Author Topic: Friday, April 6  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Cheryl

Friday, April 6
« on: April 06, 2018, 06:24:42 AM »
Good morning!

I am so sleepy.  I was still in bed when Tony left for work and that never happens!  I'm having my coffee, and maybe it will kick in enough to get me going.

What has everybody been up to?  Today will hold more of the same old, same old for me- still cleaning out our front room we have been using for homeschool and selling things online.  I need to go to the post office today to mail some packages.  It's supposed to rain and I would like to be back before it starts.

Just the usual around here.  Dodging spring storms and trying to get our garden in.  It's hard to do when it's wet out and our temperatures are about 30° below average for our area at this time of year. 

Hope you all have a great day and weekend!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Rooney

Re: Friday, April 6
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 07:41:34 AM »
Hey girls! :)

I really need to make a list before I get going today.  Too much to do .  When I do, it will look something like this:
Dishes
Laundry
Put laundry from yesterday away
Have someone steam clean floors.
Make sure boys bring in more firewood.  It's still cold!!
Lots of reading practice with those needing it.
Go over any questions from first 4 days of school this week with everyone.
Clean on my bedroom.
Figure out supper for tonight and fix that.
Get in a leg and glute workout.
Iron hubby's clothes for next work week.
Take some of the fleece clothes and put into storage. (not that cold anymore, just long sleeves and coats.)

I am sure I will think of more as the day rolls on.

We went to Aldi last night.  I really like the new Aldi remodel.  I can go right down the aisles and get what we need without even having a list.  Well, almost, I forgot grass-fed beef (of all things!!). I don't know, it is nice to know where everything is in the store, but I am finding it is boring too, because I'm not really buying anything new from week to week.  The kids and I were talking about how we are SO ready for watermelons and cantelopes.  My daughter was like, "Yesss! Get some today Mom1"  She wasn't happy to learn it is a seasonal thing. ;)  So I guess I am just bored with food again and need a change.  Any good low carb meal or snack ideas would be welcomed.

According to my in-house "weatherman", we are supposed to have one day next week that it is supposed to be 76 degrees.  We are  definitely going to be out there in that!  Don't think we are supposed to have many of those this month, just mostly rain.

Cheryl, hope Emily has an easier time with the geometry today.  And you too, Momma! :)  I couldn't stand math in school either, but now with the older kids, the stuff I thought was boring and hard in math, is now fun. :)

Hey Pam, on my keyboard, funny thing, I just noticed the reason my question mark key didn't work, was somebody was being cute and switched the question mark key with the down arrow key. Ha!  I will find the guilty party and make them fix that. ;)

If you have time stop by on here tomorrow.  I will be here with the littles while hubby and older boys go work on the rental business.

Hey, does anyone else love THE OFFICE?  I never watched it before, and now I am hooked!  Yep, Dwight is my favorite!! ;D

Lindsay

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 01:14:08 PM »
Hi Ladies,

Thought I'd pop on. I come by and read now and then to see what you're up to. Some days I am fed up with facebook, yet it's how I make plans with my hiking groups so I haven't figured out how to realistically ditch it.

We are in the middle of a big teacher non-strike, AKA as a "work stoppage" or "walkout". I guess it's technically NOT a strike because they aren't members of a union. The kids essentially had a second Spring break this past week, and it doesn't look like they'll be going back Monday. I have mixed feelings--there definitely need to be some changes made in education funding in our state (possibly by a change in budget, not necessarily more taxes) but I'm not sure this is the best way to go about it. But my opinion doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. :(

I have been slacking on my walking lately. Hiking has been down due to weather and kids home, too. I need to get back on the ball to be ready for my 165 mile backpacking trip this fall. Actually, looking into it more, it may be 180 because the river you have to cross to get to the parking lot at mile 165 can be above waist high and I don't see myself crossing that. I've honestly just been in a bit of a depressed funk and am lacking motivation in so many areas. Hoping that changes very soon!

Our weather went from a high of 80 early afternoon yesterday down to 27 this morning. I thought our wind chill was supposed to be teens but saw later that it was actually 6. Hoping the baby peaches on our trees survived--we tried to cover with tarps so we'll see.

We're going out to friends' home about 20 miles from here for dinner and movies tonight. I'm taking rolls and a dessert so am working on those this afternoon. I baked a shortbread crust in a 9 x 13 pan and will cover with a cream cheese filling, then organic strawberries cut up and coated in a homemade strawberry topping. Kinda combining recipes and hoping it comes out well.

Lindsey, I was where you've been working out and losing weight. Do you mind if I ask what kind of workouts you are doing these days? You do all sorts of interesting things. Mallory (my 13, almost 14 yo), has asked me to be her "trainer" to get her ready for ROTC next year in high school. We slacked this week with school out, though.  :-\

Cheryl, you sound busy with your cleanout and selling. Feels good to clear things, though, I bet! Just did my clothes last weekend and it's so nice to have no clutter.

Pam, sounds like you have been on the go a lot! Hope you're having a great weekend!

