Author Topic: Monday, June 25  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Cheryl

Monday, June 25
« on: June 25, 2018, 06:13:55 AM »
Good morning!

It's been two weeks since the last post on here.  I guess everybody got busy and left.

I am sitting here having my coffee, thinking about all I need to do, and making a list so I remember it all.  So far my list has 14 items and my motivation is near zero! ;D

Where is everybody?  Cathy, Alice, Pam, Lindsay?  Anybody else still checking in?  Miss you all and hope to hear from you.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Re: Monday, June 25
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 09:10:43 AM »
Good Morning, Ladies!

It has been a crazy couple of weeks in my life. I don't even know where to start.

Our youngest daughter who is interning in Connecticut asked us a few weeks ago what we thought about a wedding venue in Ohio next July. What did she just say? Apparently, there is a wedding in our future. It's quite early on in the planning but I guess venues need to be reserved well in advance. I'll keep you up to date on the events! She also is getting over her normal first two weeks of adjustment. There is a gal on the team who is very anti-Christian and is pretty directing negative and means conversation towards my daughter who is a firm Christian.

Then our oldest daughter has come home for the summer last week. She is having difficulty sleeping as she adjusts to being home and not in the classroom this summer. It's nice to have her home. She had a wonderful year and is looking forward to the next year already.

I have also made plans for a big vacation! I haven't had a vacation in 8 years though I had a week off for moving to a different home 5 years ago. And I have had a day off here and there but never a week long one. I've been waiting for hubby to establish himself in a job and work for a year so he can earn some time off but he has been bouncing from job to job for about 5 years. I have put off a vacation but I'm getting to a point where I need one desperately. So my oldest daughter and I are going to Connecticut to visit our youngest daughter in mid-July. We're flying and renting a car there and we hope to have a wonderful time. Her boyfriend will be there at the same time so I will add him as a driver and let him do all the driving. I'm excited to have a vacation but sad because this was supposed to be a time to go with my husband. 

I'm also going to Shipshewana, Indiana (Amish country) with my oldest daughter tomorrow for the day. Again, these things are supposed to be done with my hubby but he never earns time off when he switches jobs so often. But we love going there and stopping here and there for this and that.

We had a nice weekend doing nothing. Well, mostly nothing. Hubby was researching ways to make more shelving in the small garage by shelves up high. I suggested we recycle a lot of boxes we have on top of three cabinet shelf unit that stands up against one wall. I also suggested that the shoes on the ground should be put on some kind of shelving because we trip over shoes every time we come out of the house. There is no where to put them so he made more shelving on the side of a cabinet and that took care of the shoe problem. We recycled a lot of boxes that we saved through the years and that gave us more room so making more shelving became unnecessary! Win! Win! So now the garage is all cleaned up and no clutter to trip over anymore.

Now that we have 4 adults in the home for the summer, we're plowing through the freezers. The kitchen freezer has had the most food used. But the garage freezer is not full to the top anymore so that is progress also. The daughter at home is trying to go gluten free to help her skin and acne. As we move through this we're finding that we actually do a good job of eating less gluten already without even being deliberate about it. So I'm saying that we are going to have to be a "reduced gluten" family. The plan is to just keep eating from the freezer this summer as much as possible.

So that's my updates from the past couple of weeks. We're moving into audit time so my time here will again be limited.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 10:06:27 AM »
Alice, your vacations sound wonderful!  Enjoy your well deserved time off work.  Congratulations on your daughter's upcoming wedding! 
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 05:49:31 AM »
Alice, what part of Connecticut will you visit? I went to the Berkshires (NW Connecticut and SW Massachusetts) last month and want to move there now. Absolutely gorgeous country! I lived in Connecticut briefly as a child but that was over in the SE part of the state (Waterford). Lots going on for you right now! Enjoy your day trip!

Cheryl, hope you got lots done and found some motivation.

