Author Topic: Thursday, April 19  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Cheryl

Thursday, April 19
« on: April 19, 2018, 06:04:30 AM »
Good morning!

I meant to post yesterday but got busy after Tony left for work.  While organizing my freezer, I found some strawberries. I made a few jars of jam.  Both of my girls love that stuff.

I have been enjoying staying home and working around the house lately.  I'm not going to lie, there have been days in the past where I had rather go to town than stay here and tackle a project. I'm finally, after 8 years of being in this house, getting it to a point I like.  All the downsizing of stuff has paid off.

I don't get to stay home today.  Emily has an 4-H meeting this afternoon.  Their guest speaker will be a master gardener discussing hydroponics. 

I hope you all have a great day!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Thursday, April 19
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 07:51:18 AM »
Good morning!

Day 1 of the extended schools days for us. Felt early though it was only 15 minutes. I'm sitting here having a second cup of coffee with collagen (thinking I'll skip breakfast which is rare for me) trying to plan out the next few paychecks and what goes where. I used to be so good about planning all that ahead and have really slacked lately. But with my trip coming up and needing some "extra" for that, I'm trying to get it all figured out.

Next is to figure out what I'm taking camping equipment-wise and food-wise for this weekend. I have a backpacking commercial meal from PackIt Gourmet of "Texas State Fair Chili" that I think will be Saturday night's dinner. Our class will be partially indoors (at the police station, of all places, because one of the guys works there and got their training room) but also partially outdoors, and with a high of 51 and lows in the 40's with rain all day and camping, I'm thinking warm chili will taste good. I got Buck, our larger dog, a nice dense memory foam bed at TJ Maxx a few weeks ago and was seriously thinking of swiping it for the weekend.  ::) Is that terrible? He has his old bed on the floor still but usually sleeps on this on the cedar chest at the foot of our bed. But, with me gone, he could sleep on the human bed with Earl. Only my torso would be on it, but with my hip issues, I'm thinking it would be good and I could just take a spare pillow for my legs to lie on. I have camping air mattresses but they are so loud when you roll over (which I do a lot of when camping) and my hips are usually aching by morning.

Also planning to get out and weed some areas in the front ahead of the predicted weekend rain. Got zucchini planted yesterday in a large tub and put some squash seeds out last week in some of the raised beds, along with green beans.

Dinner tonight is homemade fried chicken (possibly cut into nuggets for quicker cooking), mashed potatoes, and probably roasted Brussels sprouts. Mallory will be excited.

Cheryl, sounds like you are doing great with the clearing out. I am also guilty of running errands (or doing other things) rather than doing projects at home many times.  :-\

Have a great day!
Catherine

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:56:03 AM »
Good Morning Ladies!

Woke up to guess what? MORE SNOW!?!  What in the world?? The sun is shining, so hopefully it will be gone later this afternoon.  I. Just. Cant anymore!!  It's 38* right now but is suppose to get up to almost 50* later. 

Didn't sleep well, so ended up staying in bed a little too long.  Now I have a few things to catch up on.  Mostly picking up and taking care of clutter that has accumulated around the kitchen and dining room.  Never ending paper piles!  I am going to trash as much as possible.

Still fighting heat surges.  Not full on hot flashes or sweats, but just like that feeling you get right before you pass out - sweaty/clammy kind of stuff.  So inconvenient!!  :P

Need to update a couple things on the computer, but am going to try to stay off it as much as I can today.
Got caught up in some genealogy searches last night, so was on way too long.  But, I finally found my great grandmother's family that I was at a dead end with.  Things were starting to make sense, so I just kept at it. 

We are going to a concert tomorrow night, and then to games Saturday, staying in a hotel there so we can go to games Sunday.  After that, there are only 4 games left.  Hard to believe!

Hope all of you are having a great Springlike kind of day!
Enjoy that warmer weather Cheryl! I would love to see rain instead of this ridiculous snow!! 
Catherine: enjoy your camp out weekend! Sounds fun. I'm sure Buck won't mind if you borrow his bedding! Can't wait to hear all about your adventure!

Pam

Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 09:46:03 AM »
Greetings!

