The Kitchen is the Heart of the Home > The Cook House

Share your best slow cooker recipes

(1/2) > >>

gaggleofseven:
I bought a 4 quart Crock Pot slow cooker and want to try some new recipes. Can you share your best slow cooker recipes? I am particularly looking for some non-tomato recipes for variety.

What I make regularly: sloppy joes, spaghetti sauce, taco seasoned meat (either ground beef or turkey), cowboy beans ... that's about it.

Looking forward to your recipes, ideas, suggestions, links, etc.!

Jennie

greyhoundgirl:
Carnitas is a favorite around here. I have made this recipe for several years now. Only thing is, you might have to halve it to fit a 4 quart slow cooker. I was using a 7 quart before the lid broke and now do it in an 8 quart instant pot (generic one). I do NOT add the can of Rotel at the end--left it out once by mistake and we liked it better without. And I usually sub pintos for the other beans as the others were hard to find around here.

http://preschoolersandpeace.com/blog/crockpot-pork-carnitas?rq=carnitas

gaggleofseven:
This looks good, and I would have most ingredients on hand. How do you serve it? It looks versatile (in tortillas, over rice, etc.), which is good with picky eaters. ;)

I decided to down-size my slow cooker (6 qt to a 4 qt) as fewer kids were eating at home. I am looking forward to using this new 4 qt because it's oval instead of round, so larger cuts of meat should fit better.

Thanks, Catherine!

greyhoundgirl:
You're right; it is versatile! The kids usually eat it in tortillas. I don't think we've had it over rice but that would definitely work as well. I often just put the bean and meat mixture in a bowl with toppings and eat it that way for a lower carb option, or have it with tortilla chips on the side if I'm not watching carbs. I usually put out cheese, sour cream, salsa, and guacomole if we have it.

I don't have a slow cooker at the moment, but am looking at the 8 quart (still  oval) as I'm at the opposite stage, I guess--all five kids at home and three seem to be in their growth spurts, plus Earl likes leftovers for his work lunch. I had the 7 quart oval and liked it because I could easily fit a large whole chicken. I have a 6 quart Instant Pot and an 8 quart generic version but both are round. I do like them for many things, but sometimes miss the slow cooker as I don't feel the slow cook option on the IP cooks the same (seems to cook way lower and I haven't had much success judging cook times).

greyhoundgirl:
Another one I thought of is drip beef sandwiches. I had never heard of these till a couple of years ago, but they are SO good! I cannot remember what recipe I ended up using the first time, but know I had looked at Pioneer Woman's so here's a link to that: https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/drip-beef-two-ways/ I went with the Italian style.

However, that said, I have since just winged it on my own for a simpler version because I don't regularly keep pepperoncini peppers around. And I also don't buy onion soup mix any more. I put in the roast, a good amount of minced and powdered dry onion, salt, pepper, and pour on beef broth. Cook till almost falling apart, then shred and put back into the broth/liquid till ready to eat. We can get these rolls called bollo rolls at the local grocery for .25 each, so I usually serve it on those, but any type of crusty roll or baguette bread, or even some French or Italian bread cut sub style would work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version