Catherine

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 08:12:48 PM »
Hey Catherine!  What a pleasant surprise! :)

Wow, how to answer what I have been doing as far as workouts, let's see... first off I should say that I was where you are (in a funk) for about a year and a half.  Then back in October, a switch just flipped in me and I decided "I am going to try and look like a fitness model!"  HA!  Big goals.....BIG goals.

So I started with my diet, since it is 70 percent of the equation.  Just keeping macros in line.  Low carb, moderate healthy fat, and lots of lean protein and veggies. Oh and I found an amazing protein shake and all natural pre-workout drink to get me going everyday.  I get so tired around that time of day.  Gotta have my Pre-workout to get movin'!! :P 

So I have been doing a 6 day a week routine with Sundays completely off. 
Monday-    Shoulders/triceps/chest/30 min of non/muscle burning cardio
Tues.-       glute/legs/light stomach
Wed.-        45 min non muscle burning cardio/intense core workout
Thurs.-      biceps/lats/30 minutes non muscle burning cardio
Friday-      glute/legs/lower back
Sat.-        45 min. NMB cardio/intense core workout
Sun.-       Give my body a break!

The main difference in my workouts is that I am doing supersets on everything, 4 supersets of everything, and only 45 seconds to 60 seconds between supersets, so my heart rate remains in fat burn through all six days workout.  I have a home gym, and the kids love working out when I do.  If I had to join a gym, it would never happen.  So I have about 4-6 pounds left to lose (while adding muscle at the same time).  Then I guess it is just about maintaining, making gains in the weights I am putting up and getting more definition.  The main and best part of it is I feel better now than I did when I was 25 (except for the joint pain, part of getting older, I guess).  I can't wait to get to workout time everyday.  It is like my body craves it now. 

Oh, and I found some really good youtubers that help me mix up the different exercises and add new ones in so I don't get bored and my muscles don't get used to the same exercises and I am always keeping them guessing what will be next.  That has really helped too.  After a while, it is almost impossible to get sore, no matter how hard I workout.   So anyway, that is what I am doing on the health front.  :)  Did you say 180 miles??? :o That is amazing!!

Stop by and see us more often. :)

Lindsay
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:28:58 PM by Rooney »

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 08:11:23 AM »
Lindsay (sorry I misspelled your name above), sounds like you have quite a good program going on at your house, kids and all!  Good for you! I actually do know what you mean about your body craving your workout--I was there just a few months ago, before I slacked. :/ It was a strange but good feeling.

No home gym here (and no place to put one), but I got a treadmill off of craigslist last year and have that, along with Bowflex Select Tech weights so I can use from 5-52.5 lbs per arm. I have used my piano bench to bench press and do chest flies and do modified versions of dead lifts and some other things to make it work. I also have a 25 lb kettle bell and some resistance bands so can do a decent variety. I've been considering doing Les Mills Body Pump at the gym but dread the early rise time to get to the gym by 5:15 so haven't taken the plunge yet. (Plus the cost for the YMCA membership.)

My biggest issue is consistency, both with food and exercise. Still working on that one.

Your program sounds great! Keep up the good work!

Catherine
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 02:28:28 PM by greyhoundgirl »

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 02:34:18 PM »
Also adding in response to your comment about it being hard to get sore any more, that I have noticed that with hiking. Once upon a time, almost any hike made me sore. Now I can backpack 10-12 miles per day carrying 35 lbs and climbing mountains and not be sore the next day. (just did a 30 mile trip with a friend over 3 days 3 weekends ago.) So I do see progress even though I'm not working out as consistently right now. Not there yet with lifting weights, though.  ;D Thanks for sharing your program. I am trying to get myself motivated again and enjoyed reading it earlier, and just came back to it this afternoon to re-read.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 03:43:59 PM »
The not being able to get sore thing--I really do think it is just about what your body is used to doing.  I mean if I were to hike 10 miles, no matter how intense my workouts have been, I am telling you the soreness would be BAD.  I am figuring out that switching up exercises is essential in making gains.  I was staying at exactly the same weight for over a month now.  This week, I switched up some exercises and added in some new ones.  Also added in another protein shake (instead of one at night, I have been doing one in the morning as well.)  Weighed today and lost a pound and a half just by making those minor changes.  It is also a balancing act to try and lose body fat while gaining muscle simultaneously.   

You know, since you do have that bowflex weight set, you might want to go on youtube and see what kind of different things they do.  Some people customize workouts based on only having certain things to work with at home and you might be surprised at all the things they come up with.  I am looking into a resistance band set as well and they have tons of stuff you can do with those (most of the exercises look hilarious, but who cares, right? ;D).  I watch Jen Heward, Nikki Blackketter from Gymshark athletic clothing, and another really good channel called Gains by Brains.  They are fitness models, so I try and remember that they get paid to look that way and just use what they do to improve what I am doing.  Doubt working out would be as much fun if your job required you to do it. :P

Too bad you don't live close, maybe we could workout together sometimes.  My husband used to workout with me, but he is still trying to get over the bad arm pain that the fracture and infection he had caused.  Sometimes on days when you are really tired it helps having a workout partner to push you forward.

Lindsay