I took the boys blackberry picking yesterday morning, then brought home the berries. We went to lunch and then to Sam's, then came home for some quiet time. After that I made a blackberry pie. Today (Tuesday), dropping the boys for a church trip to the science museum at OKC by 8, then will go to W-mart for some items. Then need to drop Sammie the poodle mix off for grooming at 9:30. This is only the 2nd time we've paid to have him done but he is long overdue and we still need a part for our clippers. Hoping to have him clipped this time then keep it up ourselves. In between, I hope to spend the day at home. The boys should be back by 4:30 but have their bowling lessons at 6:30. This is free other than shoe rental and we figure a good way for them to try something new. Hoping that Earl will take them tonight or else that he will go with me and we'll bowl while waiting. The boys have a lesson then bowl 3 games so are there awhile.

Can I just say that it is a weird adjustment cooking only for 4? Food goes so much farther! And that's with Micah (10) who seems to have hit a growth spurt. He EATS right now! I have almost a month with only two kids home--Maddy, oldest, is gone all summer. June 10-16, Morgan and Micah were at camp. Dropped Morgan and Mallory off in OKC with my parents last Wednesday the 20th. They will arrive home July 3rd and my parents will take the boys July 4-13. Enjoying this semi-break on the cooking.

Have a great day, all! Yes, I know this is on Monday's post but wanted to answer Cheryl and Alice.
Catherine

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 07:43:05 AM »
Catherine,

My daughter is at the Mystic Seaport Museum and so we'll fly in to the Providence, RI airport and drive to Mystic/Groton area. Not sure about what our plans are for sightseeing yet but we'll hang around in the general area for the few days we are there.

I am unfamiliar with the East Coast of the United States so we'll see where we find ourselves!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 10:53:50 AM »
Sorry - I have been MIA as well.  Summer is so busy for us.  I thought it MIGHT slow down now that we don't have a baseball player anymore, but it really hasn't. 

We were on Mackinac Island from Friday through Tuesday of last week.  We had a great time, but hubs had a lot of commitments for work so our schedule was really choppy, and we didn't have much time to hike and explore the Island together.  I did have a nice walk alone one day though.  We will have to be more deliberate the next time we go, so we can get some together hiking time.

Thursday I spent the day with my HS friend.  We went to see a lavender farm.  It was cute, but not really anything too exciting. We will need to go to one of the ones up north that are more extensive.  But, we lunched together, and had a great day!

Sunday we went to our son's baseball game. He is no longer playing, but is an assistant coach for a team that is in a collegiate league about an hour from here.  The players are from major programs, like Oklahoma State, Notre Dame and the like.  It is a great opportunity for him. 

Monday did my usual around here, and then went to the James Taylor/Bonnie Raitt concert here in town.  It was a great show.  Really enjoyed it!  But, have always loved JT. 

Last night we finally had some time off, so we had steak fajitas for dinner, and then went for a long walk in a local park.  It's a favorite of mine, because if you park at one end and walk all the way to the other end and back it is about 3 miles.  Nice and relaxing.  During the day I had a chiropractor appt. and then went to have a pedicure.  I usually do it myself, but really felt like a professional one was in order.  Glad I went.

Today was my regular weight watchers day.  My friend checked in, but then left on on vacation, so no walk and lunch.  I came home, and finished a computer research project my hubs needed help with.  Got that done, and now am doing laundry.  Just a couple of quick loads for weekend prep.  Hubs is leaving tomorrow early, and has several things going on.  He will be gone until Sunday night.  Need to make sure he has the clothes and things he needs.  Not sure what I will be doing this weekend.  Just reading a book, or who knows.  Will be nice to have a relaxing few days.

Guess that is what has been going on here.  Just has been a couple of busy weeks, so that is why my posting has been lacking.  Thanks Cheryl for getting us back on track!   :D

Have a great day!  Steak fajita rice bowls for dinner for us tonight.  How about y'all??

Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 12:55:48 PM »
Catherine,

My daughter is at the Mystic Seaport Museum and so we'll fly in to the Providence, RI airport and drive to Mystic/Groton area. Not sure about what our plans are for sightseeing yet but we'll hang around in the general area for the few days we are there.

I am unfamiliar with the East Coast of the United States so we'll see where we find ourselves!

Alice

That's right by where we lived! We often ate at the creamery there and visited the Mystic Aqaurium My dad is originally from Providence.

Have fun!