Author Topic: Storing Drinking Water - use up or rebottle every 6 months  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
Storing Drinking Water - use up or rebottle every 6 months
« on: October 10, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
This is from the Penn State Extension

http://extension.psu.edu/natural-resources/water/drought/water-conservation/how-to-store-water-for-drinking-or-cooking

How can I store drinking water?
Select the option that best suits your family.

Method A
If your water comes from a public water supplier or is disinfected, you can store it in clean soda bottles or milk jugs with screw-on tops. Follow the directions below.

Thoroughly wash plastic soda bottles or milk jugs with warm, soapy water. Use containers with screw-on tops. Sanitize the container by putting one teaspoon of household liquid bleach (5.25 percent sodium hypochlorite) in one gallon of water. Pour this solution in the container and leave it there for two minutes. Pour the sanitizing solution from the container. Rinse the container with potable (suitable for drinking) water.
Fill bottles or jugs directly from the faucet. Cap tightly and label each container with the words “Drinking Water” and the date stored.
Store sealed containers in a dark, dry, and cool place.
If after six months you have not used the stored water, empty it from the containers and repeat steps 1 through 3 above.
Method B
If your current water source is contaminated or you do not wish to prepare your own water for storage, purchase bottled water from a store. Bottled water is available in local discount stores or grocery stores. Many local stores have bottled water in one-gallon containers. This water costs about as much as a large container of carbonated beverage or less.

For Contaminated Water Only:
Water from a contaminated source must be disinfected or purified before use. Two methods of purifying water are discussed below. If the contaminated water contains visible particles, let the particles settle to the bottom first, then strain the water through clean cloths or layers of paper towels before disinfecting. The water cannot be disinfected unless particles are removed by filtration first.

Boiling Method
Boiling is a good way to purify water. Bring the water to a rolling boil for 1 to 3 minutes. After the water has cooled, fill clean containers as outlined in Method A. (Boiled water will taste better if you put oxygen back in it before drinking. To restore the oxygen, pour the water back and forth between two clean containers several times.)

Liquid Bleach Method
Regular household liquid bleach contains a compound (5.25 percent sodium hypochlorite) that will disinfect water. Do not use bleaches that are scented, colorsafe, or have added cleaners.

Use regular liquid bleach containing 5.25 percent hypochlorite. Add 16 drops (about ¼ teaspoon) per gallon of water.

The treated water should be mixed thoroughly and allowed to stand for 30 minutes before use. The water should have a slight bleach odor. If it does not, repeat the dosage and let the water stand for an additional 15 minutes before use. Fill clean containers and store as described in Method A.
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Storing Drinking Water - use up or rebottle every 6 months
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:55:05 PM »
Good info to have, thanks!  Somewhere in my household binder, I have the bleach treatment amount printed out, just in case.  Earl and I were just discussing last night that we don't have nearly enough water stored.

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »
I've never done this myself, so I have no idea... I'm wondering if after sanitizing 1 bottle, can I sanitize more than 1 bottle with the same bleach water solution? or do I need to dump it down the drain and make a new solution for the next bottle?  Anybody know?
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 10:16:55 AM »
Shelley,
I couldn't get this link to post, but if you go to Pleasant Hill Grain Company's site and go under the category of Store and Organize, they sell something called Aerobic Stabilized Oxygen.  You can read about what it does, but I did see that it says it keeps your water for 5 years without rotation.  I am thinking of trying it. ;)