Author Topic: Monday, August 20, 2018  (Read 1197 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Monday, August 20, 2018
« on: August 20, 2018, 05:25:56 AM »
Good morning!

Can't remember the last time I started a thread. But I'm sitting here with my coffee in my few moments of quiet and thought, "why not?"

Heading on a training hike this morning, training for my October backpacking trip. Though I hike at least weekly, sometimes twice a week, and walk on the treadmill some at home, it's been too hot for the longer hikes with heavier loads. But today is a bit cooler with a forecast high of only 90, so off we go. My friend that I'm going with is in her late 60's and heading back to do Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas with her two daughters at the end of September. I am planning to do Section 2 of the Ouachita Trail in October. 27.9 miles but I'll have 2.5 days. So today we plan on 8-10 miles with our big packs. I have done 8 miles in this area in about 3 hours, but on a 20-40 degree day in the winter where we didn't need to drink as much water.

Other than that, same old same old. Take the five kids to their 3 respective schools. Laundry, make dinner, etc... . Earl refs volleyball tonight and Mallory as well (she can only ref middle school because she's in high school).

Jennie, it was so good to hear from you! I was trying to think how old your little boys must be now? Mine are 8 and 10, so hard to believe.

Pam, hope your back is continuing to feel better.

Lindsay, are you all back to homeschooling or do you start a bit later? Hope the flu is over at your house and all are well.

Have a great week, all.

Catherine
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:27:21 AM by greyhoundgirl »

Offline Cheryl

Re: Monday, August 20, 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 11:35:31 AM »
Good afternoon, Catherine and all.

Time got away from me this morning, and I am just now getting around to posting.  Emily has started her freshman year, so that's keeping me a little busy going over her lessons and making sure she is doing all she's supposed to do.

Nothing new to report around here.  I'm back to working on purging more things from the house.  Well, not really back to it since it seems like I am constantly trying to finish this.  I've got a load ready to take to the thrift store now. 

We have been working on our bedroom for a couple of days.  We have painted the walls, added new trim, and a new bookshelf.  I was tired of my books being scattered all over the house, but now they are in one central location and it's much easier to find what I am looking for. 

Guess that's about it for me.  Have a great day, everyone!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Rooney

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 01:07:11 PM »
Hi girls. :)

Well, we are all still pretty sick here.  Hoping today is the last really "bad" day of this flu-like thing we have acquired.  I guess it is the flu, it has a fever with it and all of the flu symptoms.  Hubby is the only one that has avoided it so far and I am really hoping he doesn't get it.  His job is very demanding and sickness makes it that much more difficult.  He doesn't really get "sick" days. 

Catherine, yeah, we started back homeschooling already.  I wanted to get a jump on the school year.  Now I am glad I did because of these sick days.  This week will be our 3rd week, (assuming we are well enough tomorrow to get back at it).  That is my plan, anyway.  Interesting to hear about were you are hiking.  My husband used to live a couple of hours from where you are going.  He also used to hunt a lot up in the Ozarks.  I remember he talks about a place called Sugar Loaf Mountain a lot.  Have you ever been there?

Cheryl, it does get more in depth with the older ones, doesn't it.  I have a 15 year old this year and it keeps me busy checking all his work, quizzes and testing.  Thank goodness for answer keys, right? ;) :D

Lindsay

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 07:59:19 PM »
Lindsay, no, haven't been to Sugar Loaf Mountain yet. Was supposed to do the Ozark Highlands Trail this fall but the guy heading it up cancelled and plans to do it in the spring now, and I doubt I can go then (Maddy is a senior and there are lots of activities for that in April and May). Last year, we did Eagle Rock Loop just a little SE of Mena. Arkansas is so pretty! Sorry you still have sickness at your house. :(

Cheryl, your room makeover and new bookshelf sounds like fun! I mean, now that it's done. :) Not sure why, but it hadn't clicked for me that Emily and Mallory are the same age.

We ended up doing 9.7 miles and 96 floors, and were out 4 hours and 15 minutes. I'm pretty pleased with that time as it included lunch and all our other short stops (tying shoes, drinking water, two to fish out a bandaid for a blister on my finger, etc... ) and is not straight and flat. Much of it is very eroded and you have to watch footing. And I found out the lady I went with today is actually 70, not late 60's. You wouldn't know it; she is fitter than most 40-50 year olds I know. I hope I am like that as I age.

Have a good evening!