Author Topic: Spring Cleaning 2017  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Spring Cleaning 2017
« on: January 30, 2017, 11:29:21 AM »
Does anyone have a head start on this or at least some plans for the 2017 Spring Cleaning?

I have some things floating around in my head already but it's too start to put them into action.

We've been in this house almost 4 years and never really liked the home. It has had it's fair share of issues and we've dealt with them. We have been looking for houses for over a year already and have found nothing that suits us. So, we've decided to stay put for a while. The first year we moved in we had 5 windows replaced so now I guess we should finish getting the rest done.

I want to redo the flower bed in the backyard and I really want a small garden but it is very shady. We didn't use the underground sprinkling system last year but I want that up and running this year. We didn't fertilize the lawn last year thinking we would move so this year it must be done. Just general things. We had put some money into the house so we'll just continue and stay. We'll just make it work.

Maybe in due time, I'll get the carpet replaced. It is a very light color and you see where everyone walks on the main stretches. So maybe a varigated type of carpet so you don't see so much but that's for another time. Other than that there is really nothing big that has to be done. We already vacuumed out the heating and cool air registers so we'll keep up on that. Maybe we can redo our closet for better use. All things to think about.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Rooney

Re: Spring Cleaning 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 11:47:12 AM »
How weird to see this topic on here today because I woke up with really deep cleaning everything on my mind!  Like as in starting on one end of the house today and working my way through (until I lose interest or want to ;))  I am starting in my bedroom and deep cleaning everything.  Even having the older boys move the big, heavy sleigh bed and I can't remember the last time that has been done because it is so difficult to move. I am going to vinegar clean everything that can be and just see how far I get with it. I may take down the curtains and wash them too and I know there will be mopping involved, but that could be a problem because our broom has gone missing since last night (how does that happen?? ???) and I need the broomstick to hook onto the mop head.  Moving all furniture and mopping underneath.

Is there any special way you clean out your vents?

Offline Alice

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 12:00:28 PM »
Interesting that you ask about the vents. We have a little problem with condensation esp. on the windows and ceiling. After about two years of asking, googling, having people come in the solution was easier than we thought. We need to run our furnace fan at all time. The "auto" setting wasn't enough to circulate the air in the house so it is now set to "on" at all times. When the temp. goes below the setting the furnace will kick on and heat to the setting then the fan does it's work by circulating the air. It has done very little to our electric bill and the readings were "actual" and not "estimated". So that means that the cool air return sucks in all the dust, cat hair so we vacuum the registers to keep that clean and the filter in the furnace should catch the rest. The heat vent blows out so that really isn't too bad.

We had a furnace guy come out and we specifically asked if we need to have the ducts cleaned out and his response was that people make too much of a big deal about having that done and it really isn't necessary and it's very expensive. The filter is more important to change regularly and I believe that just by pulling out the old one. So we change ours regularly.  I have taken the cool air register cover off and vacuumed what I can see but I probably won't do a lot of that.

Interesting about having the fan running all the time. It sometimes feels like the AC is running but that is just the air within the house circulating but I also feel like the entire house is a lot warmer because the air is being circulated. It seems fresher to me. My research also says that it is good for allergy's and other breathing issues because it circulates and cleanses the air within the house and then filters it. The condensation has been decreased by about 85% - 90% which really surprised me.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Alice

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 01:33:41 PM »
Checking in with everyone.

We have started the remodel in our downstairs bathroom. We got all the wallpaper off the walls, cleaned the walls, spackled and hubby painted. He put in a new light and mirror. He replaced the drywall above the shower surround and that will be tiled later when the floor gets tiled. We have arranged for a new vent fan and light in the shower, a new toilet and a new spicket on the sink. We have someone coming in to do that. He will also put in the new windows which is the bay window with a window on each side that can open. The dining room windows (2 side by side) and the two kitchen windows which are corner windows. Then he is going to replace the door coming in the house from the garage.

We got hubby a new to us dresser for the bedroom since he and I share the full closet and that isn't enough. We've purchased the fertilizer for the spring, summer, and fall. We're having an electrician come over to figure out why the 220 volt died in the barn leaving us with 110 only. The furnace out there doesn't work so we want that replaced and soon I need to call the underground sprinkling company to arrange for a start-up and make sure that works.

At least we have the plan in place and a few things started, we now just wait for when the builder can come to do some of things only he can do. Kind of exciting even though all I can see are dollar signs!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Rooney

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 12:03:53 PM »
Alice, sounds like you really are getting a lot done!!  I am sure it will be worth it once you are finished!! :)

Offline Alice

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 05:57:23 PM »
All the projects are done! It took two weeks and MANY people working but now it's all done.

It was a bigger project than we imagined. We had the big bay window with two side replaced but the bay was all rotted underneath so that had to be dealt with. The other windows had no big issues. The bathroom is done and it looks wonderful. The furnace out back did not have to be replaced because a couple of wires were only crossed. BUT, we still needed 220volt out there since it burst underground somewhere. And the gas line was not wide enough so it had to be replaced. They hand dug a trench from the garage out back to the house and laid all the new piping and covered it all up and it doesn't even look like anyone dug anything. They did such a good job. Everything is all done and it's still spring. So excited.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats