Author Topic: Thursday, December 7, 2017  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Thursday, December 7, 2017
« on: December 07, 2017, 08:45:00 AM »
Good Morning,

It is snowing and has been for most of the night. We woke up to at least 3+inches of snow and it's still snowing. Blah!  Lots and lots of traffic accidents this morning.

Hubby and I went to another Aldi grand opening this morning hoping for THE GOLDEN TICKET but this time received $10 gift cards. We used those right away and checked out at $20.02 so we paid 2 cents for our two bags full of groceries! $20 off is better than nothing. Now I'm off to work for the day.

We had friends over for dinner last night. I made a tater tot casserole, salad, and apple crisp. It was a wonderful time together. They didn't stay late so we got to bed on time. This morning I decided we need a crockpot meal tonight. So it is bourbon chicken. A new recipe that I'm trying so we'll see if I like. Does anyone know if alcohol burns off in a crockpot? I'm struggling with that and really don't know how that will work. I don't want to feed my son an alcohol filled meal for lunch at work. That would be bad.

How is your day taking shape?

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline pamgonzo

Re: Thursday, December 7, 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 09:12:44 AM »
Good Morning (barely) all.

I was so busy yesterday, I didn't even turn my laptop on.  Went to my weight watchers meeting, walked at the mall, and then grabbed lunch.  After that I headed south about an hour. 
I wanted to buy some tickets to a show for a Christmas gift for my son.  It is a show about a hour from here.  I went to buy them on-line, and there was an $11 fee for each ticket.  I was buying 4, so that was $44 more than the face value.  :o Are you kidding me?? I thought, I could just drive down to the box office and still be ahead, so that's what I did.  It's in the same town my hs bestie lives in, so I popped over to visit her for a couple of hours as well.  All good.  Just made for a long day.

We too got snow. Not really excited about it, but we have been pretty lucky so far, so no complaints.

Your dinner sounds good Alice.  This is what I found re: alcohol burn off:
A recipe using a higher percentage of alcohol heated briefly will retain more alcohol than a recipe using a lower percentage of alcohol heated for a long time. For example, crêpes suzette flambéed with Grand Marnier will retain more alcohol than boeuf bourguignon made with red wine that has been cooked for several hours.

A 2003 study by the USDA’s Nutrient Data Laboratory shows that the amount of alcohol retained in food can range from 5 to 85 percent, depending on the preparation method. For baked or simmered dishes with alcohol mixed in, after 2 1/2 hours of cooking time, 5 percent of the original amount of alcohol is left. But when the alcohol is added to a boiling liquid and then removed from the heat, 85 percent of the alcohol remains.

Seems like you should be fine since it is a crockpot recipe. 

Not sure what I am doing for dinner tonight.  Something chickeny I think.  Will grab some out of the freezer, and figure it out later.
We did leftovers for dinner last night, so that was easy.

More gift wrapping today.  Need to gather a few more things together as well.  Just getting it all in one place to make it a little easier and quicker.

Not too much else happening here.  Just more Holiday prep and planning.  An ongoing thing these days!
Would love to hear what you are all up to!
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 11:21:03 AM »
I am here, but I'm afraid I am just a big downer. :(  With my mother being in the hospital for so many days, I am worn out emotionally.  I'm doing good to get the basics done, much less anything extra.  I hope to be back here soon with better news.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:26:58 AM »
Sorry to hear that Cheryl! Wishing things would get better.

Don't worry about us here. We'll keep things alive even if it is just two or three of us.  Mama comes first so keep doing what you're doing. Don't try to do too much because that stuff can wait.  Mama needs you now. Keep strong.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats