Author Topic: Tuesday, January 16  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Cheryl

Tuesday, January 16
« on: January 16, 2018, 06:55:06 AM »
I hope I got the date right! ;D. I've lost track and don't have a calendar handy.

Finally I am having a little time at home.  My mother is still in the hospital, seven weeks today, but she is out of ICU.  I visited with her a little yesterday, but they are calling for snow and ice in the forecast and I didn't want to venture out and get stuck somewhere. 

I don't know what I will do today other than the usual - housework, supervising Emily's school work, etc.  I really need to organize my little kitchen pantry.  Things have been shoved here and there with no order and it's bothering me.  I need to be able to open the door and see at a glance what I have to work with.  We are using this time of slow work for my husband to really make use of the food we have here without buying unless it's a true need.  I am making progress using items from my freezers.  I have about 5 pounds of chicken tenders that are frozen in one huge lump that I want to thaw and cook today.  I think we have a couple of pork tenderloins and maybe a pound of hamburger, and a pound of smoked sausage.  That is it on the meat.  The rest is vegetables and other odds and ends.

I hope to hear from you all today.  Please check in if you get a chance.  Have a good day!  :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline pamgonzo

Re: Tuesday, January 16
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 08:16:29 AM »
Cheryl: for all you have been going through, it is impressive you know what date it is!!  Good idea to stay home.  We in the north think nothing of going out in the weather that you are expecting, but we are used to it, (don't really have the choice), and our communities know how to prepare and deal with it as far as salting and plowing the roads.  I still stay home if given the choice!

My day is full of things I have been putting off.  Laundry, cleaning and organizing a spare bedroom, doing a quick once over with bleach of doorknobs, handles, remotes.  (trying to keep any flu germs at bay)

I need to come up with a soup idea for dinner.  Not sure which direction I will go.  I would love a bean soup, but it's not hub's favorite, and we did do bean soup just a couple of weeks ago.  Maybe potato.  I have a few potatoes that looked like they needed to be used up.  Will have to see what hits me when I take a quick look at Pinterest.

Hope everyone is having a great day.  Stay in if you are experiencing this crazy winter weather if you can.
Would love to hear what you are up to!
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 09:14:00 AM »
Hi Cheryl and Pam,

We're having sausage and lentil soup tonight. I have all the ingredients at home so we will put that in the instant pot when I get home from work. I'm not a big lover of lentils but I'll eat it. I also want to make a loaf of bread tonight so hopefully I'll find the energy to do that as well.

We are once again on a no buying anything due to circumstances that have changed rather quickly. When we are out of something we won't be adding it to the list unless it is necessary. So the coffee is down to about 1/3 left in the bin so when that's gone we will drink instant coffee until that is gone. Or decaff until that is gone. We have a bit of cushion but I can't begin using that now because I don't think these are the circumstances to use it in. We won't starve either since the freezer does have good food in there.

There are also lots of things in the cupboard like spring roll wrappers that I found from when the girls made them this summer. I found a lot of the wrappers last week and made probably 10 of them and made the rest last night. I used seasoned chicken, carrots, cucumber, red pepper, shallot and cilantro and they are so good. I got cottage cheese for .90 for a big tub on Saturday so I'll probably make a lasagna casserole sometime this week. We also got ground beef 85/15 for $1.88 per lb. I'm well on my way to a lasagna casserole using a different type of pasta since I don't have the proper noodles. We had a tater tot casserole last night with freezer and pantry items.

Since our freezer was so full at Christmas we "lost" a few things but are now finding them now that the freezer level has gone done a bit. I "lost" a bag of chicken thighs but found them again. I also made a dry rub for seasoning our food. I was thinking of buying some but now that we have a "no buy" anything going on, I have to make some. I found a good one and we really like it. I don't want a BBQ rub or a chipotle but just a simple seasoning for chicken. I would love to find something smoky but haven't found that yet. I'll take suggestions.

I'm ready for summer! Another yukky day here today. More snow and very slick on the roads. But each day is a day closer to spring.

Cheryl, don't forget to get some rest while you are at home today. Join me and Pam by making a pot of soup for that cold day we're all having. With a slice of bread and dinner is served!

Would anyone know if I could make my own kitchen bleach cleaner by just filling the spray bottle with a little bleach and topping it off with water? Since I can't buy it I'll need to make it. I would use it to spray my sink after working with meats or vegetable to sanitize it. I wouldn't use it to spray counters if it were too bleachy. I also don't want my cloths to get bleached out if it happens to touch a cloth.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 10:03:16 AM »
Alice:
I googled "homemade bleach cleaner" and it recommended one part bleach to 9 - 10 parts water in a spray bottle. 

Not sure how that would effect dish towels.  Maybe designate only white based towels to use with or use paper towels if you have them. 

Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline Rooney

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 12:41:53 PM »
Good afternoon ladies!

Good to hear your mom is out of ICU Cheryl! :) :)  Next stop, back home soon?? :)

Well, I guess we are in the same wintery boat here.  A foot of snow maybe, with ice underneath and mixed in some levels?  Not really sure how much since it has drifted quite a bit.  It was supposed to have stopped snowing yesterday afternoon, but we got an extra round of it of around 4 inches.  Kids built snowmen, or tried to...it isn't really the "packing" type of snow, more of the powdery kind.

Today is a normal school day for us.  Don't really know what will be for supper yet.  I have beef and chicken both already cooked and in reheat packets, but I think I may cook something else and save those for days I have appointments on.  May bake some more chicken and either some mac and cheese and a veggie or some baked sweet potatoes.  My meal is always a little different from the kids, usually same meat and veggies minus the carbs or sometimes some sautéed veggies instead.

Nothing exciting here today, just "snowed in" I guess.  At least we got a load of firewood delivered today and will be getting another tomorrow.  Wood heat is so much warmer! And cheaper! :)  Though today the new firewood is still too wet to use.  The boys will need to bring a bunch more in later. 

Other than that, gonna try to get a decent workout in later this afternoon/evening.  My knee has started feeling better and I am walking almost normally, so I started trying to build strength back in it yesterday.  I will take it slowly, so not to reinjure.  Now just need to get the shoulder issue fixed up and will do the same with it and hopefully be back to normal soon.  Probably won't happen that easily, but the twice a week chiropractor appts. should speed it along.

Hope you have a good day at home Pam and travel home from work safely, Alice. :)

That's it I guess.  I am so boring these days, that I sometimes debate even posting about it. :P

Lindsay