Author Topic: Thursday, May 31  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Cheryl

Thursday, May 31
« on: May 31, 2018, 05:53:53 AM »
Good morning on this last day of the month!

I got up early intending to have some coffee, but it's so humid outside that coffee doesn't really sound appealing now.

Today's weather is going to be much like yesterday's and the past several days - hot, muggy, rain at times.  Hopefully I can dodge the rain long enough to cook outside because I am not looking forward to turning on the oven when it's so humid out.

Hope to hear from you today!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Re: Thursday, May 31
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 07:00:11 AM »
Oh my! What a couple of weeks we've had!

Oh and good morning!

Following our daughters' graduation on May 19 she went to my brothers house to house sit their cats while they accompanied my parents to the Netherlands for a 10 visit with family. Daughter got a very bad cold probably as a result of coming down from a very exciting and busy week. She's getting better.

On Monday, Memorial Day it was my task to retrieve the parents and my brother from the airport at 6:30 pm but my brother texted me and said they missed their flight in Amsterdam. Mom was having some trouble with diarrhea perhaps from something she ate on Saturday night. Her sister (who lives in the Netherlands) had the same problem so they think they ate something bad. They did get a flight back 4 hours later but the layover in Detroit was much longer so they didn't get back until almost midnight.

Then my daughter (same one who graduated) and her boyfriend were going to drive to Connecticut to bring her to her internship via a route through Canada to see Niagara Falls and travel through Montreal. They were going to leave Tues. at 10 am but his car was making a lot of noise and the clutch (manual transmission) was having trouble. He brought it to the dealership who could fix the problem but it wasn't done until 4 pm. But they did start out anyway last night and arrived at their first destination at midnight. They are young so they can handle this. I'm just glad the problem was discovered and fixed before the long trip.

This same daughter applied to graduate school quite late this spring and on Sunday she received her acceptance with a big scholarship to go with it! So after her internship in Connecticut she is moving to Ohio to get ready for school to begin in late August. My oldest daughter who lives and teaches in Honduras is also beginning grad. school this fall. Hers will be online with her principal as the mentor. Both grad. work for the daughters is two years but it still is very exciting.

So that is what is going on in my world. All of these things are exciting and very tiring for me. I fell asleep so hard last night that when my alarm rang this morning I felt like I wasn't with it. Our son isn't going to grad school but he is getting going in his chemist work and he likes it a lot. But that is what he is trained to do. We're going to have a weekend with no kids home so we'll make the most of it. With all the activity and all the food that was made, they ate us clean so we will have to get a few fresh items. I have a stocked freezer and though we used a bunch of stuff from there I really need to make a few freezer meals. I will say that my Instant Pot has come in handy last night. When the young people hadn't left yet I knew I needed to make something for two additional people. I got some frozen chicken from the freezer and placed it in the bottom of the cooker with water and Mrs. Dash's garlic herb seasoning. Then I placed a vegetable steamer on the of the chicken and put 4 big potatoes in the steamer with some salt and cooked it for 25 minutes. We had a wonderful chicken dinner with the best baked potatoes for dinner in less than an hour.The young people took theirs "to go" to eat on the road and we had ours with BBQ sauce.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 10:08:18 AM »
Good Mor-noon Ladies!

Nice to see you both today.  I am taking a little break of putting my living/dining room back together.  Have gone through some papers and magazines and thinned out a lot of junk.  My dining room rug should arrive today, so then I can get the dining room back together.  The living room furniture is set to be delivered tomorrow some time. 

I thought we were suppose to get a cool down after several very warm days, but looks like it won't be until tomorrow.  Hoping it will be cool enough to turn off the AC and open the doors and windows.

Alice: sounds like you have had a few exciting days.  Did your parents and brother have a good trip to the Netherlands?  Is your mother originally from there, or did her sister move there?

Our son will be starting grad school in the fall in Ohio as well.  Very close to West Virginia, so not as close as it sounds to Michigan.  He will be a graduate assistant coach for the baseball team, so tuition, room and board will be paid for.  Hoping it will be a good experience for him.  It is also a 2 year program.  He will have his Master's in Athletic Coaching and Leadership.  I think he would like to coach professionally in some capacity if he could.  This should give him an advantage in finding a position I would think.  His bachelors is in journalism/communications.  Not sure how these work together, but it is what it is.

Not too much else happening in my world.  Just getting things back in order.  Trying to figure out what I am going to be putting on walls. I have one piece for behind a couch, and a clock for the dining room, but need to make some decisions on 3 other walls in the living room.  I will go through some of my nature photos that I have taken, and see if any of those would work for any of them.  I have hung a few things in the living room and entryway, so that is done. 

Hope you all are having a great day.
Cheryl: hopefully you can avoid the rain and get your grilling on!

Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 10:18:22 AM »
Pam--

Both my parents were born and raised in the Netherlands. They were youngsters during the war but old enough to remember a lot. My mom's father owned a grocery store which was a room in his house. He was wanted by the Germans so there was a trap door under the rug which was under the dining room table where he would hide when the kids got wind the Germans were coming. My dad's father was a farmer and they rarely went hungry because they grew a lot of what they ate and sold. There are more stories for a different day. My parents met here in the US when dad's entire family came here to live and mom wanted an adventure so she came to live with her aunt and uncle and went to nursing school at Pine Rest. Language was an issue and she didn't stay in the program though she was a CNA all her life.

All my aunts and uncles and cousins still live there and I know them all (except for my cousins' kids whom I've never met).

My daughter is going to Wright State University this fall.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 11:18:41 AM »
Wow, that's really interesting Alice.  I hope you have written down your parent's stories so they don't get lost in the future.  Something your descendants will want to know someday, I'm sure.

My son will be at University of Rio Grande in Southern Ohio.  About half way to our oldest son in Richmond VA.  Not excited about having 2 of the 3 so far away, but excited for the opportunity for him.

Thanks for sharing your parents' stories. 
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25