Not much happening around my world! Went out last night to my daughter's last honor's convocation except we only went to pick up the booklet and skipped the rest! She couldn't attend either so we grabbed the book (need it for her scrap book, right?) then went to her apartment to deliver a package and some Qdoba chips and cheese while she is studying hard for pre-exams. She said she has way too much reading right now in her final couple of weeks that she just couldn't take the time out for a time of celebration. We understand.

But it started snowing when we were out and then sleet and I was so glad to get home. Besides, I wanted to watch Survivor. I still like the show and it gives me a purpose to stay up or else I would go to bed much too early.

Pam, I still have my times of heat issues but I have to say that I have fewer of them during the day and even fewer of them at night. I still have them but I know to just push the covers off for a minute and then put them back on so I don't get stiff muscles. I am actually learning how to deal with them and I sleep a bit better at night. I have a fan in my office if I need a quick cool down.

Dinner tonight has to be made quickly so since I didn't plan AGAIN, it will be chicken in the instant pot and then under the broiler for a minute. We'll have plain white rice with that. Still thinking of a veggie--maybe the last of the lettuce that is going to turn the corner soon. I have no other veggies to add to the salad either so we'll see how that works out.

This weekend I will need to make a run for groceries especially fresh stuff. I may need to get some tortillas since we have been having breakfast burritos lately and we all just love them. I make a bunch and freeze them and they are so good for a quick breakfast or even lunch. Maybe I'll make a pile of them this weekend. I know there is yardwork to be done since last weekend the wind was so bad that there are branches and twigs everywhere. I'm sure we'll also try to get a lot of walking in. I figure we are about 3 weeks behind in our spring walk startup.

We are four weeks away from graduation and on reflection I say this has gone fast. So glad all the kids are now graduated and now it's time for them to get out on their own! Sounds horrible, doesn't it? But I'm ready for some resources for myself. I need to upgrade a lot of things. The first things upgraded was a purchase of new bras last weekend. I also got a new black long sleeved shirt last week since my old black shirts all have holes in the elbows from wearing them for 10 years or so. I need other things in due time but I'm not in a hurry. We need better vehicles but that will come in due time also. Maybe a new laptop. Slowly on, we're recycling our old desktops and old cell phones too. They are all unsupported and they are slow so it's time to make room and lose that stuff. Those old computers were used every single day. There were three of them. Mine and two others for kids. There was so much homework being done and papers being written on those old computers and it was money well spent. But it's now done. 

That's my book!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 10:20:45 AM »
After a lot of thought, I've decided to opt out of camping. I really just don't feel like getting all the gear out, lugging it up there, having to get up and fix my breakfast outdoors in rain (cold rain), yada. Plus, dealing with this UTI mess and needing to use the bathroom a lot, and Aunt Flo showed up today to top it off. So I'll have to leave about 5 AM Saturday to get to class by 7 AM, but will have a warm hotel room all to myself that night which will be a treat. And not have to pack up a wet tent Sunday morning at 6 AM. I really enjoy camping usually but am not in the mood at the moment. I have accumulated points that I am using to pay for the hotel room so no out of pocket cost.

Pam, sounds as though you have a fun weekend planned!

Alice, no, not horrible at all. My youngest is 8 and sometimes it feels like forever away. I think I should have had less children. But I love each one and can't imagine not having them at the same time.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 11:39:31 AM »
Hey girls. :)

It was so sunny yesterday and now it is back to cool and dreary again.  I really feel sorry for you, Pam, dealing with snow still.  It is almost May though, so surely it will quit snowing soon. ???  The rest of today is to finish school up (lunch right now), and try to get in an earlier workout than usual and cook supper early so we can get to Aldi before it closes. I need to get a good list together because we are out of pretty much everything.  Also need to run by Walmart for laundry detergent and other non food stuff.  Am I the only one that despises grocery shopping?  I do like a full fridge though, and that would be the way to it. :D

Catherine, I totally get why you wouldn't want to camp and lay on the hard ground all night.  A warm hotel room and dry soft bed sounds way better.  But then, I am biased, because I have never been a fan of tent camping.  The heat or cold....the bugs......the outside bathroom.....the waking up feeling like you have a layer of stickiness all over your body and no shower.  Hotel sounding even better now?????? ;D ;D 

I had to laugh listening to you girls about wanting the kids grown.  We must really be odd birds around here.  We love it when they are young, don't want them to grow up, and are thinking another one doesn't sound half bad! ;D ;D  Yeah, we are different. ;) ;)

Better get on with things if I hope to make it to Aldi tonight.  But right now I need a protein shake!! :)

Lindsay

Offline Alice

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 12:01:51 PM »
In defense of myself, the kids DID grow up and since they did and they became thinking adults, I think it's time for them to go their own way. BUT, I would easily love to go back to the days when they were young when they weren't thinkers and I was smarter than them. It was fun, much easier and having young kids would be wonderful. The only problem is that I have aged and I'm not that younger mom anymore so I don't think I could keep up with a young child anymore. But I can wish. I just didn't think this growing up stuff would happen so fast.

Maybe we should have had more kids but I don't know about that either. We had our kids a bit on the older side since we had a bit of infertility at first. Then they all came at once but we also got old in the meantime. So here I am wishing for young kids again but that would be silly.

At least I can say that we did everything for them and gave them all the resources growing up that they need for this adult life. We sacrificed greatly and wouldn't change a thing.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Rooney

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 12:22:09 PM »
Sorry Alice.  Didn't mean to make you feel like you had to defend yourself in any way.  I was just making fun of myself and how "weird" we are comparably to most others.  I think I make fun of us out of habit, because we are used to being made fun of for our family size.  Easier to just accept we are different because we choose to be and we like it that way and join in on the laughing.  Again, sorry if I offended you, or anyone else for that matter.  That was definitely not my intent. :-[

Offline Alice

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 12:26:36 PM »
No offense taken at all.  Just saying that kids grow up FAST and I'm wishing we could go back and enjoy those days again. They were so much easier then than they are now.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 01:56:57 PM »
My goodness Catherine! If I knew there was an option of your own cozy hotel room, I would have totally encouraged you to take that route, and for sure not borrow the dog's bed!   ;D ;) ;D 

Maybe the UTI was the sign pointing you to check into that hotel, but since you weren't getting it, Aunt Flo showed up to force your hand!  Enjoy that room! Grab a good book, and take a nice long bath!  All of that sounds way better than eating chili out of a pouch in the rain!!

Alice & Lindsay: they do grow up so fast, don't they?  And then a new season rolls around with dating and weddings and all of that.  We are looking forward to the days of grandbabies, but not sure how soon that season will come.  We can wait until they are ready.  No hurry.

Our youngest graduates from college in 3 weeks as well.  We just are trying to enjoy whatever stage we are in as a family at the moment, and recalling the "old days" fondly. 
Hope you can start using resources for things you need and want for yourself soon Alice. 
I know what you mean about that.  We are looking forward to not having to send rent money every month after May 1st!  Yay! 

People say "oh, you just got a big raise", and it's more like - no - now it just won't be such a stretch every month!!  Either way, it will seem easier! (Hopefully!)

Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 02:22:45 PM »
Maybe we should have had more kids but I don't know about that either. We had our kids a bit on the older side since we had a bit of infertility at first. Then they all came at once but we also got old in the meantime. So here I am wishing for young kids again but that would be silly.

Same here on having them older after infertility. Hence I am 44 with an 8 year old.  My thought is you shouldn't have to have hot flashes, periods, teenage girls, and small children at the same time--some days it is just too much.  ;D But I do love them. Am just perpetually tired of parenting. I liked the little kid stage a lot at the time but have absolutely no desire to go back. In fact, I have told my girls(applies to all the kids but my girls are the current teenagers here) that they need to arrange their own child care if they have careers because I am NOT it. I see too many grandmas stuck in that role and I do not want to be. Good for them if they love it (my one hiking friend does not, but feels stuck) but it isn't my thing.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 02:27:01 PM »
Just adding that my perspective may have been clouded by having Earl gone a LOT when the kids were small. Maybe it's different if you're not married to someone in the military. But it is what it is. Still don't want to go back.