepper bottles.  I will just fill those and label them.  I know very little about herbs.  In fact, I had no idea that rosemary looked like part of a Christmas tree. :)  I think I may give pesto a try for the first time with this basil. 

Offline Alice

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 12:28:43 PM »
Nope! My Henry is not HORRID!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats