Author Topic: Thursday, July 5, 2018  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Thursday, July 5, 2018
« on: July 05, 2018, 09:53:26 AM »
Knock, Knock, anyone home today?

Well, it's back to work today. It didn't feel like a holiday since it was just one day off in the middle of the week. But I won't complain for a day off! It was a hot and blistery and humid day that there really was nothing that could be done outside. We stayed in most of the day in the comfort of A/C. We did venture outside about 3 pm to grill a bunch of meat on my new grill with a grilling mat. Have you ever tried a grilling mat? Our is reusable and I LOVE it! It keeps the grates clean but still gives the food some of the grate outline on the meat. It was really good and juicy meat and it browned nicely.

OK, let's talk fireworks. Oh, my, but popping and booming started already on Tuesday night and it freaked my cats out (as it does every year) that one cat was vomiting. Blah.  Then it started again last night and this time the same cat was crying. They were so scared. I doubt it is over and we'll have another night or two or three of the popping and booming. The cat doesn't like to be held or cuddles so I guess she just has to endure it. The problem is that she is traumatized and jumpy long after it is all done. I've come to dislike the 4th of July and now I don't even want to go and see fireworks. My cats are part of the family and I need to be with them.

We had a nice day with everyone having the day off which was really nice. Our son normally works 7 days per week but he had the day off which was really nice for him. We kept it low key for everyone since we all have to work today. I made a dozen bagel breakfast sandwiches and coffee for everyone with plenty of sandwiches leftover for today. Then at 3 pm we had beef steak, chicken and pork steak on the grill with salad, corn, stir fired cauliflower rice and strawberry rhubarb sauce. Then cheesecake and strawberry sauce for dessert. We had enough leftovers so I could put together containers of food for my son to pack when he works weekends. There is not enough for supper tonight so I'll make chicken gumbo hamburger BBQ on buns with an asian salad. There should be enough cheesecake for dessert.

Not much else going on for me today. How is your day?

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Rooney

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 10:15:20 AM »
Hi Alice. :)

We had such a fun 4th!!  It is my kids second favorite holiday after Christmas.  We spent the afternoon out under the shade canopies eating popsicles, watching the littles have a blast on the inflatable waterslide.  It has a pool at the bottom,  the bigger guys even got to stay cool.  Got tons of pictures!  Then we had family over and had our usual big fireworks display.  This year was incredible though.  Our neighbors had a huge party where everyone chipped in and they had more than a truckload of fireworks.  Two hours worth of AMAZING stuff!!  Seriously, it was better than the downtown display our city puts on! :o  They seemed to have it set to music too!  The kids said we were in a contest with them to see who put on the best display.  One child said they definitely won, but I said I think we did because we got to watch a two hour display from home and didn't have to pay for it!  LOL 

So this afternoon will be party cleanup, but first I am going to get a workout in and then have to run hubby some lunch into town.  I got confused with him being home yesterday and thought it was Saturday, so forgot to fix his lunch for today. :P 

Alice, maybe next year when it gets loud, put your cats in a room with the tv or radio turned up loud to drown out the fireworks?

Need to get at it.  Full rest of the day ahead.

Lindsay

Offline Cheryl

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 07:25:17 PM »
Good evening, Alice and Lindsay.

I have been so busy today making pickle relish, picking blackberries, picking and shelling beans. I started shelling beans after lunch and didn't finish til nearly 7 pm.  I have a blister on my thumb from it.  Guess I will get them canned tomorrow.

We went to Tennessee yesterday and just spent some time driving around the Amish community.  We stopped by the produce auction but didn't stay too long.  It was so hot we decided we would be better off riding around with AC. :)

We got home around 6 and just ate a sandwich for supper.  We were just getting relaxed when BOOM!  Some idiot set off a stick of dynamite!  My whole house shook, the windows rattled, even my bed moved.  Scared me and the cats! 

That's about all of the excitement I have had.  Every day is more of the same - hot, humid weather, me working in the garden and canning. That's it.  I am almost ready for fall or at least some days with cooler temps
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn