Author Topic: Friday, Aug. 3, 2018  (Read 1127 times)

Offline pamgonzo

Friday, Aug. 3, 2018
« on: August 03, 2018, 03:02:13 PM »
Hello Ladies!

I have been MIA for a bit.  Things have been extremely busy, and I have only been opening my laptop a couple times a week. 

My trip with my parents went as well as could be expected.  High anxiety for me, but hubby was awesome at keeping me from totally losing my mind! My mom tended to act as though she was unable to do anything for herself, and needed help with pretty much everything.  It was so interesting, because she hobbled around until she saw us talking to someone she didn't know and she shot across the room like an olympian.  That kind of thing gets on my nerves.

Upon returning, my back was way way out of whack.  I went to the chiropractor for a treatment, and it was quite aggressive to get me back straight.  Great.  The next day I said to hubs "wow. He must have really drove my bra hooks into my back, because that really hurts".  He took a look and said "no, that looks like a rash or something."  Hmmm, interesting.  Jump ahead a couple of days, and we were having our youngest and his gf here to celebrate his bday on the only day he had off.  Busy getting gifts together, blah blah, and all of that stuff.  Finally took another look at the "rash" and to the other spots that had spread around my torso.  Guess what?  It was shingles!  UGH!!  I said to son's gf, "I just hope it isn't shingles".  She is in nursing school, and took a look.  She said "I'm not sure, but it kinda looks like it could be"  Called my dr. & got in the next day.  She said "what brings you in today?"  me: "I'm concerned I might have shingles".  She opened the gown and immediately said "yup. that's what it is". 
She put me on an anti-viral, and it is pretty much gone.  Luckily I feel like I had a pretty mild case, because I could pretty much take care of the pain with tylenol.  Others have told me that their experience was the most pain they had ever had.

Life keeps moving though.  We did cancel some plans we had for that weekend, and I was glad about that.  I was more tired than in pain.  Monday this week we were in the Upper Peninsular for hubs' radio show, and then a concert Monday night.  We then spent the day Tuesday on Mackinac Island.  Also for hubs' radio show, and for his real job.  It was a busy couple of days.  The rest of this week was normal, but tomorrow we are headed back up to the U.P. for another concert.  We saw a billboard for this retro 80's show featuring Belinda Carlisle from the Go-Go's.  On the spur of the moment, we made plans with my HS friend and her husband to go.  I am really excited for a non business trip just for fun!

That is pretty much what I have been up to as of late.  Hoping to get back into a better schedule of checking in with all of you ladies!  Hope everyone is feeling good, and that your weather is pleasant.

Hope your turkey turned out tasty Alice.  How was the kayak trip Catherine?
Will check in soon!
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Friday, Aug. 3, 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 06:44:58 PM »
Good evening!

Hi Pam. Good to hear from you, but so sorry to hear about the shingles. It's been several years since I had them but it wasn't fun. Hope your back is feeling better. Kayaking was fun, as usual. Hoping to go again maybe next Friday. Around here, we have to plan trips around the wind speeds. Some of the lakes get huge waves even with winds of 9-11 mph, just depending on where they are situated and how the mountains protect them. And we often have higher wind speeds than that.

Got up a little before 5 to leave the house at 5:30 AM this morning so as to start hiking by 6:30 AM, both to beat the worst of the heat and because I needed to take Morgan for her middle school check-in which was walk-in between 8 and 11:15 AM. My friend Bonnie and I did around 5 miles, partially on trail and partially off, and saw quite a bit of wildlife including 4 deer, many Longhorn, a possible fox (didn't get a great look), and a feral hog. Pumpkin the cat had her rabies shot this afternoon, so I felt like I have been on the go most of the day. We did homemade pizza for dinner, with mine on a low-carb tortilla. Mallory is at a youth group pool party and Maddy doesn't come home from her camp job until tomorrow, so it's just Earl and me and the three younger kids.

Thinking I am going to go make up some smoothie bags, so as to use up a tub of organic spinach before it goes bad. If I have the spinach, blueberries, banana, and chia seed combined already, it should be super quick and easy to add almond milk and protein powder on school mornings.

Hope you all have a great evening!
Catherine

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Re: Friday, Aug. 3, 2018
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »
It's Saturday...completely didn't even check out the forum yesterday.

Pam, I made the turkey and it was delicious! Having a turkey in August sounds strange but it made having turkey taste wonderful! I might actually do this again. Too much turkey from November through January just isn't my thing but it sure was good in August.

The weather is just too warm out for me this afternoon. So we did our errands this morning and I needed to work through some veggies this afternoon. We bought some green beans that I froze, some corn that I froze and a neighbor gave me a white and red cabbage that I froze. We bought some discounted specialty bread at Horrock's that I sliced and froze and that was pretty much my day.  Oh, and we went to an estate sale and bought a lazy boy chair for our living room. The prices on all their stuff was way to low but we bought some stuff anyway. So sad that all that beautiful furniture wasn't wanted by a family member.

The work week was good but long after having been on vacation for the six work days previously. Daughter is doing well and it's her birthday tomorrow. Her boyfriend will be with her this weekend and then in two weeks she will be home already. Oldest daughter leaves this coming Thursday morning (very early in the morning). I think she had a good summer. All these changes mean that summer is coming to an end. I wish it could be summer for a lot longer.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats